Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Question on Arthrosurface  (Read 4400 times)

Offline wc

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Question on Arthrosurface
« on: October 17, 2009, 12:55:17 AM »
I am an active 46 year old male who was recently (September) diagnosed with a 1 cm defect in lateral trochlear groove of right knee. I can walk ok but have some trouble with stairs and can no longer run. The surgeon I saw back in September suggested I take it easy for 6 to 8 weeks and see if it would get better but come back if it does not to talk about treatment options. I have done research on microfracture and ACI and both depress me due to long recovery period and chance of failure.  I have learned about the arthrosurface treatment and it seems superior but is it for real in terms of being effective and having shorter recovery period of the alternatives? Would a surgeon go straight to the arthrosuface system rather than do microfracture?  The company markets the product as being for people in my age range (too old for microfracture and too young for total replacement). I hear that some believe micro should be done first and arthrosurface done only if it fails. But isn't it better to minimize the number of surgeries you have? 

Offline mmrocker13

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: Question on Arthrosurface
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:37:45 PM »
Arthrosurface isn't a first line treatment, really. It's far less invasive than a UKR, true... but it's still more so than a MF or ACI or OATS. Age is just a number--really, when considering 'age" in terms of treatments, you also have to consider activity level. It's true that MF is genrally for younger patients...but if you are fairly athletic, and in your mid-40s, I'd probably try MF before I did an arthrosurface. But that's just me...
89 (age 12): Pat. dislocation, lat. meniscus tear, femoral OCD lesion
89: debridement, chondroplasty, lateral partial menisectomy
02: partial lateral menisectomy, debridement
02: microfracture
09: subtotal menisectomy, debridement, c'plasty
10: scope/debridement
10: open wedge varus DFO
13: HWR

Offline bridge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 04:33:11 PM »
Following an arthroscopy that left me in more pain than before I am now awaiting the call into hospital for an arthrosurface.

I am terrified - probably because of the failure of the 1st procedure but also the thought of surgery is scary.

If I know more about the whole deal I'm hoping it will all seem a little less stressful but I don''t know what questions to ask.  Can  anyone fill me on on things like - how long does the op take?  will I need blood transfusions? what will I feel like the next day?  Is the relief from pain immediate? etc etc  All that I've read about recovery is that is varies patient to patient - but that seems rather vague.

I'd really appreciate any advice on offer.

Thanks
Bridget (London)

Offline tnt23tnt23

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 04:35:37 AM »
I had arthrosurface done on my left knee Jan 19 2010 and my knee is still swelled and I am unable to walk.I am in constant pain and miserable. I been in PT for 2 weeks and I only have 5 degree of ROM (RANGE OF MOTION) in my knee. I am a 33 year old with 2 children at home. I regeret having this surgery and want my old knee back.... at the time i thought the pain i was in with the old knee was bad but this is beyond miserable.

Offline docmom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 06:49:12 PM »
Bridget,

Have you checked out the arthrosurface website? (www.arthrosurface.com) Lots of information there.

Hope you're doing well -- knowledge is power, I always say!

Nelly

Offline jmg18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 03:06:19 PM »
I also had an arthrosurface done on on my left knee on March, 2010, and it's now about 12 weeks later.  I've worked EXTREMELY hard at "doing the right thing" via physical therapy, but my knee is in a great deal of pain, and still buckling on me - mush worse than before the surgery.  My age is 46, and with 2 kids, this is a real drag.  My old knee was better than this.
Range of motion isn't too much of a problem, although I am having trouble with getting my quad to fire properly.  Can't lift my leg out straight all the way.  (Sitting in a chair and lifting it out straight - it just won't straighten out that last 10-15 degrees.)
I don't think there are enough statistics in on this procedure yet!  My doctor and physical therapist are both top-notch (Boston), but I regret this.

Offline Iceman7

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
I had Arthrosurfacing done on my Right Knee on June 23rd, 2011 after two other surgeries that failed to relieve my pain. I had 3 months to get back to work without being Terminated. When asking the Doctor what the time frame for complete recovery was, he confidently assured me "You'll be back in plenty of time".

After the surgery, I too was in severe pain and had very little ROM(Range of motion). Therapy was very painful. After about 10 weeks, I knew that I was in fact, NOT going to be able to return to my job in time. At this point, the Doctor says "Everyone is different and recovery time can vary."

So, knowing I wouldn't be returning to work in time and would be terminated(I will get hired back, but lost seniority and other benefits), The Dr. recommended that I go ahead and have my Left Knee done as well.

Over the years, I've had multiple surgeries on my left knee as well. Including: Microfracture and cleaning up damaged cartilage. I figured as long as I'm going to be off work for a while, I should take his professional advice and have the Arthrosurfacing done on this knee too. I'll be off work longer, but, at least both knees will be fixed.

I had the Arthrosurfacing done on my left knee on September 29th, 2011. Today I'm almost completely incapacitated. Not only do I have severe pain my left knee(about 4 weeks since surgery), I still have considerable pain and buckling in my right knee(about 4 months since surgery). Therapy is very painful on both knees and my Quads & Hamstrings are nearing nonexistent. I'm currently looking for help on getting a better workout regimen to strengthen my muscles. I've been told that most of my pain and buckling is due to the deterioration of the muscles needed to support the knees.

Summing up, if I knew how this was going to end up, I probably would not have had this done. I'm 48 years old and was very athletic up until having these surgeries. I've always had bad knees but just played through the pain. Now, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to get back to Softball, Bowling etc..

Link to X-Ray photo's below.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-q8711i9-JSg/TqhUxo2S3AI/AAAAAAAACBA/t_5Rz3Xwae8/s1152/Knee%2BXRays.jpg
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:02:29 PM by Iceman7 »

Offline Peg Leg HCF

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 09:14:07 AM »
I had this done February 2011 and at 8 months out I still have considerable pain and buckling in my left knee. I did everything i was supposed to do and still have bad pain and  buckling, popping, grinding. My doctor now wants me to have a nerve test after i had a bone scan that showed nothing, I am losing faith in this doctor. Know my knee is worse then it was before and i can't stand this anymore. Does anyone else's knee cap move to much now? Mine has at least a half inch movement now.
Knee Arthroscopy 6-24-2006
LR Left knee 11-19-2009
Partial Knee Replacement Patello-Femoral 2-16-2011

Offline Adobec

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 04:42:07 AM »
I don't know much about arthrosurface, but had microfracture done on my femoral trochlea 9 months ago.  The lesion was "large".  I had a TTT on the same leg one month ago and the micro area had healed "better than a teenager". I am 38.  So, I would probably try micro first.  It was tough to comply with the rehab protocol (you can't do much!!) but for me it was worth it.  The procedure itself didn't hurt.  I had 2/3 of my medial meniscus removed at the same time, walked on it the same day and never had to even take ibuprofen. 
1991 - R ACL patellar tendon, med. meniscus removed (50%)
2002 - R ACL revision, cadaver, lat. meniscus removed (50%)
2011 - L ACL patellar tendon, med. and lat. meniscus REPAIR. 
3/2012 - L Medial meniscectomy (didn't heal from 2011), microfracture
11/6/12  - L TTT (maquet). Micro fully healed

support