Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tendons "popping out of place" > help  (Read 5422 times)

Offline wombosi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tendons "popping out of place" > help
« on: June 29, 2007, 04:15:10 AM »
Hi everyone.
I'm 25, male. Personal Trainer.
I trained hard for about a year, then got Lyme disease, which is a major multi-systemic infection.

Gradually I developed lots of symptoms and haven't trained in about a year.

The most severe things have gone away, but I'm left with what feels like full body tendon problems.

Starting with the knees: the two big hamstring tendons on either side of the knee towards the back both "pop" or "slide" out of place when the knees are flexed beyond about 80 degrees, i.e. squatting. It's lessened to some extend when I externally rotate the tibia.
There is no pain in this area, but occasional knee aches. The right knee routinely snaps when I lift it up and flex fully, without pain. Both kneecaps sort of  pop up a bit w hen the legs are fully extended, again with no pain.

I'm fairly flexible and can easily touch my toes. A few different people have told me that my abductors are too tight relative to my adductors and vastus medialis. I think this is more or less horseshit.
I'm trying to figure out how much of my problem is pathology as opposed to faulty biomechanics or generally training too hard (this I really doubt, since this symptom came about months after no training at all.)

If I lift my right leg and flex and extend, my right hip will pop, no pain. This happens almost every time I do this.

My right elbow has a tendon that also pops out of place. If the forearm is supinated It's on the left side.

Most alarming is my back. When I bend even the slightest bit obliquely, a large area near the spine will pop out of place, or shift over something. I don't know if it's tendon or muscle, looks like erector spinea or a big huge tendon. No pain here, either, but this is very alarming.

Everything else is basically fine, but I am unable to train, which is really putting a damper on my well-being.

I've seen countless physical therapists, MDs, herbalists, homeopaths. Most of it was to be treated for Lyme, but no one seems to have any idea about this tendon issue.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks so much,
Ben

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Tendons "popping out of place" > help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:15:47 AM »
I dont know if this will help you or not but Ill throw in my tuppenceworth.

ALL of my joints pop and crack. My OS says that Im I little hypermobile and a common symptom of it is cracking/popping joints - he says its tendons snapping over bone. Most pops/cracks dont hurt. My hips are most alarming, they sound like gunshot.
I feel and hear the pops/cracks.
This didnt happen when I was younger, its mostly set in as Ive gotten older - my OS said thats pretty normal for cracking joints. The joint surfaces are smoother when you are young and the tendons can 'slide' over more easily, with age the joint surfaces roughen more and the tendons seem to stick a little before 'cracking' into position. He doesnt feel its anything to worry about - so long as it doesnt cause pain.
It happens most often immediately after rest - when I wake up in the morning and stretch it sounds like a barrage of gunfire.

If i were you I would consult an OS to see if there is any reason to worry about this. If it is causing pain it should be investigated. It could be as a result of you not training and not staying as limber as you once were? Or it could be something to do with the Lyme (Im not sure what Lyme is - Im just guessing here).

Ask to be checked for hypermobility - my OS leaped across the desk, grabbed my hand and bent my thumb back til it touched the inside of my wrist - it was a little unexpected to say the least but he looked happy to announce that I was indeed hypermobile to some degree and that this explains all my cracks and pops :)

1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 02:58:10 PM »
Pops and cracks and noises in the joints are of most concern when they are accompanied by pain.  Tendons sliding across bones, or air in the joints can cause them to make noises. I to am a bit hypermobile as it runs in my family, however i've been filled with popping and snapping for most of my life. Hips, shoulders, elbows, ankles, knees... My spine pops and cracks from time to time as well. 
I woudl be most concerned about the stuff that hurts.  You are a personal trainer, so I presume that you know that our bodies are basically controlled entirely by muscles. If your muscles are weak and haven't been worked than joints may not track properly and bones may not be moved exactly as they are meant to.

After something HUGe like Lyme Disease if it's safe for you to do so, I would say start with a gentle exercise program... with no resistance and work on muscle strength and flexability... and see what happens... Take it slow and easy and see if those "tendon" problems don't improve.  When you've been recumbant for such a very long time.. things tend to get stiff and tight... stretch, strengthen and hopefully things will come around for you. I would definately start a program under the care of a sports physical therapist... one that you feel you can work with. 

Goodluck
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 03:00:13 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 03:09:54 PM »
Linds do you think the popping/cracking will just continue painlessly or is it anything to worry about? sometimes my joints ache a little if i cant quite manage to crack them (if im restricted in a cinema seat for example)
I wonder in my more paranoid moments if the docs and physios are just pretending its nothing to worry about :)
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline wombosi

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 03:24:21 PM »
thanks everyone.
like i said, it's less of a joint cracking issue than it is an issue of tendons moving what i feel to be improperly.

the worst thing is the back, it's a huge section that slips out and back. my spine doesn't really crack, but sometimes.

nothing cracked at all before lyme, except a tiny crack in the right knee on long drives when i'd flex it off the pedal.

for those of you in the UK who probably have no idea what lyme disease is, you can thank your lucky stars you don't live in the states.
it's a major epidemic in my neck of the woods, and can easily render you a miserable wreck the rest of your life.

thanks for all the ideas and support.
b

Offline Linds

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • worry about what you can change!
    • Linney and Kitty's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 07:14:25 PM »
Hi Wombosi.. I hope thigns get better for you. I am from Canada, I know all about Lyme disease.

Tanyap, only time will tell for your joints. Mine hurt from time to time but nothing all that serious, at this point.. other than my knees.  I have a hip that dislocates congenitally my mom has the exact same problem with the exact same hip... and my fingers dislocate, and my shoulder kind of pop out of joint. But my knees are the only things that have caused such problems. Try not to be paranoid. Hypermobility dissorders run in a huge range from very serious, Marfans, EDS higher grades... to Benign hypermobility dissorder which... while it's not great isn't all that bad. Achey joints... and that's about it.
Hang in there.
Linney
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 07:17:29 PM by Linds »
1997 Scope RK
2002 LR RK
2002 Scope and hematoma evac RK
2004 LR LK
May 06 Fall from Horse, partial ACL tear and meniscus injury, Tibial plateau injury
2007 Scope, Plica Excision and Debride LK
2009/2010- Possibly Ankylosing Spondylitis?