Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Flying after knee surgery - how soon?  (Read 20966 times)

Offline Andraf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Flying after knee surgery - how soon?
« on: August 30, 2008, 03:39:43 AM »
My husband is going to have knee surgery next week to reconstruct the ACL with allograft and to have his meniscus repaired. How soon after that will he be able to fly safely? The doctor said six weeks would be preferable but my husband wants to get back to Europe - he's having the surgery in California. To get back home we would have to take an overseas flight to a European capital - 11 hours flight - and then another 2 hours flight from there. The only good thing is that his company said they would fly him either business or first class, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: Flying after knee surgery - how soon?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 04:45:13 AM »
I'm not a doctor, but if a doctor is telling you 6 weeks then I'd wait 6 weeks.  Its not only the sitting in one position but the altitude change that will cause even more swelling that is of concern.  The pressure change is brutal.  That flight is so long - you asked, I'd follow the doctors advise.  And even then it sounds like a conservative estimate to me.  My two cents........................

Offline clemmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 05:16:45 AM »

Also increased risk of developing DVT-- deep vein thrombosis-- i.e. blood clot in the veins of the legs. That's a very serious condition.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 58
  • There's always an alternative, just find it!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:12:42 AM »
Check with the airline too - they may not accept your husband unless the doctor confirms that it is OK in writing. I wasn't allowed to fly home after an emergency ACL repair until the doctor's OK in writing and that was only a 2 hour flight. And that was way before any one made any connection between DVT and flying long distances. I also had a nurse in attendance and was travelling 1st class (my one and only time). That was 5 weeks after my operation.

Sue  ;) in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 02:41:57 PM »
I'd like to mention the psychological and emotional stress of dealing with the unexpected. Surgery and the pain experienced thereafter drains us emotionally. I very nearly went into a panic attack from the crowds and the noise in the airport. Then there was the additional stress of having to deal with 2 gate changes and a flight change. Try to give yourself as much time as you can between the surgery and the flight.

Offline saundersms

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 04:07:25 PM »
I flew one week after I had a High Tibial Osteotomy and after my TKR.  I was out of state for surgery and going back home.  I was told to make sure I pumped my ankle many times during the flight.  The airlines were great, and helped in any way they could

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
I would go by your doctors advice, because if anything does go wrong you will not have a leg to stand on (excuse the pun). and any insurance will be invalid.

At Better safe than sorry.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall of horse April 2004
Knee locked Jan 07
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 (2 x 2cm grade 3 debridement)
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 (grade 2 debridement)
Ongoing problem been told further arthroscopies in the future