Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wire removal on healed patella  (Read 3545 times)

Offline etta

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Wire removal on healed patella
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:10:03 AM »
Hi
I have a diary going here about myself breaking my patella last September. I am going to get the wires holding my patella together taken out around about September coming up. Anyone had this done and what is the post op. period like?
Thanks for the info as I certainly don't get much from the doctor when I see him - I quite believe they feel we dont need to know these things.

Patella broken 4th September, operation 6th September 2007.
Left hospital on the 11th September.
Had clips out of wound on the 19th September.
Brace gone on the 17th October.
Appt with OS on the 28th Nov.
See OS on the 2nd July 2008 to arrange for wire removal.
Op on the 2 Oct. to get wires out

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Wire removal on healed patella
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:46:36 AM »
Hi There,

I have been trying to get my friend on this site.  She broke her patella in pieces last year and had the iron mongery taken out in February this year and she was back in work two weeks after the procedure.  (I had lesser surgery and was off a month!!!).  The only thing she had complained about was a lump that developed on the scar site which she found out was scar tissue from the previous surgery which they had stitched over again.  She spoke with the OS last week and he said to let him know if it started to cause problems.  (she works in the orthopaedics department of the hospital)  How luck is that.  She was doing stairs confidently a week after surgery.  I know everyone is different but you may be lucky as well.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall of horse April 2004
Knee locked Jan 07
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 (2 x 2cm grade 3 debridement)
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 (grade 2 debridement)
Ongoing problem been told further arthroscopies in the future

Offline etta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »
Hi Sue
Thanks for getting back to me so promptly. When I last spoke to the OS he said a lot of people didn't get the wires out of their knees as it didn't affect them. Myself, I find kneeling very painful as the wires stick into my skin so will be glad to get rid of them. It was a pity about your friends lump as I would have thought the OS would have cut away the scar tissue. Anyway she is working in the right place so will be able to get the scar tissue cut away if needed. Does your friend still find the patella gets stiff especially in the cold weather. I live in New Zealand and our winter is just starting and am finding the cold making my knee quite stiff, it doesn't seem to be so free as it was in the warmer weather.
Well must away.
Etta

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 06:15:18 PM »
Hi Etta,

She said the cold does effect her knee even now with the iron mongery removed.  She would have left it in but one of the wire was sticking out after she lost a lot of weight and it felt sore.  Her OS said if she had any problems he would see her straight away but at the moment she is doing very well.

Won't be long before we eventually have a summer (if we have one).  Do you have bad winters?

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall of horse April 2004
Knee locked Jan 07
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 (2 x 2cm grade 3 debridement)
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 (grade 2 debridement)
Ongoing problem been told further arthroscopies in the future

Offline etta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 07:29:47 AM »
Hi Sue
I expect the cold will affect my knee for the rest of my life, cant expect my knee to be the same as before. As I am in the older age group, 60's, at least I haven't got years ahead of me like the younger ones here. Some of them could have 40 or so years ahead of them - although I hope to be here yet for another 15 or so years, God willing.
Our Winters are not so bad, dont get any snow, although we have mountain ranges close by and they get snow on them which in turn we get the wind from the west and south which makes our area very cold. Would rather be in the north of New Zealand as the climate up there very mild.
Etta

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 05:31:41 AM »
Hi Etta,

Good luck in September for the removal of the wire.  I hope to catch up with you soon.  I have been to and from Neurologist, OS and GP appointments lately.  I pray you, your daughter and family are feeling well.

Hugs Wyn
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline etta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 11:15:56 AM »
Hi Wyn
Months are going by, get the wires out on the 2nd October, not long to go now.

Anyone else had this procedure done - if so, how long does the op. take and the recuperation period.
Etta

Offline etta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 10:27:40 AM »
Back I am again and have had the wires out.
Had the hardware taken out on the 2nd October. Had a spinal anaesthetic again, thought for a small op. like this dont need to have the general. Got the OS to give me the wires - couldn't believe I had such thick wires in my knee, quite fascinating to see them.
The OS opened up the original wound, (hope this heals better than before as I had keloid scarring on one part of the knee), the the op lasted about half an hour and have had clips put in the knee as when I first broke the patella.
Clips are to stay in for 2 weeks and am able to walk straight away, although I did have crutches in the hospital and a walker to get around to begin with. Have taken the crutches home just in case I need them. This op. is nothing like the first op. as I couldn't walk on the left leg for 6 weeks. Knee very stiff again so back to physio when all healed again. Didnt have much sleep last night being hooked up to IV etc. or the night before but tonight hope to get better nights sleep.

Offline etta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 08:56:56 AM »
A week has gone since I had the op. Had the wound dressed on Monday and also yesterday. Wound looking good. Been taking Arnica Homeopathic tablets 3 times a day to assist with the healing. Quite a few people I have spoken to are surprised to see me getting around town only a few days after the op. Take one crutch up town to assist with the walking otherwise ok. This Thursday coming go back to the hospital to get the clips out. Start physio again in a few weeks so then I start my second journey.

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 01:49:57 AM »
Hi Etta,

Thought I better check in, I have been a bit busy with appointments and family matters. I knew it must of been close. I am so glad you seem to be doing great and everyone is impressed with you. You will not know yourself once you get into that physio you will be back to normal in no time. I am so pleased for you.
Warming up soon, and when you can, the pool will be great.

I have to recondition myself. Not make myself hurt apparently. That was wrong what I was doing and my physio did not know I had something else wrong and she was telling me to push through the pain and actually it was worsening my condition. It is really hard to describe or make people understand what has happened, but they are operating soon and doing as less as possible because it will cause be me more permanent pain for life and at the moment they may have a chance at lowering it. I have to sit for 10 to 15 and get up and do things before the pain that I cannot handle sets in, so I have to time it.

Wish you all the best.

Take care, hugs Wyn
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline etta

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 05:30:10 AM »
Hi Wyn
Knee coming along okay, went to PT on the 3rd November and she said at this stage just to sit on a chair and see how far I can push leg back - also sitting on the bed and tightening my quads and bending my leg with a sand bag at the ankle area and lifting up and down. Just going slowly at the moment BECAUSE since my last last post I have gone and had another injury, you just wouldn't believe it. On the 17th October was lifting a heavy box and as I was trying to pick it up an almighty crack rendered in the air. To cut a long story short after being taken to hospital in the ambulance and x-rays done I have gone and cracked my L2 vertabrae so now in a brace for this. I am so annoyed with myself, never thought this would happen as have lifted heavy boxes before over the years. Was on morpheine tablets for this lot for about 2 weeks until they started giving me side affects and went off them last Thursday, now just taking Codeine and Panadol. I will certainly wouldn't make a good druggie as even the Codeine send me into lala land. Haven't had any pain in almost 24 hours so could be getting to the stage where I don't need any pain killers. Have to go to the fracture clinic on the 12th November for further xrays and see the doctor. When I get the brace off the PT said I could go into the pool and start exercises there for my back. Have been told by my daughter-in-law that Palates are good for back injuries so will look into that in the near future. Have been resting a lot over the last 3 weeks since I did my back injury, just as well I love reading.
So this is my good/bad news.

Will sign off for now.

Huggs Etta

support