Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Grade 3 Arthritis - what can I do now to avoid 4  (Read 7656 times)

Offline 94757

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Grade 3 Arthritis - what can I do now to avoid 4
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:36:09 PM »
After 15 months of knee pain, disruption to my daily life and many different opinions I have finally had a scope and the news is not good.  My knee cap is badly damaged and has more or less shredded the cartilage underneath so my surgeon has done a surgical procedure to try and regenerate growth but worse of all he also found that I have grade 3 arthriits in two other areas of my knee.

I am trying to stay positive and am doing the usual stuff - stationery bike - straight leg raises etc but I am really keen to get to my gym as I always feel better mentally when I have been there.  Can anybody advise me what machines would be best - I am thinking of trying seated leg press, leg extension , and seated hamstring curl - all at very very low weight.  I just do not want to limit my exercise to my floor at home - I need to get back to the healthy environment of the gym.

I am told there is no cure for arthritis - is it inevitable that grade 3 becomes grade 4 or what improvement can I expect if I continue with the above.I am now also beginning to feel similar pain in my "good" knee.

Offline Landshark70

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Grade 3 Arthritis - what can I do now to avoid 4
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 06:10:18 PM »
I think you need to ask your OS what kind of activities you can safely do. Without knowing the entire history and the exact procedures that you had done it is hard to even guess. Your OS may limit you to exercises that dont require deep bending to protect the meniscus. As far as the arthritis goes, there is no cure and since it is a degenerative issue unfortunately it will worsen at some time. The pain you are feeling in your other knee could be from overuse while favoring the knee that you had the procedure on. I would imagine your OS would recommend low impact exercises but you should definately speak with him.

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 01:57:56 AM »
Hi,

I also have grade 3 cartilage loss (OA) in the medial compartment of both knees. I had a HTO on the right knee to give me 10-15 years and then I'll probably need a TKA. I had a mosaicplasty on the left knee 2 years ago and am now having problems with it. I see my OS on the 19th to discuss further treatment.  How far along are you post-op and what type of surgery was done?  As was said in the earlier post consult your OS. Also if you have a PT and the gym is ok'd by your OS I would ask the PT for suggestions for a workout that isn't going to put too much stress on your knees. I have returned to the gym about 3 months ago I use the equipment you mentioned all except the leg extension which my PT recommended I not use, I also use 2 other pieces of equipment to strengthen the inner and outer thighs and then do upper body and core strengthening..  I was told that I needed to keep the muscles strong around the knees and that also helps to decrease pain.  I have a stationary bike at home which I try to use every day. I know what your talking about, there is something about going to the gym that helps you mentally. At this time I'm unable to return to my job as a Rehab. nurse and if it wasn't for the gym I would be going crazy. I hope you get the advise you need.

Take care,

Robin
Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision

Offline 94757

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:02:35 AM »
Hi Robin

Thanks for your reply.  I had a microfracture and debridement done. My arthritis is on the medial side and my knee cap is like  a "ploughed field". I had my surgery 9 weeks ago and cannot believe that I have not progressed further.  I am still in a lot of pain as soon as I put weight on my knee and my knee cap is still rubbing against the surface underneath. I actually find standing in one spot for too long puts a lot of pressure on both knees now.  I am told that the recovery time is 4 months so as 9 weeks have already gone by I am worried as to how much more I can progress and what my options will be then. I have a very good surgeon and physio so at least I know I am in good hands.

You are right about the leg extensions - I cannot do them at all but am trying other machines for building up the quads.  How often do you exercise Robin.  I am told the leg raises and other floor exercises should be done at least 3 times a day - at the moment I am only doing them twice daily and going to the gym every 3rd day.  I am doing 12 mins on stationery bike every day.

Good luck with your appointment on 19th - let me know how you get on.
Catherine

Offline Robin M.

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 02:59:29 AM »
Hi Catherine,
I go to the gym 3-4 days a week and attempt to ride the stationary bike everyday for 30 minutes. When I was in PT I also  did the home exercises 3 times a day, at this point I'm not doing those any longer except the stretches which I do a couple times a week. I'm 8 months post-op from a HTO and my knee is still not fully recovered my OS said it can take 1 year to recover. I had been using the treadmill as recommended by OS to help get a more regular gait pattern. Recently I noticed that I was experiencing alot of pain in the back of  the knee and in the calf so I decreased the use of the treadmill to one time a week for 15 minutes and the pain seems to have stopped.  I'm no longer limping and for the most part the leg feels good as long as I get to the gym on a regular basis. I wish the left knee would follow suit, If I don't wear the brace the pain is unbearable by the end of the day.  Hopefully you will continue with a steady improvement. I think we are given a general recovery time by our OS  but you need to take into consideration the muscle weakness and atrophy  that occurs as a result of the injury and then the continuation of that after surgery especially if you need to be non-weight bearing. It's frustrating when your life revolves around your knees!! Think positive thoughts. Thanks for the well wishes for the 19th I'll let you know how the appointment goes.
Robin
Robin

Lt. knee- 6/04 scope and chondroplasty of MFC,11/04 Synvisc injections, 11/05 mosaicplasty, 3/06 scope,LOA and MUA, 1/08 degeneration entire knee, 5/12/08 TKA, 7/21/08 MUA
Rt.knee- 10/06 scope,,plica removal-OA, 3/07 HTO, 9/09 hardware removal  12/7/09 TKA 1/10,3/10 MUA, 11/10 LOA,partial revision