Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: PCL/ACL/LCL Revision surgery- 2 weeks out  (Read 1414 times)

Offline goblueknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
PCL/ACL/LCL Revision surgery- 2 weeks out
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »
Hello everyone, I am two weeks out from a PCL/ACL/LCL revision surgery using all allografts. The first surgery was in 2002 and the ligaments all became "stretched" during the 7 years between then and now. I believe they stretched out due to my own actions such as not taking precautions serious, losing interest in rehab at about 6 months, and just an overall loss of motivation. Not this time!,  I am taking this surgery very seriously and have dropped every single thing in my life in the hopes of getting active again. 7 years ago I was very active, I loved to run, climb, and jump, but I have not been able to do any of these things for many years now. I had the surgery done at Beumont in Royal Oak, MI by Dr. Jurist and am feeling confident with the work done so far. Pain and swelling are at a minimum and I like my Doctor's attitude and approach to this procedure. His confidence reminds me of a jet fighter, which in turn keeps me positive and motivated.  I am not starting physical therapy until week 6, after my first surgery in 2002 I was in rehab within the first week. We are approaching this one with a different strategy as the last ligaments became stretched, we are going make sure the healing process is started properly and the ligaments remain "tight" until we get into rehab. I'm sure once we start bending in the 6th week I am going to have hell to pay as far as pain goes. Right now just sticking to straight leg raises, ankle pumps, and keeping my leg in the 0 degree immobilizer 95% of the day. Any tips or ideas out there are very welcome, also if anybody is going through this and is in about the same time frame and would like a pen pal, let me know, it would be nice to know that someone else out there is going through the same kind of things. At this point (two weeks out), I am extremely motivated, ready to get back to work in two more days, and trying to stay as positive as possible. Thanks for reading, best regards! Adam
PCL/LCL Allografts June 2002
PCL/ACL/LCL Revision Allografts June 4th 2009

Offline jess8181

• Regular Poster
Re: PCL/ACL/LCL Revision surgery- 2 weeks out
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 09:06:32 PM »
Hi Adam and welcome to the board! sorry that you have to be here but you will find alot of advice and support here.

a few questions first........what was your first injury? (sports related?)

his second surgery, were the ligaments replaced again or just tightened? you mentioned that you haven't been able to be active in many years.......was this do to the ligaments being too strecthed out causing instability or loss of motion or both?

I've had my acl lcl pcl replaced and some postlateral corner repair as well. I'm seven months out and having major problems regaining motion due to scar tissue buildup so I'm looking to have a second surgery to remove i and regain some motion. I don't have a great OS since mine was a car accident and I really didn't have a choice at the time so I'm glad to hear your confident in your new OS.

anyhow let us know your progress and just stay motivated but it seems as though your on the right track!

Offline goblueknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:30:12 PM »
Hi, thanks for your response, the loss of activity after first surgery between 2002-2009 was due to the ligaments becoming so stretched that I lost all confidence in my knee. I felt instability every day, felt small amounts of pain every day, and just couldn't bring myself to trying anything as far as running, jumping, cutting, etc because I knew if I did I would hurt my knee. The loss of activity turned into a loss a motivation which turned into a weak knee. Basically went from an all state athlete to a couch potato. So to answer your question, it was definitely stretching which led to loss of stability. About motion though, it took about one year to get full motion, but about 2 years until I was able to sit "indian" style and do butterfly stretches. I was still able to do many things during those years including short hikes, medium sized walks, kayaking, and I even went skydiving (telling my instructor to make sure it was a soft "butt landing"). First surgery didn't have too much scar tissue, when I did they used an ultrasound machine. To answer your other question, on the revision it was all new ligaments (allografts). Good luck, keep in touch with progress.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 12:16:42 AM »
HI Adam: Welcome! I'm a week ahead of you (ACLr on 5/27 using allograft). My OS is super conservative, so my protocol is only a bit more active than yours.  I'm suppose to be completely non-weight bearing until 4 weeks and then partial weight bearing until 6 weeks. However, I am allowed to ride the bike (which I do 3 days on/1 day off, starting at week 2) and do some additional work with weight bearing in the context of physical therapy appts (1 day a week).  We have the range of approaches represented here on the board...from folks who were weight bearing almost immediately, to others who were partial weight bearing for several weeks, to me who is non-weight bearing for a month, to you.  Will be interesting to see the different trajectories of rehab we all take.  My PT (who isn't a big fan of the non-weight bearing approach) says that the outcomes are pretty much the same of these different approaches at 6 months.  There are just some things that are slowed down when you/we are not up and moving earlier on.

In any case, good luck to you. I hope that things go much better for you this time around. Molly
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 02:37:32 AM by mollyc »
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly

Offline goblueknee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 02:22:45 AM »
Did a good amount of straight leg raises and ankle pumps today, having a good amount of pain in the back of the knee probably about 6 out of 10 on the pain scale. Anyone else experience this, is this normal? Doesn't feel like anything popped or anything, didn't work it too hard, thinking maybe it's just part of the healing process...

Offline tee1972

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:32:55 AM »
Hey Adam,

Tee here , I had a LR, MPLF reconstruction with allograft and condroplasty on May 6th. The pain in the back of your knee is actually from your knee being straight all the time and the swelling inside . If you put the ice back there also the pain will go away a little faster. I aso had a friend of mine rub the back of my knee gently and that felt sooooooooooooo good and also helps get rid of the pain or make it better. Hope everything continues to go well for you .

talk soon

Tee
1997 LR
2008 FX Patella
2008 Therapy 5 wks
2008 Knee popped out
2008 Knee popped out
2009 LR MPFL

vinnic

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
Hi Adam, welcome to the boards.  So sorry to hear about your original grafts stretching.  Do you know how or why this happened by chance?  I'm wondering if it was due to a particular activity, hyperextension, or something else?  Well, it's good that you were able to get it all revised.  And, it sounds like you are confident in your surgeon and his approach as well.  Hope it goes very well for you this time around and you're able to return to the activities you enjoy.  I'm in the Detroit area too, but had my acl recon and meniscus trim done by another OS.  Love your username!  Good luck and looking forward to reading about your progress.

Offline mollyc

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 04:52:10 PM »
Go Blue is University of Michigan, right? My dad, aunt and both of my grandparents went to University of Michigan.  (My grandparents met there in the 20s!)  I used to spend summers at Lake Michigan with my grandparents when I was little...and almost moved to East Lansing when I got a job offer at Michigan State. Unfortunately (or fortunately), it was hard to resist the weather in California, so I ended up in the San Francisco area instead.
Ski accident 2/14/09
Ruptured ACL, MCL sprain, bone bruise
ACLr allograft 5/27/09
Knee now 100% fine...skiing and playing tennis regularly