Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: TKR & Kneeling: Will I ever be able to again?  (Read 1466 times)

Offline sassygrams

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
TKR & Kneeling: Will I ever be able to again?
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:59:15 PM »
I had my TKR last September 15th and am wondering if I will ever be able to kneel again?  I will be having my other knee done this fall.  I have a devil of a time getting out of the bathtub without putting any pressure on it.  Will I damage anything if I do?  Any info or helpful tips would be much appreciated!  :D

Offline Jules

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter what keep smiling!!!
Re: TKR & Kneeling: Will I ever be able to again?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »
Hi, I had ACI on my right knee in 2004 and then a right TKR and a left PFJR in 2006, each of the operations had a central line incision therefore causing nerve damage. I have never been able to kneel again due to the uncomfortable pain in the knee, even though they are particially numb. I suppose everyone is different, but I was always told by my OS that I should never kneel again any way.
I will be having my PFJR removed and a TKR in my left knee at the end of July also. But I would avoid kneeling until you have discussed it wil your OS, but for me its too painful and that has never changed in 3 years. Sorry.

Best wishes
Jules
xx
Apr 01 - bi-lat debride
Dec 01 - bi-lat mircrofracture & LR
Nov 02 - bi-lat debride & LR
Oct 04 - bi-lat A'scopy & harvest
Nov 04 - R ACI
June 05 - R A'scopy/shave
May 06 - R TKR
Aug 06 - L  PFJR
Jan 07 - L open LR
Oct 08 - L open LR
Feb 09 - L A'scopy/shave
July 09 - L TKR......
20 ops in 13 years

Offline ChrisC

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 05:13:32 PM »
I have just been able to kneel on a hard surface recently, nearly two years on from my first TKR, and only momentarily at that. Getting some of your weight onto your hands as quickly as possible helps. I am going to try having a bath using one  of those firm foam kneeling pads you get from gardening shops. You won't damage anything, I checked this with my OS.

Here's a tip for de-sensitising your scars after TKR. Tap your knees and just below, on and around your scars, in time with the music if you are listening to any. Make it hard enough to be slightly uncomfortable but not hard enough to hurt. Only do this for a minute or two at a time, but several times a day. When I am driving and get to a red light, I tense my quads for a count of 10 (separately) then start tapping my scars until the lights change to green. It seems to have worked over a period of time.
Best wishes,
Chris

First knee physiotherapy 1981 with intermittent pain following.
Arthroscopy for complex meniscus tear March 2006.
Right TKR 7th July 2007, left TKR 27th September 2007.
Mar 08: R 115 degrees, L 123 degrees.
July 08: R 118 degrees, L 125 degrees.
Aug 08: R 122 degrees, L 125 degrees.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 02:31:11 AM »
Before my TKR, my OS told me I wouldn't be able to kneel again. He was right. I learned to get up from the floor without putting that knee on the ground...effective, but not pretty!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline EOD1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »
I had both knees done 10 months ago.  I can kneel on a soft surface with just some minor discomfort.

Now my Dad, who is 83, had both of his done 15 years ago.  He is amazing and does absolutely everything.  He knees, still goes up and down the ladder to clean his gutters on his hands and knees (refuses to let anyone else do it).  I guess that everyone is different.

Offline sassygrams

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 01:40:02 AM »
I really appreciate everyone's input so far, it sounds like a mixed bag to me!  EOD, I am curious if you did anything to enable you to do this?  Did you just try one day and you were able to?  I know I totally forgot about my TKR one day and went to get into bed by getting on my knees first and it hurt but I'm thinking that maybe part of it was the shock of it and my jerk reaction to get off of it so quickly.  Maybe some of it is psychological?  At any rate, thank you all so much and I look forward to getting as much information about this that is out there in "knee geek land" ....  :o !

Offline EOD1

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 01:49:37 AM »
I really appreciate everyone's input so far, it sounds like a mixed bag to me!  EOD, I am curious if you did anything to enable you to do this?  Did you just try one day and you were able to?  I know I totally forgot about my TKR one day and went to get into bed by getting on my knees first and it hurt but I'm thinking that maybe part of it was the shock of it and my jerk reaction to get off of it so quickly.  Maybe some of it is psychological?  At any rate, thank you all so much and I look forward to getting as much information about this that is out there in "knee geek land" ....  :o !

Actually, my PT told me me to try kneeling in my bed and lean backwards to help with the range of motion.  I can now do it on a carpeted floor.  It still feels weird when i do it. But very little pain.