Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Femoral Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Hollypop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
Hey all,

Im due to go into hospital on the 4th April to have a femoral derotational osteotomy and wondered who else on here has had one? I had a supracondylar osteotomy (basicall the same thing but surgery carrie dout a knee level) done in Feb 07 and this wasnt too bad at all just wondered how bad people found the derotational osteotomy?

Thanks in advance,

Holly
Various traction/Spica Casts/etc from 6 weeks -21 months.

Supracondylar Osteotomy (Left Side) Feb 07

Femoral Derotational Osteotomy (Right Side) due 4th April 09

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline jumpi5d

• Forum Faithful
Re: Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:08:07 PM »
Yay Cat. You got those links down good. Mine will be up soon, but don't go by it they're straightening my leg too...only 15 days eeek.
-Paige

3/5/09 Right Distal Femoral Osteotomy for Patella Alignment 
11/19/09 Left DFO for Patella Alignment.

Offline Hollypop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:39:08 PM »
I am indeed a fellow twisted sister (but hoepfully not for much longer!!)

Thinks for the links- it was very much appriciated!

Was your osteotomy really that painful Cat?

Just out of interest - anyone have any idea what their anteversion was?

Offline cat

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:37:32 PM »
So what's your story, Holly? What are you numbers and what led you to play "spin the leg"?

Here are my numbers -
Femoral anteversion:  39 degrees R, 30 degrees L (I had a TTT done on the L so I'm guessing that affected the measurements on that leg)
Tibial antetorsion: 41 degrees R, 34 L
Internal rotation of the R knee: 4degrees of R knee- knee rotation L knee: nil
External rotation of the leg: 37 degrees R, 34 degrees L

Was your osteotomy really that painful Cat?
Was I that whiny? There were times in the hospital that I don't care to relive but I was off all pain meds at one week post op.
 ;D ;D[/color][/b]

"Miserable malalignment"
 Lateral release, medial reefing, VMO advancement, and TTT-  3/2/04
Screw removal- 5/24/05
Cortisone injection to pes anserine- 7/27/05
Femoral derotation osteotomy, TTT revision- 10/18/07

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 04:49:25 AM »
Hi Holly
Welcome to the twistees. Its a fierce group thats for sure, some tough women who have been through some difficult surgeries, and some like me, just staring at the mountain wondering when we will tackle it.
Where will you have your surgery? I didn't understand what your other surgeries were? What is your underlying condition? Let us know how you are. Best wishes.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline Hollypop

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
I was born with a condition called DDH, which is Developmental Hip Dysplasia. It basically means that when I was born my hip sockets were too shallow to contain the femoral head (which resuloted in sublaxed hips) so they had to manipulate to sockets to grow and start to support the femoral heads on their own. I had various procedures which all resulted in a spica cast (cast from chest to ankles.) for about 6 months This was successful so I wasnt suppose to have any further surgery.

At 12 (Im sure this has lead me to whats happened now) i was messing about with my little brother on a wall, I had one leg resting on the wall and my darling little brother decided to kick the other from underneath me, which resulted with me laying on the floor with my leg at a 45 degree angle to me - Ouuuccchhhh!! The hospital idad I had dislocated my patella and my twisted my knee ligaments so sent me to physio (with a blind man - was pretty cool actually and easily the best physio ive ever had.) After my 4th session he carried out an ultrasound and said that i had actually torn my ligaments but now they had started healing in the wrong way so I had ended up with a lump of scar tissue which was causing my patella to sublax literally 3-4 times a day. They treated it with laser therepy but the damage had been done so to speak so I was left my a knee cap that had a mind of its own and would just go literally anywhere but i got so used to it i just used to manipulate it back myself. Great I thought to myself not only do i had sublax hips, i now also have a knee to match.

Just after my 18th birthday I was in my bedroom and stood on a hairbrush, my knee went and i fell awkwardly, my knee cap was so far out and i was in a funny position that i couldnt do it myself so my mummy (who is a nurse) decided to take me into A&E. They took one look at my legs and refered me too an Ortheopedic Surgeon (Mr Nell, Bedford Hospital) - I had my appt about 2 months later. After numerous xrays he came back and said that he had never seen a case of anteversion as severe as mine and he wanted to operate. He said the reason it had never been picked up is because my tibia and feet were completely straight, It was just my femer that was all twisted up. So it turns out I had an Internal rotation of 47 (left) and 44 (right) but my external rotation was stupidly high (cant remember for the life of me what it was) which meant all this bendy stuff i could normally do was actually quite unnatural Lol!

After going up in front of several medical councils (laying on a bed in your pants will various different people say 'Do you mind if I.....' is NOT fun!) they decided on a femoral derotational Osteotomy on my left side to start with and then the right side later on - and I was booked in for New Years Day 07 - Great huh! This was cancelled about 3 days before and rebooked for the 17th Feb, that was cool meant I had a bit more time to get my head around stuff! So i gets to the hospital at 7:30am the day before my op and im getting nervous now, im sitting in a waiting room with like 10 other people. One by One they are all called in to be admitted and by 3pm I was sat there on my own so my mum goes and asks why I havent been admitted - the women on reception says on theres definitly a bed there your just going to have to wait we are a bit short staffed today. So i think ok thats cool I can live with that, about an hour after that Mr Nells Seceratery walks past and asks why im still here - i say oh well they said that they were short staffed so they havnt got me booked in yet - she starts to look really confused now and says - We have been ringing you at home since 9am (I was told to be at the hospital for 7:30am) to tell you your opertaion was cancelled. Long and short of thsi bit was argument, tears, people, being to hot, running out of waiting room to get fresh air, knee giving way (typical!) my falling head first into a trolley and ending up on the floor in a heap with a massive lump on my head and a dislocated knee. Embarressing eh but at least it proved my point! They got my booked in for the week after so i got ready again and this time I actually did get my bed, on the morning of my op (im a nervous wreck by this point) my mum comes in and says eeerrr i have some news, they arnt doing a derotational osteotomy they are doing a supracondylar osteotomy Ive just seen your surgeon in the corridor. At this point im starting to get really upset - my last 2 months of reseraching my ops and planning everything at home have gone out of the window and now i have no idea what they are doing so i demanded to see Mr Nell, He explained that rather than going in at the hip they would do it at the knee but i would have more hardware put in - by this point i just wanted it over so i agreed.

I learned 3 things whilst I was in hospital this time

1) I dont agree with anestetic - i was sick constantly for 3 days. Anti-Sickness didnt work so they gave me ondanzetron (the anti-sickness they give to cancer paitents being treated with Chemo - that did work.)

2) I am allergic to Tramadol (after this i decided to just take paracetomal and nurofen to get my through)

3) I hate hospitals

My recovery was ok, quite painful, was NWB for 6 weeks, couldnt bend my knee at all without immense pain. Off crutches at 3 months (wasnt using them at home from 2 months tbh) andback to normal after a year.

Now im going through it all again accept as a newbie this time!!! Op is on 3rd April at Addenbrooks, Cambridge. Its an amazing hospital - easily one of teh best in the UK!