Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How soon did you go back to work post-surgery for meniscal tear removal?  (Read 4294 times)

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi Everyone,
I am wondering what the average time that most people need to take off from work post "Meniscal tear removal surgery"?  I have heard that some people are back to work in a few days and some a week or more.  I am trying to plan out with my employer on how long I will need to take off  (I have a desk job, by the way).

Most of the stuff I've read says to stay in bed for 3-5 days with the leg elevated and iced.  Does this sound correct?  If so, that would mean one week out of work for sure, right?  Was anyone able to be up and about sooner than this?

Thanks much for any advice !

torn meniscus

Offline beccaben

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi, I am 2 weeks post Cartilege tear repair and arthritis descaling / washout (left) and I was on my feet and doing PT excersises within 1 hour of returning from the theatre. I took it real easy for the first 2-3 days, doing my PT and icing and apart from that just pottering round the house (I have Children and animals to feed so being completely off my feet was not an option).
I was driving on the Monday following (I have an automatic so do not need my left leg)By the Wednesday after my op I felt good enough to do some weeding on my allotment. I did have a slight blip one week post op when I slipped on some wet grass and was in pain but that eased off over about 3-4 days.
I am returning to work on Monday (2 weeks post op) and I am a domestic cleaner - lots of kneeling and crouching.
If I had a desk job I would have been back to work last Monday - although with a stool for my leg as I do find sitting with the knee bent causes soreness after a few minutes.

Everyone is different though and I guess it depends on the size of your tear - mine was small.

Hope that helps.

Carol

Offline caliKnee

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Hi Carol,

Thanks very much for your story on your recovery. That sounds like it went very well. 

Oh, gosh, I totally forgot about driving... it is my right knee! :)  I guess it might be a few days longer for me to get back in the car after this.  Well, all in all, I hope a week is sufficient for time off.

Thanks again!
torn meniscus

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
I had it done last year on a thursday and was back in work on the following tuesday. I was very stiff but not too much pain at all. I have a desk job too, the sitting would cause it to stiffen so I needed to get up for a little stroll frequently for the first few weeks.

I did plenty of icing and elevating the first 5 days, but really its wasnt a bad surgery and hopefully yours will go as well.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline beth1954

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
I had that done many years ago, and I think I was off at least a week.  One of the other ladies in my office was back after just a few days.  Maybe they have made the surgery even less invasive than 15 years ago!
The older I get the better I was.

support