Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Split patella  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Cassie Elizabeth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Split patella
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »
Hey all,

I broke my patella in half about 6months ago. It was a very clean break apparently, I have heard this is better than a fracture? I had surgery and now have 2pins and figure of 8 wire holding it together. It is still pretty swollen and painful, but I am able to bend it pretty much all the way now. I am going to have the metal removed in about 6months.

I was just wondering about the long-term effects of this....will I be back to normal or will I always be a bit shaky on that knee?

Running?
Squatting?
All those things you take for granted before you break your patella?

Also how long will take for the swelling to lessen and the PAIN to stop?

Any tips would be really really appreciated.

Thank you

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Re: Split patella
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 06:38:59 PM »
I can't guarantee that you will ever get rid of all of the pain, but it does go away eventually.  Once the hardware is removed, life gets rapidly better.  I am 2 years post break and some activities still cause swelling.  I am not sure why, but it does.  I am almost 50 so if you are younger things may be different.  I do not do standing squats. I only do them using equipment that takes the pressure off the patella itself to carry my weight.  I hate lunges, so...

I have been warned away from running, but I did a 5 k not long ago.  I have arthritis, but that is from years and years of dislocations and not really - totally from the break.  I also have RA so that contributes, but I really do have my life back.  It just takes a long, long time.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline Cassie Elizabeth

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 05:04:00 PM »
Thank you, I have some hope now!

Offline candyfloss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 06:10:04 PM »
Hi I have had slplit patella from birth my right knee cap is split in to four bits and my left knee cap is split in two.
To make matters worse I have no groove for the knee cap to sit in. so my knee cap sit to high in my leg.
I had a a tenden realease on my right and left leg to hopefully keep my knee cap in place.
The right one appears to have worked but my left knee is a lot worse.

Does anyone know if there is anything else I could try.

Offline wertiewert

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 02:58:14 PM »
Hi Cassie,
I broke my left patella six months ago (Feb 08) while crossing a street. I tripped and fell onto my left knee breaking it into three pieces. My break was displaced so without question, I had surgery three days later. The surgeon used two screws and fiberwire to mend the break. I was placed into a velcro immobilizer for only 8 days and then was instructed to get rid of my crutches, start walking, and get myself into physical therapy three days/week. I continued with PT for three months and now do exercises on my own.

It's been a rough ride although I have made progress. My ROM is about the same as my "good" knee although I still have pain and stiffness. Walking up/down stairs is a real challenge. The swelling has come down but has a way to go. I have a horrible crunching sound when I extend my knee or walk up stairs. My doctor said this is synovitis and may/maynot go away. That's encouraging.

I saw my surgeon at my 6-month mark and he said see you in another six months. I guress that's good news. There was no talk about taking the screws out. But I'm wondering if some of the pain I have is due to this metal in my knee. I can't endure another surgery at this time even if it's arthroscopic but I will bring up at my next visit. Everyone on this site say that  they feel better and have more ROM after the screws are removed.

I get discouraged thinking that I should be further along in my progress but my doctor said everyone is different and it could take up to a year. Part of my exercise routine at home involves using an exercise ball to do squats by standing with my back against a wall putting the ball between me and the wall and slowly bend my knees. I do this to strengthen my quads. I also use my stationary bike everyday.

I hope this helps with some of your questions since we both are at that six month period.