I don't care what anyone says.....to go from (in my case) driving boats (dream job) and watching the sunset on the Gulf of Mexico every night...marrying people....I have wonderful kids whose U.S. Navy Sea Cadet Youth Group I command and have real troubles keeping up now....my wife is a very healthy (and a hottie) martial arts instructor who I have been chasing for the past 25 years. Now, I have so many parts that hurt and that does really mount up. My OS told me when I broached the subject of my moods (anger and emotions) that rotate depending on what day, that he has been on depression medication for 11 years or he cries like a baby. I wondered what he had to cry about as he has had no surgery that I am aware of.....but whatever. My life was perfect....and now I really do get angry sometimes.
My 14 year old daughter is having knee trouble and my OS diagnosed her with Chodromalacia and suggested the infamous LR. He recommend a second OS at All Children's Hospital (Part of Johns Hopkins here it ST Pete) and he said the same thing and also recommended an LR. Six months ago I would have agreed....minimally invasive surgery....arthroscopic...if they find something else they can take care of it at that time. Now everyone on KG is screaming....watch out for the LR!!! So I go to another specialist 15 feet down the hall from OS #2 and he says my daughter has rotational problems and needs specific CT scans to find it. He says if she had an LR, she would have been messed up for life. I have done all the "God has a plan" and "whatever I did in my previous life this is pay back" and "if I think i have it bad....look at someone else".
Total bushel of horse puckies! I am trying to stay positive...stiff upper lip and all that... but if these OS's had ruined my gorgeous 14 year old daughters future and dream to fly jets some day, I think I would have lost it and become very violent. Murderously violent in fact. They have a responsibility to not be that far behind. I am told that their was a paper in the Orthopedic whatever's that they are supposed to read years ago recommending against the random LR.
1) You should Google the "Intractable Pain Patient's Guide" from Dr. Forest. It will help you with all forms of meds. Pain is your enemy...use it!
2) Yes, you need to get someone to talk to. A Knee Geek, a Psychologist, a friend or relative....feel free to call my black lab named Polly...she does wonders for my mood and I would suggest a puppy. They do wonders for your mood if you are confined to the house.
3) Sleep is vital....if you can't sleep you need to do whatever necessary med wise or comfort wise. You can't heal without sleep.
4) Get a polar ice chest and jell ice packs. The polar ice chest is a cooler with a pump that circulates ice water thru hoses around a pad on your knee.
5) Deep tissue massage will help all forms of your body. My knee is raising havoc with my right hip, lower and upper spine, and both shoulders.
6) Try Accupuncture. it is working for me. It gets better with each treatment.
7) Get multiple opinions. You will get recommendations for the very best doctors available for your condition. If you must travel, it is worth it.
If you need anything, don't hesitate to send me or anyone else here a message.