Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: I can't bend my knee past 93 degrees after surgery!! Anyone else had/have this??  (Read 4648 times)

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
Hi Everyone!

I am re-posting a message from this morning because, being in a rush (and new member) I didn't have time to preview and notice my font colour was illegible. Thanks again to those who kindly helped me realize this  ;)

I injured my knee playing soccer back in July of '07.  It turns out I sustained a microfracture (of the tibia and something else. Basically the knee bones, but not the patella itself. Sorry, I dont' know much about bones, lol). Anyways, I also had a piece of cartilage break off and travel behind my knee.  This lead to painful swelling as well as whenever I bent my knee and straightened it, I could feel a muscle or ligament or something being pushed out of place and then "popping" back.  I had arthroscopy on October 10th.

Before my surgery I could bend to approximately 110-118 degrees.  After surgery I was only at approx. 70 degrees.  I am now at 93 degrees.  My OS hasn't mentioned anything about M.U.A. (Manipulation under Anesthesia), that process where you're put under and the surgeon forces your knee to bend repeatedly (sounds like fun, lol).

I was just wanting to hear from any others who currently suffer from this condition...called "arthrofibrosis" (abnormal build up of scar tissue in the joint which restricts motion and makes it painful to bend or extend past a certain point).  Is there hope for me? By that I mean continuing with PT and stretches, etc. I HAVE made progress (albeit slow), and my surgeon saw my last on Jan. 3rd and still hasn't mentioned any more surgery.

It's often discouraging. I teach grade 1-3 physical education, so it's hard not being able to run around and squat/sit/play with the kids like I did last year. And I haven't been able to run since July (my quad muscle is still a lot weaker).

Any tips/words of encouragement would be much appreciated! I know that life could be worse, so I do not sit and pity myself. But sometimes I do get very sad because I feel like I'll never pass the 100 degree mark.

Thanks everyone!! I'm so glad there's this bulletin board!!!

~Nevella 

-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
Hi Nevella,  The best section for you to post your question in is here....

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=9.0
Soft Tissue Healing Problems - Arthrofibrosis

You will find alot of information on arthrofibrosis and there are alot of very knowledgeable members too help you.

Best of luck,
Karen
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:41:17 PM by KW »
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Clarinet'09

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Scars are like tatoos...but with better stories!!
    • Padfoot13cl
I know the feeling. I just had a MUA (the surgery your surgeon suggested) yesterday. It hurts but its really nothing compared to a normal surgery. Just uncomfortable. I dont know if its helped as of yet. I have PT to work on getting my range of motion back in a few hours. So ill keep you updated. Im willing to answer any questions you have concerning this or other problems. I dont pretend to be an expert but after 4 knee surgeries in the past 2 years and knee problems since i was 9ish i know a bit about knees. You will find a lot of help and encouragment on this board and wonderful people who will pull you up when youre feeling down. Dont worry. Youll get your ROM back it just takes time.
Im here for you if you need to talk or whatever just PM me!!!
- Chelsea
Chelsea - 17 years old - soccer + band = LIFE
4/29/06  left knee popped followed by intense pain while playing soccer
5/30/06  Bone spur removal
4/20/07  LR right knee
11/19/07 LR left knee
1/16/08  MUA left knee
11/03/08 LR recon, MPFL recon right knee
4/20/09 LR recon, MPFL recon left knee

Offline Army John

• Regular Poster
I think you've experienced what many do during recovery-- a plateau.  You're probably ready to crest the hill, but need a shove to get you over it.  I don't want to question your commitment to therapy, but you just may need to gri your teeth a little bit harder on the ROM exercises.  Or perhaps a few different exerises to change it up.

You didn't say how long you've been at your current ROM.  I know folks who have had MUAs before-- you want to avoid that if at all possible.  It's not the magic bullet.  Even if they get you to 115 degrees on the table, that's a ROM you won't get when they wake you back up, or the epi wears off. 

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 10:37:55 PM by Army John »
L knee meniscal repair- 6/89
L knee scope- 11/95
L knee ACL reconstruction- 2/96
L knee scope (included a lateral release, cartilage biopsy, and the ever fun bone shaving)- 1/08
L knee ACI/TTO- 4/08
L knee scope/manipulation- 7/08

Offline TIBBAR

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • Keep em Guessing?????????????
I HAD BILATERAL TKR AND THEN NEEDED THE MUA TO GET ME GOING AGAIN. I WAS STUCK AT 87 AND 92 FOR MANY WEEKS. NOW I HAVE HAD SOME MORE COMPLICATIONS BUT MY ROM IS NOW 120 AND 115. I NEVER WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THERE W/0 THE MUA. I WAS BACK TO WORK IN 2 DAYS. IF THE OS DOES IT GENTLE IT IS NOT TOO BAD AT ALL.             FROSTY

Offline MartinsGirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Live, love, laugh!!! Life is amazing!!
Thanks everyone!

And Thanks "KW" and others from another room who pointed out that there's an actual "Arthrofibrosis" board on here. So I will  continue my replies there. thanks!!! Wishing everyone a quick recovery :)
-July '07-soccer injury
- microfracture of the tibial plateau
- arthroscopy in Oct. '07 (remove torn cartilage and repair microfracture)
-developed AF but beat it (avoided surgery)
[img width=200 height=136]http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/504/504056crsfyif

support