Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cant lift leg after surgery  (Read 1506 times)

Offline rlazboss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Cant lift leg after surgery
« on: May 02, 2008, 02:25:27 AM »
Hi I am  15 and had the OATS procedure and meniscus repair, I cannot do 1 leg lift and feel like I cannot activate the muscle intended for doing so, Also when i put my hand on my knee and bend it i feel it creek.

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 15
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Cant lift leg after surgery
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 04:18:48 AM »
You don't say when your surgery was. It is not uncommon for the muscles to be extremely weak for the first few days after surgery, it may take as long as a week for you to move it much without using a hand to help depending on what was done. Call your surgeon's office if you have concerns about what is to be expected based on what they did. That should have been discussed with you and your parents either pre-op or before you went home when they did the surgery.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline rlazboss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:33:14 AM »
well i had my surgery last monday so its been a week and a half, i know that even when I woke up from surgery I couldn't lift it, I also know that the OATS want arthroscopic maybe that has something to do with it.

Offline amyjod2

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 10:21:29 PM »
Hi,

It is definitely common to not be able to lift your left post surgery.  I will come back slowly.  Not to worry and slet nature take its course.  Don't rush the healing.

Amy

fatcats6

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 11:42:43 PM »
It's a very odd thing to have your brain tell your leg to do something and your leg just says "I don't think so".  Don't worry, it's just your body trying to protect your leg because it knows it's been messed with.  Time is what you need...keep trying to move it, eventually you'll be rewarded with a response, even if it's just a little one.

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 12:42:13 AM »
Have you started physical therapy? Does your surgeon want you to do straight leg raises? If you have the okay but haven't started PT, here's a trick. Lying on a flat surface (like a bed), bend your good knee so your foot is flat on the bed. Keeping your injured leg flat on the bed, flex your ankle so your toes are pointed at the ceiling and try to press the back of your knee into the bed. Have someone slowly lift your straight leg until it is even with your bent knee, then slowly lower it back down again. Do three sets of ten just like if you were lifting it yourself. This "wakes up" the muscles and reminds them what they are supposed to be doing! Eventually your muscles will start to help and you'll be able to do it yourself.

I've needed this kind of help after several of my surgeries. After my first surgery to repair a ruptured quadriceps tendon, the PT had to do this (and we did it at home) for three weeks before I could do a straight leg raise by myself. She told me it would click in one day, and she was right. One day I couldn't lift at all by myself, and the next day I could do all three sets of ten by myself!

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline rlazboss

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 06:36:37 AM »
Thanks for your help everyone, my doc put me on PT a week ago and im doing great.