Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Building Quads and VMO Back-Up? ? ?  (Read 2343 times)

Offline OoOGazOoO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Building Quads and VMO Back-Up? ? ?
« on: March 01, 2008, 09:36:54 PM »
Hi guys.

What have you found effective methods and exercises to build the quad back up, on the affected leg.

I have been doing straight leg raises but i have a hard time believing they will add bulk back to the leg and especially the VMO, as my VMO has atrophied quite badly.

I had autologous chonrdocyte implantation before Christmas, and now i am able to do things again to start building the quad back up, obviously safe ways though (no squats, extensions, etc...).

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Gaz.

Offline dw6928

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Building Quads and VMO Back-Up? ? ?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:13:02 PM »
My PT uses Neuromuscular Stimulation on my Quads. A 10 minute session has the the same muscle building effect as a 60 minute workout w/weights. Check into it.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 10:53:16 AM »
If you search my posts you will find a lot of info on how I have managed to build up an invisible VMO and very badly atrophied quads. I had bad treatment for a long time and last June my proper treatment began, my quads were so bad I could barely move my leg, my VMO was so bad my OS thought it was paralysed - he could not find it despite me straining to contract it as hard as I could.
I started with e-stim, 20 mins twice a day and then exercises that were specifically aimed at engaging the VMO, the VMO cannot be isolated, it is part of the quad set, but you can encourage it to work by making adjustments to exercises (turning your foot out by 10 degrees on an SLR for example). My whole exercise program is around here somewhere. My quads are now good size, my VMO is visible to the naked eye and on contraction (hard) its around 70% the size of the other side, however it is still very slow to contract and it seems I have to really strain hard to contract it hard enough to stabilise, my physio says my neuro recruitment is still slow.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline OoOGazOoO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 02:31:52 PM »
Hi guys, thanks a lot for the replies.

tanyap - is there any chance i could have a look at your programme please as i haven't been able to find it? ? ?

Many thanks.

Gaz.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 03:30:50 PM »
took me a while to find it :) i hadnt realised i posted so often!!
thats the basics - read that whole thread if you have time. theres other info in other threads ive posted in saying what I had to do to get the muscles working again, ive a lot of work left to go though - this is just the story of how i went from dead muscles to awake muscles, but they are still sleepy and not as strong as they need to be.

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=40383.msg343240#msg343240
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline OoOGazOoO

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 10:02:11 PM »
Thank you very much for your time and help.

I will have a good read of that.

Thanks again.

Gaz.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »
I hope it helps you, all those exercises started with no weights then progressed to holding weights for the standing exercises like squats, lunges, 1 leg squats, step downs, and ankle weights for the SLRs, partial leg extensions.
When I started that exercise program I was truly just going through the motions, my muscles hung slack and wouldnt contract unless i squeezed my eyes shut and really pulled on them. But with time they have started to contract automatically. I STILL have trouble on the step downs!!

All the exercises are performed 3 times a day, 15 reps of each, then 2 sessions of the e-stim every day also.

Let us know how you get on - Ill be interested to hear if its any help to you.
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Apr 2008 - next OS app