Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Tuberosity Transfer  (Read 4307 times)

Offline maz24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibial Tuberosity Transfer
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:01:00 PM »
Hi all,  i am new here and was just woundering if anyone has had a Tibial Tuberosity Transfer?  I am booked to have my right knee done in October, i think it's the Elmslie Trillat procedure, i wanted to know about the recovery and the success rate.   If anyone could help that would be great.    Thank you.
May 09 - RK Arthro
Jan 10  - RK TTT
May 10 - Booked for LK Arthro & then TTT
31st Dec 10 - Date of TTT (happy new year)

Offline friendsfan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile!
Re: Tibial Tuberosity Transfer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 01:08:53 PM »
Hi, I had a TTT on my Left knee in June '08'...and it has been a long recovery, but im just about there now..but there was a lot of problems with the knee before so that's why it took so long. I had problems with scar tissue.
However in saying that im having my Right knee done in 4 weeks time 26th Aug, and im anticipating the recovery to be easier this time as my knee is still in a fairly good condition before the surgery.

But Im glad I had it done, its been successful.

Best of luck   
5-3-07 injured knee-no ROM
2-5-07 LK scope + MUA
26-6-08-LK TTT and scope
10-12-08-LK MUA
12-6-09-RK scope
26-8-09 RK TTT

Offline leslieannelevine

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »
hi maz,

i just had a TTT done a few days ago.  i'm recording my progress in the post-op diaries section of this site.  i had a Maquet procedure done instead of an Elmslie Trillat, but it still falls under the category of "TTT."

from talking to my doctor, he told me that i have an 80% success rate with the Maquet.  i had 3 other surgeries over the past 2 years before having this one (lateral release, soft tissue realignment/medial reefing, and another arthroscopy just to clean things out).  i think with most TTTs (Maquet, Fulkerson, Elmslie Trillat, etc), most people find at least SOME relief.  :)  it's a long road, but many people have had TTTs that have changed their lives for the better.

as for recovery time, my doctor said i'd be out of commission for a while, but the CPM machine helps a lot.  from talking to several people through this site and reading through post-op diaries, it seems like every OS has a different opinion on the recovery.  as for me, i have my surgical site covered in 3 large, ace-like bandages.  if i'm up and moving around, i have to use an immobilizer with my crutches.  some people are NWB for weeks, while others start right away.

also, if you are able to, talk to the anesthesiologist about doing a femoral nerve block when he/she calls before your surgery - it really helps for the first couple of days.  mine is wearing off, so i am accordingly increasing my dosage of painkillers, but the nerve block REALLY helped for those first couple of days.

hope this all made sense!  i'm pretty drugged up on vicodin at the moment :)

good luck!
leslie

Offline doublemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Andi's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:57:56 PM »
I haven't had one (yet), but I'm probably headed toward one sometime soon with the way my patella is lined up.  Check out the patellofemoral forum here at KG, it's where most TTT people hang out and where you'll get the best advice :)

Andi
2000 R patella dislocation
2004 - Soccer injury - LK medial and lateral meniscectomies
2007 - Dx patellar tilt, lateral subluxation, grade III chondromalacia
5/13/08 - RK medial/lateral meniscectomies & patellar chondroplasty
4/6/2010 - RK TTT/LR scheduled

Offline maz24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's.     Just been told they have put my op back from October to January  >:( , the Welsh assembly have changed the waiting list guide lines and since I am functioning (with the help of a heck of a lot of pain med) I can wait. 
May 09 - RK Arthro
Jan 10  - RK TTT

Offline ipswich1984

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:06:16 PM »
Hi

I had a TTT on my right knee in March, it has gone really well,  It was the best decision I have ever made, I had a lateral release which didnt work so I was told it was this or then I would have to have the groove deepened. I am not having any of the problems that I was having prior to the surgery.

One thing I would say is make sure you have adaquate pain relief as I was sent home with just paracetamol and codeine the evening of my surgery, after the morphine wore off I was in quite a lot of pain and had to call the doctor out for different pain relief and ended up having a week of anti blood clot injections because I couldnt move my leg at all.

All in all though it was worthwhile as it seems to have done the trick, so much so that I am due to have the same op on my left leg next year.
November 2005 - Arthroscopy RK.
December 2006 - LR RK.
Febuary 2008 -
RK Subluxation. Back to physio.
October 2008 -
Put on waiting list for TTT/LR.
Told I have Hypermobile joints.
March 2009 -
TTT/LR RK.
11th Jan -
OS agreed removal of screws
5th Feb 2010 -
TTT/LR scheduled for LK

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 25
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:44:41 AM »
I'm having a TTT in 2 weeks. It's going to be a distalization (sp?), as in moving my tibial tubercle down to correct patella alta. I'm also having corrective osteotomies for my femur and tibia (derotation osteotomy of femur and tibia) to correct twisted bones. All three osteotomies have the same healing time -- 6 weeks is when bone is supposed to be healed enough to begin weight bearing. As far as what to expect, it depends on the doctor. I won't be in an immobilizer nor will I have a CPM machine. I'll be bending and moving my leg actively. I will be non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and then can begin weight bearing as long as xray shows sufficient healing.

There's a good section on this site that describes the different types of TTT, found here:
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEnotes/node/1809
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 03:46:56 AM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline maz24

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 02:05:40 PM »
Thanks after reading that i think i maybe having the Falkerson not Elmslie-Trillat after all.    I have today been given a date for the pre-op so hopefully i should be having the op in the middle of Jan, i know it sounds mad but i can't wait to just have it done and be over with now.    I have to say Crankerchick that sounds lilke a hell of a big op,  hope you are recovering well.
May 09 - RK Arthro
Jan 10  - RK TTT

Offline [email protected]

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 01:34:49 AM »
Hi, I had a fulkeson osteotomy on november 16, 2009 after having a failed lateral release done back in march.  Ask your anesthesiologist for a never block in the leg, it will definately help with the pain post op.  I was a same day surgery patient and was expecting a lot of pain after surgery and was surprised that it wasn't that bad. 

I iced my leg constantly for the first 4 days (i have a cryo machine) and that helped with the swelling and pain.  If they don't put a drain in expect bleeding after the surgery.  I was placed in an immobilizer after surgery that i could take off as long as i wasn't walking.  I will be on crutches for about 6 weeks, depending on how the bone heals.  I get my staples out December 1st ( yeaaaaaa).

I was told I would be out of work for 5 months and will be doing a lot of physical therapy.  My dr also has me bending the knee as far as I can without any pain (no cpm machine).  can get it to about 30 degrees right now in the morning at night forget it cant bend it at all. 

My leg started hurting me more this week than the week of surgery, have a burning sensation under knee cap, and the nerves are starting to come back as well.  Just make sure u listen to your doctor and do as you are instructed, I''ve basically been in bed for the last 2 weeks.

Good Luck
Articular cartilage repair of the patella - 2008
Medial Meniscus tear, Lateral release - 2009

Offline Sazzysazzle

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
Has anyone had ttt? I had the op 2 years ago 5th May 2016 I am still in pain where the transfer is its really tender n painful it also feels like it's burning on the inside is this normal? I have had 8 ops on my right knee