Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knee pain 4 months after partial meniscectomy  (Read 2762 times)

Offline abron0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee pain 4 months after partial meniscectomy
« on: October 13, 2008, 01:38:03 AM »
Hello,

I had a L partial meniscectomy back in June '08. It is now Oct '08, yet i'm still having a weird pain that is really bothering me and affecting my rehab. When my knee is moving actively or isometrically contracting between 60 to 90 degrees of flexion, I have this sharp pain that comes on the front and behind my patella. Passive movement of my knee through that range does not seem to cause the pain most of the time. Active movement and isometric quad contractions outside that range do not cause the pain. There is no pain at rest or at baseline. Tylenol or NSAIDS (advil, aleve) have not been able to help with the pain. Rest does not seem to help. Ice helps, but ice helps with everything.

I faithfully went to rehab for 4 or 5 weeks (my schedule did not permit anymore rehab time) and did their exercises daily.
I have full range of motion. That knee is not swollen, but it is somewhat warmer than the other knee. I do not have any tender areas that I can palpate. My quad is only slightly atrophied (~80-90%) compared to the other leg. I now have crepitus in that knee and my patella does track a little funny. Negative patellar-femoral sign (when you apply anterior pressure to the patella). All my ligaments are intact.

Does anyone have any clue as to what is wrong with my knee and what I should do to fix it? Do I have adhesions or a fasciitis? If there is any other information that could help, please ask.

Thanks so much,
John

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Knee pain 4 months after partial meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:43:39 PM »
Your best bet would be to go back and see your doctor.

Offline abron0

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 09:02:04 PM »
After surfing the internet and uptodate, I'm going to diagnose myself with quadriceps tendonitis from trying to come back too soon. It's the closest diagnosis to what I have and makes the most sense. To treat tendonitis... ice, NSAIDs, rest, ultrasound if I want to pay for it.

Thanks!
John

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 01:43:14 PM »
Self-diagnosis is generally a bad idea, but whatever. Rest is always a good idea if you continue to have pain. Some people think they should keep working through it. My PT says the more you do that the more inflammation you cause and it becomes a vicious cycle. While rehabbing my shoulder I had to stop for a couple weeks and wait for the inflammation to go away.

Offline buster5

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:37:50 PM »
2 years ago, I had a partial meniscectomy due to a lateral discoid meniscus in my right knee. I figured that I would be all set and ready to 'get back out there'. From about 2 months after the surgery till now, I had a funny feeling that things wern't right. I was correct!!! It ends up that the doc said that he only partially fixed the problem. The meniscus didn't heal the way it needed to, probably becuase I went back to marching in the Blue Band. Go PSU!!! Anyways, here it is 2 years later and I had to get surgery again. The darn thing tore in half and I'll never be able to run again!!! Make sure to monitor your situation closely and do physical therapy at least 2 times a week. I can't tell you what to do, but you may have a fun situation on your hands. I know that you originally posted a couple months ago, but if you haven't already, express your concern to your doc and make sure that something gets done about it. If not, you may end up like me and hating yourself for not asking when you had the chance. Good luck!!

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 02:17:34 PM »
The internet and message boards are excellent sources of information.  However, they aren't medically trained personnel listening, manuriving and examining your knee / leg.  We can all self diagnosis - but rather its correct or not, that is the question.  Go to a medical person and see what they have to say.  Plus, you may need stronger NSAIDS to help push you through this bad spot.

Having said that personally I think your expecting far too much from your recovery.  Yes its "just a scope" but the knee doesn't care - it didn't like it and its telling you about it.  eagle

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 06:15:45 PM »
I did the same thing with my knee and can honestly tell you that self-diagnosis doesn't work very well. Actually, it is best to see another doctor for a 2nd  opinion.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon