Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Misaligned knee cap surgery  (Read 3108 times)

Offline marlene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Misaligned knee cap surgery
« on: July 23, 2003, 01:56:39 AM »
I am scheduled for surgery next Wednesday.  I am having arthoscopic surgery to realign my knee cap. Currently it is too far to the outside of my leg.  I have a lot of popping, cracking and some pain when I bend it.
The doctor told me he is going to go in, clean under the kneecap (Arthritis), cut the muscle(lateral release?) so the kneecap can move back where it belongs and then cauterize 2 arteries.  I was told I would be in an immobilizer for 2 days to make sure I don't pop open the arteries and then do physical therapy for about a week and should be able to return to work in a week and a half.
I won't be under general anethesia but I will be asleep. I have never had any surgery before, broken bone or stitches.
I am 36 and even still have my tonsils and wisdom teeth. (knock on wood...)
I am scared to death now reading all these stories and was wondering if anyone had the type of surgery I am having? How did it go?
My doctor is supposed to be one of the best in the Southwest and said it is an easy surgery.  (about an hour and a half)

Marlene

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
    • Check out my photography!
Re: Misaligned knee cap surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 03:11:37 AM »
Hi Marlene.

I posted this big, long reply to you...then realized that you weren't trying to decide about lateral release, you've already got it scheduled.  I zapped my own post because it suddenly didn't seem appropriate (it was all about the decision-making process).

Anyway, I've had a lateral release and just wanted to say don't worry about the actual surgical procedure itself.  It was not that bad.  Although I'm not quite sure why yours is going to take an hour and a half--mine took about 35 minutes.  Is your doctor doing an open procedure?  That might change the rehab time frame a bit.

The actual procedure went fine for me.  I was out cold before I got to the OR, didn't care what they did, and my pain was never really out of control or anything.  I was hobbling around the house without crutches the next day, and got rid of the crutches at day 6.  Once PT starts, it gets more painful for a while because you are working things and trying to regain range of motion.  Again, it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.  After one week, I stopped taking pain meds during the day, and took them at night and after PT for another 1-2 weeks or so).

The lateral release didn't work for me, but the actual procedure wasn't a nightmare or excruciatingly painful or anything.  I just wanted to reassure you about that.  The hardest thing is learning how to walk all over again, because the surgery changes the mechanics of your knee.  Also, regaining range of motion is frustrating and can be painful for some--depending on how much swelling there is.  I've had 5 arthroscopic procedures, and the lateral release was the 'easiest' one if there is such a thing.  Not something I'd do for fun, but it wasn't something that traumatized me for life, either.  It was more the complications from my unique situation that made my life so difficult--I'm sure you will be fine.  I just have a weird body that forms TONS of scar tissue, making my knee worse than it was before the lateral release procedure.  This is a very rare complication.

Heather

PS Where in the Southwest are you?  I'm in Phoenix.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 03:20:12 AM by hmaxwell »
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline Jennie

• Forum Faithful
  • LoveBug
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 03:51:45 AM »
Hey Marlene,

First and foremost good luck with your upcoming surgery and welcome to the board!

I have had 2 lateral releases, but both of them have been open procedures, I have never had arthroscopic as it has never been an option for me due to the severity of my knee problems.

The lateral releases were not very painful surgeries, although I later went on to have more drastic surgeries b/c my kneecap would not stay in place :-[

I'm with Heather on the fact that the pain and rehab was nothing that I could not handle, I would go through a thousand lr's than go through one of the surgeries that I just had!!

I know you will do great, the most important thing to remember is to work hard at therapy it's like my surgeon and so many on here say after the operation the surgeon has done his job, and the next step is when your work comes in :)

Good luck and anytime you need advice feel free to ask!

Love, Jennie
21 yrs. old..Right knee injury. Ligament Recon 6-21-01, 2 LR's 3/02 & 9/02
TTT 11/08/02, patella and ligament recon 5/03
Recently dx with OA, Having hardware removed and knee scoped on 6/24/04

Offline marlene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 05:41:59 PM »
Thank you so much!  I feel sooo much better.  You guys really helped me out.  I will just be glad when it is over.  I tried P/T for awhile but I just had too much grinding/popping and it caused my knee to swell so the doctor decided I needed surgery. I really liked the people there and I am glad I will be going back to them after my surgery.
I think the procedure will take less than the time he said, I think the surgeon was giving me the high side of time just to be safe.
I am really hoping this works because I am an avid cyclist and I haven't been able to ride for awhile.  I am dying to get back on my bike!
Heather, I work in Phoenix (Phoenix College).  Are you in that area of Phoenix?

Thank you again!
Marlene

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 10:09:26 PM »
Marlene:

My LR took about an hour and half, too, and it was arthroscopic. At the same time, they took out a lot of scar tissue and cleaned up the back of the patella. I had been in a lot of pain before the surgery, so it didn't seem that bad after. But as Heather said, PT always makes it hurt more! I was on crutches for a few days, then used a cane for a few weeks, and was back to work in 5 weeks. But this was my 3rd surgery and I had other issues to deal with along the way. Good luck and hope things go well for you.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline marlene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 11:28:38 PM »
Thank you.  I guess the doctor will know more once he can get in there and look around.
I just wish one person who had this done had positive results. It seems to me like no one ever gets by with just one surgery.  I know I will have to get my other knee done in the future because it has the same symptoms that this one started out with. Both of the patella's showed that they were to far to the outside and grinding on my thigh bone in the x-rays.  It is just that my right one is a lot worse at this time.  
I figure one week from right now I will be home recouperating!  
My husband broke his tibia plateu skiing (during our honeymoon) and I had to drive him back to Arizona from Breckenridge, CO to have surgery. (What a trip!)  He had a titanium plate with 3 screws put in. UGH!  He is just now back to normal and so I have all the crutches, a cane and a wheelchair from his surgery!
I much more liked being the nurse than the patient!  ;-)

Thank you,
Marlene

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 02:42:19 AM »
Marlene,

Here's a link to some information that I posted about lateral release and the decision making process involved.  This might help with some of your questions:

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/cgi-bin/KNEEtalk/YaBB.pl?board=PF_joint;action=display;num=1058985768

Heather
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation

Offline marlene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 03:49:00 AM »
Heather,

Thank you for the website - I will definitely check it out.  I don't know if you read my earlier posting but I do work in Phoenix - at Phoenix College. I know you mentioned you were in Phoenix, are you near there?

I am so glad I found this website-you guys made me feel better and everyone is so nice!

Marlene

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 03:59:28 AM »
Oops, I forgot that part!

I don't actually know where Phoenix College is...not surprising, since our city has over 2 million people!  Anyway, I'm in Ahwatukee, right at the base of South Mountain (on the Tuscon side).  Technically, we are part of the East Valley, but I'm due south of downtown and the airport.

Who is your doctor?  You can send me a private message if you don't want to name names publicly.  I've seen a lot of PHX orthopedic surgeons!

Heather

Offline marlene

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2003, 04:13:25 AM »
HEather,

How do I get your email address?  I am still learning what all the little icons are so I don't know where to find it.

Phoenix College is at 12th Ave. and Thomas.  I live in Gilbert and I love Ahwatukee!  I go there all the time.  

Let me know how to get your email address and we can chat!

Thanks!
Marlene

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 21
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2003, 01:16:23 PM »
Hi
To private message (IM) look to the left of one of their posts. Under their name is a tiny icon which looks like a portrait in a mount. Click it to read thst person's profile. On the profile page is an option to send them a private message.
Note, however, that some people may have elected to block their IM. This is just a matter of choice.
KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru