Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swelling in knee/thigh, bruising on inner thigh a week after hard impact to knee  (Read 13096 times)

Offline imekul

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi guys!

A week-and-a-half ago, I was playing in a softball game.  I was running at top speed, and slid in to second base, leading with my right foot, bending my left leg.  Well, it was a very bad slide, and I ended up landing directly on my left knee.  It hit the dirt first, and I just kind of skipped a little bit and stopped.  I don't think I twisted my knee at all; it was just a hard impact with the dirt.

Immediately, I had tremendous pain in my left leg, and my knee just swelled up quite a bit.  My knee actually felt kind of like Jell-O or a water balloon, as it was so loose, so easy to jiggle around due to the swelling and the fluid (blood?) in the knee.

Well, I assumed that things would improve over the next couple of days.  Here I am, though, nine days after the injury, and I still have plenty of liquid in my knee/thigh.

I've come to realize that I don't think this is a knee injury per se, but possibly a quadriceps injury.  I do have plenty of fluid in the knee when standing, but I think that is just due to gravity, as when I sit down, the fluid moves from the knee and into my thigh. 

I do have a couple of large bruises on the inner thigh, directly above and below the knee.  Also, my inner thigh (the vastus medialis muscle, maybe?) is pretty tender.

So I'm trying to figure out what's going on!  Initially, I thought it was a knee injury, due to all of the pain and swelling there.  But I'm realizing that the knee is hurting mostly because the gravity moves the fluid there when I stand, thus putting a whole lot of pressure on the knee itself.  I'm guessing the actual injury may be more in the thigh/quad as opposed to the knee.

I have seen a doctor a couple of days ago, and he thought it may be a tear in the quadriceps.  He had me get an x-ray, and I'm to see him again in a couple of days.

As this still hurts, and has not really gotten better in the past several days, I'm anxious to try to find out more on my own.  I'm wondering if anybody out there has any experience with similar injuries, or can give me an idea of just what exactly I may have hurt, and what to expect as far as treatment and recovery.

I am able to walk okay, but I limp.  My left leg is pretty stiff, but I can flex and extend it with a little effort.  My lower quad (directly above the "bend" when I'm sitting) is pretty much numb.  My inner, lower thigh is tender and is very bruised.  And, like I said, I have a lot of fluid in the leg, and when I stand it seems to all gather on my knee, making that very painful.

I would very much appreciate any advice!  I'm pretty surprised that this has not improved already, so I'm kind of concerned that this may be a little more serious than I thought. 

Thanks for reading this!  Take care.

- Luke

EDIT:  I should add that I am in good shape, I'm young (23), and I have a decent amount of muscle in my legs.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 09:28:38 PM by imekul »

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 71
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
Hi Luke

Don`t wait more than a couple of days - if there is no signs of improvement, opt for a MRI scan, this will give a clearer picture of any damage to the knee.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 61
  • There's always an alternative, just find it!
The bruising and swelling in the area of the muscle indicates a tear of some kind so get yourself to the doctor and get a clear diagnosis. With any luck it is a mild tear which will heal with rest and the RICE treatment. But at your age I would not like to see any kind of more serious rupture of anything.

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline imekul

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks for your advice, guys.  I'll be going to the doc tomorrow morning, so that should tell me a lot. :)

I can't get over how weird this loose fluid is.  It's really like a water balloon or Jell-O on my knee or wherever I move it to.  Really, really strange!

Offline Newgene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
I wish you the best, but pain and that level of swelling is usually not very good.  My OS was able to diagnose my quad tare long before the MRI.  I'm just going off my limited experience of what I personally had.  Your's could be completely something else.  My doctor was able to touch right above my kneecap, and he pretty much could go all the way to the bone because my quad was detached.  I knew I screwed it up, so that was no surprise.  Also, an OS can tell a lot from an x-ray just by the location of the cap.  If there is tendon damage, the kneecap may actually be riding too low in the knee.

Please keep us posted on the MRI, and I wish the best of luck.

Offline imekul

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Thanks.

I went to my family doctor again on Monday, and he told me he was sure that I had torn something, as all of the blood makes it pretty obvious.  He thought it may have been the quad muscle, or possibly a tendon.

I still have a decent amount of bruising on the inner thigh, right above the knee, although it seems to have faded a little bit from a few days ago, when it was a bright yellow and purple.

The doctor said that it wouldn't do any good to drain the knee yet, while there is still bruising, as he thinks the knee would just fill up again.  Plus, we would risk infection.  He was optimistic, though, that as the bruising goes away, the body may begin resorbing the blood back again, minimizing the swelling and the loose fluid.

So right now, I'm two weeks post-injury.  The pain in the actual injured area, which I believe to be my lower inner thigh -- feels just kind of like a pulled muscle, but it's not that severe.  The pain in the knee, from the pressure of the fluid, can still get really bad if I just stand up and let the water balloon on the knee appear.  But lately, I've been taking an Ace bandage or even a little jumper's knee band and just tightening it right at my knee, to not allow the fluid to go down below a certain level.

I was surprised, but this has helped me tremendously to at least make walking around pretty tolerable.  In the past, the sheer gravity of standing upright would just put way too much of that blood on my knee and would cause a lot of pain, resulting in me limping.  But now, with a bandage or a band in the right place -- or even pressing my fingers right on the kneecap -- it takes away most of the pain, because it prevents the blood from putting pressure on the knee.

Anyway, the doctor suggested I call him back in a week, which will be next Monday.  He said that if it doesn't start to drain soon, that he might refer me to an orthopedic surgeon, who may be able to drain it for me.  He also said he would recommend against the MRI for now, as it doesn't really matter WHAT exactly is torn, if either way I'm simply going to have to wait it out, if surgery doesn't seem necessary.

So I guess right now, I might just have to wait it out.  It's frustrating, because most of the discomfort is caused by the loose fluid, as opposed to what seems to be the actual injury itself.  But the bruising is starting to lighten up, so maybe as that goes away, so will some of the blood.  I hope so!

Thanks again for everyone giving their advice and sharing their experiences.  I appreciate it!

Offline hansonpruitt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Oct.7 of 2008, my husband and I went to Cherokee, NC on vacation to trout fish. Well, we had our waders on the first day and I stepped on a slippery rock and fell in the water hitting my right leg just below the knee on a very hard rock. I said ,it really hurts but let's keep fishing .So an hour later when we pull off my waders it had swollen up the size of a softball and was really hurting.We went back to our room and I propped it up and iced it down for the next 24 hrs. I also started taking ibuprofen.It has been six days and it is still swollen and really hurts. I guess I will go to the Doctor and get it xrayed although I know it isnt broken. I just dont know what it could be unless it is a blood clot. Have any suggestions? :(