Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: anyone's recovery take this long for a simple partial meniscectomy?  (Read 14359 times)

Offline adteaf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: anyone's recovery take this long for a simple partial meniscectomy?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »
Lkneepain,  Have you gone to PT at all, you shouldn't have to live with just a quality of life (I do share in the tightness, especially in the AM. The Dr. should be able to offer something different. Just like guam that goes to a different Dr (which is what I am doing today, say a prayer or two and will do the same for you guys), the gap between what the Dr tells you before you go under the knife and after is very different. Hate to cynical, but the bill came in for the surgery and the Dr was paid $4783. Like other service industries, that $ payout should be contingent on the patient wellness, based on the way the operation was described that the procedure is "minimally invasive" This forum keeps things in perspective.

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2008, 05:10:03 AM »
I haven't had my mri yet to see if I tore something again, but is it ok to continue to ride bike and swim if pain is minimal?  I just want my leg as strong as possible in case I need another scope.
Also, if I ride bike and swim daily, do I still need to be doing PT?  PT doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.  Although, I don't see it getting me better if something is torn again.
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

Offline adteaf

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 03:22:38 AM »
Guam, Don't know if this helps, but when I asked my PT if ok to go to one crutch all time, he advised against it. I would think along the same lines and avoid anything to aggravate what may be happening in the knee without the knowledge of what the MRI can reveal (anyway to step up the MRI, considering  you have been going over a year now). Bottom line, I had a medial meniscus tear for a long time and gradually got worse on stepper and stairmaster. I aggravated it by simply bending my leg and getting up which resulted in a fold getting in the joint and causing a "locked knee" (would not want to see that happen to you, because the only option I had was emergency surgery)

Offline Lkneepain

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 11:41:22 PM »
4 months now, still tight medially, just had 2nd MRI and saw a new OS, he said the pain is from intra-op shaving of my femur, and may take 6 mo to a year to feel better. Glad to know what's wrong- any one else have femoral shaving along with their partial meniscectomy?

Offline David Baker

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »
I had a total lateral menisectomy on june 4,2008. it was supposed to be just a partial but the Doc siad he had to take it all out...My knee hurts a lot now, I think it probally always will. the worst part about it is that it rarely ever hurt before the surgery, And the doctor knew that. It would get stiff sometimes but never any pain..I really think I was better off before the surgery. What gets me is that the doctor never told me of any risks execpt for the risk of infection. I can't beleive a doctor would just jump right into a surgery like that if there was any chance of you being worse off..I guess its my own fault for not getting a second and third opinion

Offline guam

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • I hate knee problems
    • for anything fokai
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2008, 12:38:11 AM »
got another mri (that's 3 in the past year) and it shows the same as the 2nd mri minus the discoid lateral meniscus with tear.  It seems the problem is a fibrillated articular cartilage, or as my local doctor doctor put it, patellar femoral syndrome, aka chondromalacia.  I've had it since the second mri.  From what I've read, this seems to happen to a lot of people who've had a torn meniscus.  The out of state OS told me this may be a problem but to see how it heals in 3-4 months.  I'm at about 3 months now, so time to go back and check.

I kept thinking I still had a meniscus problem.  that may no longer be the case.  hopefully I won't need another surgery.  I've read some of the stories on the patello-femorral topics and there doesn't seem to be too many success stories.  and almost all of them that had the surgery wish they hadn't.  I may just elect for some hardcore PT if I have chondromalacia.

Again, good luck to all of you in pursuit of a normal knee(s).
9/2007: diagnosis: discoid lat. meniscus with tear-rk
10/2007: part. lat. menisectomy-rk.- failure
5/2008: fix previous surgery
2/2010: diagnosed with discoid lat. meniscus with tear-lk
5/2010: partial lat. meniscectomy-lk
11/2011: scope on rt. knee. diagnosis: varus knee
12/2011: HTO

Offline aluchsinger

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 07:50:37 AM »
It's been several months since my last post about a lateral meniscectomy that was taking forever to heal...

Since then, I visted a new OS, and got a second MRI.  The MRI showed nothing.  However, after sports, my knee was in pain, and visibly swollen with a baker's cyst. My OS agreed that something was wrong.

So, I had a second surgery.  We found 4 things:

1. A full-thickness chunk missing from the cartliage on my bone that was floating around
2. A second meniscus tear and fringing around where it was cut last time
3. A band of scar tissue floating around my joint
4. Synovitis, inflamation of the synovial "pouch" that looked like an anemonie at the points where the incisions were made last time (sp)

Anyway, I had a microfracture proceedure done on the full thickness chunk (you can read about it online).  The rest of the issues were basically removed to "clean it up".

Supposedly, I have 4 months before I'm back to sports, but my OS is very confident that i'll recover 100%.

Anyway, my learning has been that if you think something is wrong, it probably is, so take the initiative and get it checked out with a new doctor. 4, 5, 9, or 12 months IS DEFINITELY too long for a simple meniscectomy to heal, so chances are that more work needs to be done.

(PS. Don't feel discouraged by my closing remarks. If more work needs to be done, that means that something can be fixed! Go get it done and get your life back in order.)

If I remember, I'll let you guys know how it all turns out.

support