Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Spinal block vs anesthesia  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Miki422

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Spinal block vs anesthesia
« on: September 05, 2007, 01:07:40 PM »
I have to go in for a third surgery on my left knee to hopefully get my knee to moving again after an ACL reconstruction.  My doctor wants me to have a spinal block for the surgery.  I am not all too keen on the idea.  I don't want to hear what they are doing to my knee.  Any advice would be great.  I go in for surgery on the 21 of September.
Thanks in advance for any help

Miki422

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Spinal block vs anesthesia
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 03:15:42 PM »
Maybe he wants to have you under better paincontrol after surgery. Talk with him and make them give you meds so you don't are awake that much that you can hear them. That is possible even when you have spinal. You probably will have appointment with your anasthesiolog before surgery.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Nick 33

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »
Miki

I had this done about a year ago by Dr. Wojtys in Ann Arbor, MI.  And I preferred it over anesthesia it was much easier recovering and if you get to nerveous they can always give you more happy juice in your IV to calm you down.  I had an LOA and I could watch them clean all the scar tissue out with the TV screen at your side, it was pretty neat.  You don't feel a thing nor do you hear any gross sounds of anything else.

Good Luck
Nick 33
09/04 R ACL reconstruction with Med and Lat menisectomy, 12/04 R knee minipulation, 03/05 R knee debridement, Booted out of therapy 5 times lack of improvement, 8/06 R LOA, U of M.  Go Blue!!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 12:37:50 AM »
The one spinal I had was a nightmare. I'd never do it again. I would tell my doctor there was no way. I've had general anesthesia something like 20 times and have never had a problem. Recovery is very quick for me, no nausea and the grogginess wears off in less than an hour.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 01:01:33 AM »
I have had ACLr, 4 debridements and TKA.  I have and always will have a spinal if I have the choice.  You can be as awake or asleep as you want to be.  I have always found it interesting to watch the debridements.  I didn't get to see anything when I had TKA but I was able to listen to the OS.  Recovery from general is a nightmare for me.  Spinals have 2 positives for me...no throwing up and a little more time for pain meds to kick in.

If you have never had a spinal you might want to see how it feels and how you like them.  If you are like most "Kneebies" your surgery days are not over.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 03:33:24 AM »
Hi Miki,
   After 7 or 8 previous surgeries with general anesthesia, I had a spinal with my knee replacement.  I had the same nervous feeling you are having.  I wasn't warned before hand about what type of anesthesia, I just assumed that I'd have general.  I didn't know until an hour before surgery that I'd be having a spinal.  I actually cried because I was so scared.  It really wasn't that bad.  I didn't feel a thing.  They gave me some extra "cocktail" medicine in my IV before it was done.  So I didn't feel anything.  The only problems I had were afterwards I had bathroom problems.  I ended up with a catheter for a few days before the bladder started working again.  I would actually now perfer the spinal over the general.  As long as I had the same stuff to calm me down.  I think the more uptight and tense you are about it the worse it will feel.

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline starpolisher

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 03:53:55 PM »
I prefer a spinal anyday over general anesthesia.  You're very groggy and relaxed.  When I was aware they were doing the procedure and I was awake, I said, Hey, aren't you going to put me under?  They asked, do you want to be?  I said "this isn't so bad."  The anesthesiologist was sitting by my head and there was a tent so I couldn't see what they were doing.  The anesthesiologist was a kind and funny man and I had no stress (and I have a type of panic disorder!).  I hated how general anesthesia made me feel physically but with my type of panic disorder, I am very med sensitive and react badly to many meds.  Maybe that is why the spinal was far more agreeable.  I was very sleepy and suspect I nodded off and on.  I do recall speaking with the doctors but I think I may have dozed for part of it or it was very fast. 

Offline rindsu

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 04:28:38 PM »
The spinal I had wasn't bad at all.  They gave me something anyways in my IV to calm you down a little.  I didn't really want that, I wanted to see what was going on.  I'm weird like that though.  The cool thing about the spinal, is feeling your legs go all warm and fuzzy from your waist down.  Neat!
Who blows out both their knees at once?

Offline starpolisher

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »
rindsu....what I liked was not feeling pain in my legs!

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 05:10:07 PM »
rindsu....what I liked was not feeling pain in my legs!

That's exactly what I hate. Not feeling my legs at all. And not having control over my bladder or anything from the waste down. Everyone is different. I'd rather feel pain than be paralyzed. Others would rather not feel pain. You can't really know what you like best until you've experienced both.

Offline Kris

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My Wonderful Friend--Hobo RIP
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 12:20:53 AM »
I had a question for those that had a spinal.  Some say that you were awake...I had a spinal and only remember waking up in the recovery room.  Why is that?  What's the difference?

Kris
Right  LR on 2/8/02,  7/11/03, and 11/5/05
Left leg LR on 5/02, 4/05
Right achilles tendon lengthened on 2/01.   Synvisc injections on 2/17/03. 
Cortisone on 12/03 and 3/04, 12/05. 
Proximal Reallignment Right 5/23/05
R Microfracture 5/19/06
PFJR 6/20/07

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 01:24:17 AM »
It depends on your drug tolerance and how much other drugs they give you to put you out. Some people go right to sleep. They can't give me enough to put me in the twilight zone without doing a general. I want no part of being awake or aware.

Offline screetch

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 01:55:34 AM »
I had a spinal with twilight drugs during my LOA/MUA. I have no memory except towards the end.... I vividly recall trying to tell the OS how to perform the surgery (thanks to way too much info on these boards! ;) ). It was like being drunk and in a dream at the same time.  My OS was probably the only one who regretted it!
rt knee scope, 1/91
rt knee scope, LR, and fulkerson, 12/19/05
LOA/MUA 3/14/06

Offline Miki422

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 02:49:25 AM »
WOW

Thanks for all the advice - I talked with the OS the other day and he told me that he was going to give me enough "Goof Juice" to make me out of it.  I have a highly sensitive back and have already had two spinals for two C-sections.  The first one wasn't bad - the second one was pure torture when then were putting it in.  I am hoping that they give me enough "Goof Juice" to put me out prior to them putting it in. 

This is a great place to get wonderful information and make one feel as if they are not alone - THANKS to ALL!!

Miki422

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 04:38:32 AM »
I prefer a spinal anyday over general anesthesia.   I hated how general anesthesia made me feel physically but with my type of panic disorder, I am very med sensitive and react badly to many meds.  Maybe that is why the spinal was far more agreeable. 

DITTO
When I had my 1st knee surgery my OS asked me if I would have a spinal.  He said he especially liked the spinal so he could talk to me about what he was seeing and explain what he was doing (arthroscopic) and said that I could watch the monitor if I wanted.  He also wanted me to have a spinal just in case he needed to do something else and he didn't want me to be surprised.  I could be as awake or asleep as I wanted.  I was a little worried the first time.  I asked the "juice man" how quick he could put me under.  He said so fast I wouldn't know what hit me just to tell him when to hit the juice.
I never did.  Remember everyone is different.  What was great for me is horrible for some.

Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

support