Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2  (Read 224580 times)

Offline Puffy the Knee Slayer

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
Re: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2
« Reply #1455 on: December 11, 2016, 11:12:18 AM »
Hi Nick,

I am sorry you are now having problems with your hip as well, and that physio seem to be condemning you to managing your pain rather than resolving the problem.

I hope the MRI will provide useful information and show something that can be tackled.

You are right though we are used to getting setbacks, persevere and hopefully something else will emerge that can be done to help. It is a long road.
06/07 ankle sprain - collapsed arch
01/08 fall doing physio
06/09 MRI fat pad impingement
01/13 MRI medial meniscal tear
03/15 - decent orthotics
01/15 MRI - pes anseurine bursitis, SPL fat pad impingement, PFMaltracking
Cortisone 04/15; 03/16; 06/16; 08/15 Cortisone+Duralane; 10/16 Cortisone+Botox

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 33
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
Re: Nick's RK Medial plica excision/fat pad op#1 Anterior interval release op#2
« Reply #1456 on: December 18, 2016, 06:24:45 PM »
18/12/16 28 Months Day 884 Post Op

Here is my latest review from my consultation with the sports medicine doctor, finally my right knee problem treatment is coming to a final decision after all the conservative treatments have failed. I am really hoping that this time round my MRI comes back positive for a change after not being able to run for 4 years in January. Walking at a slow pace with a noticeable limp with crunching/cracking sounds recently! Surely there has to be an internal problem inside the kneecap.

Dear ****

I re-reviewed Nicholas in Clinic. Unfortunately the loading programme supervised by **** ***** Physiotherapist, and the shockwave treatment has not provided any improvement in symptoms. Nicholas found initially the loading did help but found that the loaded exercises aggravated his symptoms if anything.

Nicholas is now flagging some new symptoms around his knee. He is experiencing some clicking and general feeling of instability. He is known to have a fixed flexion contracture secondary to arthrofibrosis. He is also describing some right lateral hip pain which again is associated with clicking.

Clinically today he is not especially tender on palpation through the right patellar tendon but has some general discomfort on end of range of flexion. McMurray's is uncomfortable but does not produce a click. His right hip has a well-preserved internal rotation of 15 degrees but the FADIR position is sore. He is stiff and sore at end of range of FABER testing.

In light of these new symptoms I think it is worth performance an X-ray of pelvis to rule out hip dysplasia as well as an MRI of the right hip to rule out any labral pathology. I will also re-MRI scan the right knee to look for any occult pathology.

Nicholas did discuss whether he felt an upright MRI scan done privately would be helpful. I do not not think it would be. He also discussed with me whether re-referral to Professor Snow would be wise for a potential diagnostic arthroscopy. I have explained that I think these investigations are important and they should be done intially prior to a referral. I will see Nicholas again with the results of the imaging.

Many thanks

Yours sincerely,

Consultant in MSK & Sports Medicine.

With my latest assessment showing up new knee symptom problems hopefully the MRI scan will pick it up easily this time round. I was going to have an interview as a Playworker for autistic kids in November after volunteering for the organisation for over 18 months. My right knee and hip is hindering my chances of employment. Felt useless when they went an indoor trampoline park as I could not join. Instead I spent time with a service user that cannot be close proximity to others. If a child needs the toilet two playworkers are required due to historical sexual abuse cases, I was useful after all but I do miss not taking part in physical activities.

It says on job description need to be physically fit and active to take part in sporting activities. I can help out with swimming as there minimal impact on the joints. The Manager is more concerned if a playworker cannot swim as it's an essential part of the job description. I have been complemented how well I interact and support service users during one to one sessions by the leaders I work under. They should consider my physical disabilities pairing me up with service users on wheelchairs and with MS etc. Classed as discrimination not taking me on due to my joint problems.

Puffy, Thanks for responding, we both know from our personal experiences the setbacks we have to face and often not are not taken seriously until it gets to a stage when the knee become so bad that they finally need to do something to ease the pain and discomfort.

Happy Christmas, hopefully 2017 will be the turning point of finally getting to our never ending knee sagas sorted out.

[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:14:26 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFS & Maltracking
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 33
  • Never put 100% trust into a negative MRI scan!
09/01/17 28 Months Day 906 Post Op

Not the greatest start to 2017 that largely down to my right knee and hip problems! I have been volunteering at the young people’s autism group for 2 years in April and been doing one to one for the whole session. The Leader has no concerns about my mentoring skills and ready for employment as the organisation has increased funding in 2017 that can now take on more playworkers and service users at the various clubs throughout the Birmingham region.

My right knee and hip problems is a concern right now, ideally staff have to be physically fit or can become a safeguarding concern! An example if a service user ran off I could not give chase and the club do lots of sporting activities that I am physically unable to do as I cannot walk quickly or run. It is frustrating and stressful as I know I can do the job to a high standard, the club I help out at are looking to employ a new playworker and already known by staff and service users and someone autistic does not like new faces. They have known me well, it is my knee and hip problems that is stopping me getting a paid job.

I have qualifications in horticulture and could do a gardening job but it flares up my right knee and hip. I was offered a job during the growing season starting from March 2017 to maintain people’s garden by the Director of the autism charity shop. I had to turn down the job offer due to my on-going right knee/hip injury.

I have got a date for the MRI scan on Friday 27th January 2017 @15:50 for both my right knee and hip with the results on Tuesday 31st January when I see the Sports Medicine Doctor. Hopefully this time round the MRI scan comes back positive that show something concrete to try and fix or at least ease some of the pain and discomfort and increase my mobility so I can finally for fill my dream job.

Will remain positive and try not to let the setbacks mentally torment me by carrying on volunteering for adults and young people with additional needs at the various clubs I help out at. 

Happy New Year, hopefully 2017 us KneeGeeks can get out knee problems sorted out.

[email protected]
RK: PFS & Maltracking
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
Cortisone injections: 23/12/15, 22/10/15, 13/05/15, 30/03/10, 23/04/09

Offline Puffy the Knee Slayer

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 5
That sounds really frustrating that both your career options are being impeded by your knee, especially when you have worked so hard volunteering for so long and building relationships with the people who use the service and colleagues etc and you know the job would be the perfect fit for you were it not for your injury.

The only thing I can think of is asking for a reasonable adjustment under the Equality Act 2010 to accomodate your knee problem, but I am not sure on the legalities of it, if being able to run around after young people is an essential requirement of the post. You could maybe discuss it with them? But if being fit is part of safeguarding i am not sure.

Of course I know the best option would be for the knee problem to be resolved!

Will keep my fingers crossed for your MRI date (am still waiting for my date) and hope that whatever is causing the continuing problems shows up so they can go in and sort it out for you. Good luck.
06/07 ankle sprain - collapsed arch
01/08 fall doing physio
06/09 MRI fat pad impingement
01/13 MRI medial meniscal tear
03/15 - decent orthotics
01/15 MRI - pes anseurine bursitis, SPL fat pad impingement, PFMaltracking
Cortisone 04/15; 03/16; 06/16; 08/15 Cortisone+Duralane; 10/16 Cortisone+Botox

Advertisement