Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fractured Patella recovery time  (Read 332891 times)

Offline Sampson19511

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Fractured Patella recovery time
« Reply #600 on: August 17, 2017, 10:07:34 PM »
You won't be able to do the stairs, that is bad!  You need to tell your surgeon this fact.  You may have to sit down on the steps and hold your brace/cast out straight in front of you. 

As far as the post regarding lots of pain, I really did not have much pain at home, just uncomfortable mostly at night and after workouts.   I still have left over medication which I rarely use at night.  You know pain meds are all very addictive, all of them, especially if you have addiction tendencies.  I know I liked the euphoric feeling they gave me when I was tired, but I forced myself to lay down and sleep instead of staying away and doing something.  You need your sleep to recover.  You also need to eat really healthy food, lots of protein and veggies.  I do not skip your workouts.  S ::)

Offline Sampson19511

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #601 on: August 17, 2017, 10:18:38 PM »
To Biker Bridge:  Tell the people at your work my surgeon said this was the worst bone to break in the entire body, with up to a one year recovery, even for someone who is used to being in shape.  The problem is not the break itself it is the tendon and muscle atrophy you get being in a brace for 6-8 weeks.  Also the patella is a bone that is embedded in a tendon and the tendons make the patella track correctly so you can walk without falling in any direction.  All of this takes a lot of time to recover.  You can't miss your workouts.  I am just over 4 months post op and just starting to learn to do stairs correctly with some pain.  I still can't hike a steep mountain only very small slope in the road.  I am starting to mow my 1/2 plus acre again with a self propelled mower, but I pay for it for two days afterward!  Got tired of letting people help me.  It is not just the tendons and muscles in the front of the leg either, you have to do the sides also.  As mentioned there are many exercises on line written to progress by the week.  There are also exercises you can print out for post surgical knees and ruptured tendon repairs, or for people with just plain of bad knees?  It takes a lot of patience, healthy eating, extra protein, and working out to recover.  Wish you the best. 

Offline BikerBridge

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #602 on: August 18, 2017, 03:36:12 PM »
Sampson: Thank you for the very informative response.  I would say the hardest part of all this for me is not wanting to stay laying around all day.  Oh and the pain that somehow creeps up at night.  I know I am on a long road to recovery and I need to be patient.  There are not a lot of exercises for me to do the first week but going forward it looks like I will have plenty to do.  I wish there was a group like a book club for people in the same situation as me.  It sure does get lonely and I am not a TV watcher.  Encouraging words would really go a long way.  I go in Tuesday to see my progress so far.  I am hoping I get that brace everyone talks about that starts bending your knee.  One thing I notice no one talks about is constipation.  I know the Oxycontin causes this but if you take something like ducolax  be very careful.  You will go and having a stool near by to put your leg up while you are going for a long while really helps.  Currently I am working on trying to have a schedule of things to do every day to keep from becoming bored and depressed.  If anyone has things they do to keep the doldrums away I would love to hear your ideas.
:)B

Offline Sampson19511

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #603 on: August 18, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
Hi BikerBridge.  Luckily I do not use much of the pain pills, but I am always constipated anyway!  TMI!  You do get board.  I was all alone and had to prepare meals while on crutches.  One thing that help me get around was a walker but that was after I was allowed to bear weight.  I used a "tea cart" to put my meals on or stuff from the pantry to cook, and with my crutches I pushed it carefully through the house to the dinning table or living room.  It was a pain but it worked.  Anything with wheels would work.  I know most people don't have tea carts sitting around.  Doctor I could probably ski in Colorado this winter but I am definitely have "tracking patella problems", and feel like crap today.  I am going to call them.  Perhaps I am overdoing it.  If you don't watch TV it is hard not to get board.  You can rent movies directly on TV or Walmart Red Box. Hope you have people helping you get out and get around.  I used the electric carts to get groceries but since I could not drive for two months I had to rely on neighbors.  I broke my right patella.  You can't drive even if you break your left patella because the brace has to be completely straight.  I do have good range of motion in both directions, most days I can touch my butt with the back of my heels.  Today I can't!  I am going to workout  at home instead of the gym and then just ride the bike at the gym, I think the leg machines are too much for me right now at the gym, better off with the exercises I printed out myself for "bad knees, or post surgical knees".  Really sucks to be incapacitated but I know there are people worse off than us.  Again, I wish you much success.  Keep in touch with your surgeon.  S

Offline GUY_IL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #604 on: August 22, 2017, 05:01:26 PM »
Ok, some updates,

After seeing the trauma orthopedic surgeon, he asked to do another xray and decided that he thinks that my fracture  can be healed without any surgery, just to keep my leg in a cast for another 2 weeks (HELL!) and then changing it to knee immobilzer  :'(

any things that I need to know about non-operative treatment?

Offline Sampson19511

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #605 on: August 22, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
No surgery, you are sooooooooooooooooo lucky.  Many people do not need surgery.  Mine was separated by over 1/2 inch and I needed screws with tension wires and I believe some of my pain is now coming from the hardware.  I do not want more surgery to remove hardware but I am afraid it is coming to this.  As mentioned no surgery is sooo good.  Surgery and 6-8 weeks in a long leg heavy brace is the worst thing ever.  It takes a year to build your muscles and tendons back up after you come out of the brace and it is very very hard.  Today (4 months plus post op) I am in pain again.  So count your blessings!  S

Offline GUY_IL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #606 on: August 23, 2017, 04:16:49 PM »
No surgery, you are sooooooooooooooooo lucky.  Many people do not need surgery.  Mine was separated by over 1/2 inch and I needed screws with tension wires and I believe some of my pain is now coming from the hardware.  I do not want more surgery to remove hardware but I am afraid it is coming to this.  As mentioned no surgery is sooo good.  Surgery and 6-8 weeks in a long leg heavy brace is the worst thing ever.  It takes a year to build your muscles and tendons back up after you come out of the brace and it is very very hard.  Today (4 months plus post op) I am in pain again.  So count your blessings!  S
Yeah, actually I'm waiting for second opinion to make sure no surgery is needed in my case, and in the meantime trying to understand what waiting for me, as the healing process is more or less the same - I'm going to be with this heavy cast for at least 2 more weeks and then to switch to knee immobilizer.

I still trying to understand whether I need to move from my apartment because all of the stairs.

I do understand that the surgery must cause even more pain, even though I can confirm that it is painful and soo not comortable even without a surgery...

The PhD that decided not to operate / postpone it said that It still going to take at least 1.5 year to restore my ability to do the same things as before the accident ! thats really sh*tty though

hope you will feel better soon, and eventhough the hardware removal sounds like a bit like going backwards, i'm sure you will feel much much better.

Offline Sampson19511

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #607 on: August 24, 2017, 09:22:21 PM »
Not sure what you mean by PhD.  They are not doctors.  You need an orthopedic surgeon with M.D. after his name to answer your questions.  If you need surgery you can't wait too much longer. 

Offline GUY_IL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #608 on: August 25, 2017, 08:40:17 AM »
Not sure what you mean by PhD.  They are not doctors.  You need an orthopedic surgeon with M.D. after his name to answer your questions.  If you need surgery you can't wait too much longer.
I guess it's my bad english so I will explain again ;)

It was an orthopedic surgeon who decided that the gap is too small for a surgery I mentioned that he has a PhD and he's Deputy Head of Department of orthopaedics. the guys at the ER who were also orthopedic surgeons all said it looks like a surgery so this is where my confusion is coming from.

I know it's better to have a surgery asap if needed, but i have to wait for the second opinion for another week :( hope that i won't need it.

Offline Sampson19511

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #609 on: August 25, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
That is confusing for you.  I would call both of them.  I live in a small town and had to go to a bigger city to find a surgeon for my patella fracture, plus it was spring break and lots of doctors take off with their families at this time.  I am not sure what else to tell you.  Can you bring your x-ray disc to another surgeon, either orthopedic or sports surgeon for another opinion.  Perhaps your fracture is borderline surgery or no surgery and the doctors do not know what to do.  Either way you need to be careful in the mean time, the patella is apparently the most important bone in your body.  Myself, I am feeling better today after working out yesterday and taking a fairly long walk.  s

Offline GUY_IL

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #610 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:42 PM »
That is confusing for you.  I would call both of them.  I live in a small town and had to go to a bigger city to find a surgeon for my patella fracture, plus it was spring break and lots of doctors take off with their families at this time.  I am not sure what else to tell you.  Can you bring your x-ray disc to another surgeon, either orthopedic or sports surgeon for another opinion.  Perhaps your fracture is borderline surgery or no surgery and the doctors do not know what to do.  Either way you need to be careful in the mean time, the patella is apparently the most important bone in your body.  Myself, I am feeling better today after working out yesterday and taking a fairly long walk.  s
Yes, I'm working on getting another opinion, in the mean time today I switched from a hard cast (plaster of paris) to some lightweight alternative that works the same, just is lighter and cost $150 but it worth it if I can get some sleep with it.

I'm really glad to hear that you are doing better and making progress! keep up the good work mate :)

Cheers.

Offline mikaela.o.a

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #611 on: October 09, 2017, 04:42:48 AM »
Hello! I'm new here.

I'm 3 weeks post-op for my shattered patella  :'(. I was expecting to be in a brace for a total of 6 weeks, however a few days ago I had an appointment with my surgeon and he said that my kneecap was such a mess, i'll need to be in a brace for another 10 weeks! That makes it 13 weeks all up in the brace. 8 weeks straight, at 8 weeks 30 degrees ROM, at 10 weeks 60 degrees ROM. I'm starting to manage the pain better, however when I stand for too long my foot turns purple!

I have some questions if anyone can answer:

Any ideas on how to get better circulation?

Has anyone been in a brace for as long as I need to be? I've never heard of anyone needing a brace for more than 8 weeks for this injury.

Any tips on how to recover as quickly as possible? Tensing muscles etc? I'm self employed, and i'm having to take 4 MONTHS off work due to this injury. It's killing my bank account.

Offline eldoboardn

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #612 on: October 09, 2017, 08:15:41 PM »
Hi Mikaela,

In my case, I had to wear the straight brace for just over 7 weeks, and wasn't allowed to put any weight on my leg (crutches are a PITA!!).  After 7 weeks, I was put into the brace that locks at different degrees, and had it set at 30 degrees for two weeks, then 60 degrees for 2 weeks, then 90 for 2 weeks.  After being in the straight brace for so long, my leg didn't want to bend (I could only bend 20 degrees at first), so the 30\60\90 degrees were actually goals for me to get to rather than limits on my bending.  So in total, I was in a leg brace for 13-14 weeks. 

I don't recall my foot turning purple at all, but my foot and ankle were almost always swollen until I was able to start putting weight on my leg and bending it.  There were a few times my foot 'shed' a layer of skin from the fluctuations of swelling.  Keeping my leg elevated was the only way I could get the swelling down when I couldn't put weight on it.

My patella was smashed up pretty good as well (4 screws and 2 wires to hold it all together).  It was so bad, that my doc told me I needed to avoid tensing my quad muscle because it could pull the bone apart and keep it from healing.  I know it's tough, and you want to recover as quickly as possible, but you should check with your doc to see what is recommended in your case.  Any problems during the healing process could mean an even longer recovery, or in the worst case, another surgery. 

It's been just over 13 months since my surgery, and one thing I have learned is that you have to be patient with this injury (I am most definitely not a patient person).  It can be frustrating, but the most important thing is to get it healed correctly so that you can get back to your life.  It's tough sometimes, but you'll get there.  Just try to keep a good attitude :)

Offline Trackstar

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #613 on: November 02, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
I guess I cant stay away from not joining the club.. I injured mine about a week ago (24th oct). Got hit by a car, while biking. i got operated after 1 week. So now today is 3 days after the operation. Feeling the pain of course.

But As I've managed to read a some of these threads and feeling with all of y'all on the pain part, and being patient etc. Man, it's a freaking long ass journey ahead.. haha. I must admit I have been feeling somehow kinda bad sometimes. Because no body of course understands the significance of this injury.

I've actually been in good  shape before the injury, and was planning on starting to train for 100m and 200m sprint work outs. I was doing yoga religiously etc.

I'm kinda lucky to live in a country with free health care. so they got me on this man..
I got this brace and it is set to 30 degrees ROM and the said after 6 weeks it will be adjusted to 60 degrees ROM and after 9w,90 ROM. But which also mean I have to do some small exercises with the legt etc. actually just 2, one where i try to lift my knee from the ground to about 30 degrees. and one where I do some push&pull with the foot.

My whole body has not yet started to wear down. But lord have mercy I look good and I wanna keep it. :D Anybody know how I can atleast keep some of my core strenght? I am used to like doing 30x3 pushups every morning, monday to friday. and gymn 5x a week.

OMG and I am single, now I am trying to also figure out how I'll have sex..  I ope someone has an answer or two. :D

I wish y'all good luck

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 168
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #614 on: November 02, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
Hi Trackstar

Welcome to KneeGuru - you have done well to read some of the previous threads -

One tip I do have for you ...

Sleep with a pillow/cushion between your knees - not sexy, but takes the pain away - helps you to sleep - the magic word is PATIENCE - ask questions - where do you live?  how did you sustain your injury???
Best/ JohnKManchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon