Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do they set ROM goals after TKR?  (Read 4566 times)

Offline kemerovokatie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
How do they set ROM goals after TKR?
« on: June 25, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »
Hi All,

I'm at 5 weeks TKR and have been going to PT for 4 weeks.   Today I was measured and my ROM is 123.   My OS told me to expect between 120 and 125 as that is what they had me at "on the table".    Anyone know how they determine what your max should be?   I'm only 47 and although I can now do pretty much anything I want, my thoughts are that I should have a better ROM.   Will it come in time?   Friday is my last day at PT as the center I'm going to is closing down.   I'm not sure I want to seek out and get to know a new PT.   Mine was so wonderful that I don't think anyone else can live up to what he has helped me achieve in so little time.

Christina

Offline Penny W

• Regular Poster
  • Be weird whenever you have the chance
Re: How do they set ROM goals after TKR?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 01:35:21 AM »
Hi Christina

My OS said anything over 100 was icing on the cake because if you have that you can walk and do stairs.I know others on here who have more then that but I don't know why that is.I am at 125 and thats ok with me.

I hope you continue to do well and if you can get in a hot tub and do your stretches that seemed to help my ROM also.
  Penny :)
June 2003 L knee scope with the holes for tissue regeneration
Sept 2003 R knee scope
March 2005 L foot cyst removed
June 2006 Broke L ankle 2 plates 18 screws
Feb 2007 L ankle scar tissue removal
Nov 2007 Plate broke in ankle removed and replaced with bone putty
Dec 2008 R knee TKR w/lat rel.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 01:20:39 PM »
Hey Christina!  Your knee moves easily through it's full ROM on the table.  It's amazing that right after surgery, it'll barely move at all, but in the OR while you're out, it moves without resistance.  If it would not move past 125 on the table, then it won't move past that after surgery.  With that said, my surgeon told me 130-135.  This wasn't because he couldn't get it past that on the table.... I doubt that he tried to get it to maximum flexion on the table, but he just moved it through a typical ROM without moving it to it's limit.  I have 150.  So I'd not worry too much about the numbers he gave you, but just know that 120-125 is what he expects.  If you don't get beyond that, you'll do fine.  If you get more, then it's gravy.

:)

~dig

Offline MRW

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 03:33:29 PM »
Hi Christina,

At 6 weeks post op I had 120 and my PT told me that will be the max I will get because my OS only got 120 on the table after sugery, NOT what I wanted to hear. So I am now at 8 weeks post op and I have got to 130, so don't worry too much, if you can get 125 after only 5 weeks you are doing pretty well. My next goal is 140 after 4 more weeks, then who knows? just keep trying for more...............

Good luck,
Martin

Offline kemerovokatie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »
Thanks!   It's great to hear that it may be possible to do more than they say.    I'm can sit criss cross somewhat but that and sitting on my leg are things I miss the most.   I think another 10 degrees would make me very happy.    I'm going to work toward it anyway.   What the harm right?

Offline Mike1968

• Forum Faithful
  • Just hoping for some relief!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:08:29 PM »
Thanks!   It's great to hear that it may be possible to do more than they say.    I'm can sit criss cross somewhat but that and sitting on my leg are things I miss the most.   I think another 10 degrees would make me very happy.    I'm going to work toward it anyway.   What the harm right?

Christina,

EXCELLENT QUESTION....one I was wondering myself.  Thanks to everyone who responded...I will be sure to ask the OS what he got while I was out just to be sure!

Keep up the great work!  I have mine in 5 days and am nervous/scared a bit...I am sure that I will be mortified come Monday Afternoon!
83-Osgood Schlatters in both knees
90-left knee ACL repair
03-left knee ACL revision (hamstring graft)
04-left knee ACL revision (cadaver graft)
06-left knee arthroscopy
06-left knee ACI and High Tibial Osteotomy
30 June 2009 - Left Knee Total Knee Replacement

Offline kemerovokatie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 06:07:11 PM »
Mike, I too was scared out of my mind the week before.  But somehow the day before I was finally at peace with it all.   I was very calm and even had the best night sleep I had in weeks.   I thin the anticipation is the hardest part.   Once the day is finally here it is much better.

Christina

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 01:44:22 PM »
Your final ROM is also impacted by two other things. First is your ROM before the surgery. The second is the type of prosthesis used. A lot of the prostheses are made to go to 120, so that's the maximum you could expect. My OS told me he uses 110 as the benchmark for success because you need 110 to get up normally from a chair (and less than that for things like stairs). I was hoping to get to 115 (only had 123 before the TKR because of previous injury and surgeries), but only got to 110. I don't feel like I'm missing out, although there are some times I would like to bend more. But I'll take 110 without pain over 120 with tons of pain any day!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline kemerovokatie

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 02:26:55 PM »
That is very interesting Janet.    My OS told me that 120 is the minimum needed for getting up from a chair or toilet.    Guess they all have their opinions.   I'm happy with my 123 with minimal pain but if I can stretch for more I say why not!

support