Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: SHARP JOLTING PAIN AT BASE OF HAMSTRING POST ACL RECONSTRUCTION  (Read 996 times)

Offline wildthing46

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi

Had my ACL reconstructed using a graft from my hamstring 6 wks ago this coming ~Tuesday.  I was running the vacuum over 2/3 wks post op and it eat the carpet and made such a noise it made me jump up taking the weight of the vac, frightenened me to death.  I felt a sharp shooting really painful pain at the base of my hamstring.  Iced it immediately and within a few days it was ok.  No problems.

I have been static cycling for 4 wks now, cross trainer for 2 wks, walking getting better, step ups going good, squats & lunges.  Still working on FROM.  Then yesterday in the gym again bent down to pick up my kitbag and came up too quickly again and that sharp shooting pain happened again and it feels painful around the base of the hamstring again, right at the bottom.  It felt like a sharp popping clicky painful thing, it happened so quick can't really remember......now when walking or getting up it is tender at base of hamstring and painful....can't stretch ham out.

Is this because the ham is weak from where they took the graft,or could I have damaged the graft itself?  What would be the signs or how would I know if I damaged the graft?

Any help would be appreciated....thanks. ???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 04:35:47 PM by wildthing46 »
Skiing accident 3rd Jan 2009
MRI confirmed MCL tear, ACL ruptured, bone damage and old cartilage problems

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: SHARP JOLTING PAIN AT BASE OF HAMSTRING POST ACL RECONSTRUCTION
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
Wildthing: I don't have any advice/info for you. Just wanted to say that it's nice to hear from you.  Glad that the op went well and that you're progressing well. It doesn't sound to me like you hurt your graft. You'd feel it in a different place than you're describing. It sounds a lot like what happened to my partner when he pulled his hamstring muscle a few years ago. I'd try gentle stretching and massaging it and going easy with exercises that involve the hamstring until it feels a bit better.  Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline wildthing46

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
Thanks Molly nice to hear from you too......if I remember right you have gone through the same injury from skiing...and u had an op too?

How's urs going ok I hope?

I haven't been on here for a while been trying to sort out other issues on top of this.....Lost my job, house, car.....now living in a rented house and I still have my scooter which I will be able to ride soon I hope.  And as soon as this is better I can start job searching properly....not a good idea at the moment rehab is most important, got used to dealing with having no money....my health is more important!

It is so important that I don't have anymore setbacks need to get back on track somehow.....but the confidence is coming back....made loads of friends in the gym I go to....

So the only way is up and you have made me feel better cos I got quite worried last night and today....cheers girl keep on going!!!

Skiing accident 3rd Jan 2009
MRI confirmed MCL tear, ACL ruptured, bone damage and old cartilage problems

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:02:56 PM »
Wildthing: Yes, I had my ski accident just a few weeks after yours and was making the reconstruction decision right around the same time you were. Had my ACLr in late May.

I'm sorry to hear about the job, house, car. Must be very difficult! But glad that you're able to devote yourself to your recovery and finding some satisfaction in it. I have to admit that I've really enjoyed my time at the gym as well. I've never been very consistent about going to the gym, but have enjoyed going to the gym everyday, working hard, seeing progress.

Are you still seeing a physical therapist? If so, good to ask them about the hamstring. Probably, you pulled it a bit and they can give you some stretches to do. I've had several muscle strains since my surgery--hip flexor and am currently dealing with IT band problems. You want to catch them a bit early so they don't become chronic and get in the way of your continued rehab for your knee.

Hope the hammy feels better soon! Molly
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

support