Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: ACL surgery minor swelling/fluid build up  (Read 1281 times)

Offline jbmos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
ACL surgery minor swelling/fluid build up
« on: April 06, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
I am 30 years old.  I am 6 months past ACL replacement on my left knee.  I used cadaver tissue.  I have been very diligent with my rehab.  I am an avid weightlifter, basketball, football etc.  So getting back in top form has been a priority.  Two weeks ago my doctor cleared me to ease back into sports and under controlled conditions test out my knee.  After the  surgery and PT, once the initial swelling was gone it never occurred again.   Since I was cleared I have played some light basketball with a little running and jumping (no full court stuff), no issues no pain. Yesterday I went to a soccer field to do some sprints.  Today I am having a some light swelling/fluid build up just to the right side of my knee cap above the major incision.  During the sprints yesterday again no pain.  But today I have the swelling.  There is no apparent bruising or discoloration either.

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Now that I tested running hard in a controlled environment (that apparently my knee can't quite take it yet), I should back off/ push thru it?  Am I just being paranoid about nothing? I have resumed icing and advil last night and today.  This is the first major injury and surgery that I have ever had and I really am treading new ground and never want to go thru it again if possible.

vinnic

Re: ACL surgery minor swelling/fluid build up
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 11:59:22 PM »
Sorry to hear about some swelling and fluid buildup.  I won't be able to help you since I'm just eleven days post-op.  If noone answers your post here, try reposting in the cruciate ligament boards.  There are lots of avid sports players there who might be able to talk with you about it.  Good luck to you.

Offline jbmos

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: ACL surgery minor swelling/fluid build up
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 01:27:54 AM »
Thanks.  First time posting here so I will give it a few days.  Swelling is only noticeable when I stand up and it doesn't hurt.  Honestly I didn't have much pain post op at all.  Except for the torture that PT was in the beginning bending my knee to get flexibility.

support