Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Does Your Knee Still Feel Stiff At Times?  (Read 9487 times)

Offline zengirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Does Your Knee Still Feel Stiff At Times?
« on: June 20, 2007, 08:51:35 PM »
Mine does. When I wake up in the morning I limp for the first 10 steps of so; and if I've been in the car for 15 - 12 minutes I limp when I get out for 10 - 15 steps or so. When is this going to stop?? When will I just wake up one morning and not have to limp?
Feb '03 Ladies badminton, bad fall, detached ACL
May '06 - ACL reconstruction & meniscus repair
Complications - swelling, pain, lack of flexion/extension, 50% graft failure
Jan '07 Arthoscopy, debride, removal of adhesions & 50% of graft
Attempting to rebuild muscles so can continue sport & life

Offline henri

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • goes here
Re: Does Your Knee Still Feel Stiff At Times?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
Hey zengirl,
not sure about this stiffness, as luckily i dont have that. I can only guess it is just something you need to get used to or if you are lucky, it will just take some more time.
I for example dont get stiffness at all luckily. Even after sitting 11 hours in plane in one position etc.
unhappy triad

Offline lost77

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 10:53:47 PM »

Hi Zengirl

Me too.  I get lots of knee stiffness...mainly behind the knee and it is usually worse at the end of the day, after I have been at work.  Not sure what the cause is...swelling I spose.  I think I limp most of the time, despite trying desparately hard not to.  I always take a few tentative steps in the morning when I first get up...just to be sure I'm not going to fall over!

Hope it improves for you matey.

28/02/07 - ACL rupture from skiing accident
19/04/07 - Arthroscopy - bust ACL removed
24/04/08 - ACLr

Offline jennifer_in_clyde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:54:40 AM »
I still limp BADLY for the first several (to many) steps every time I get up - worse the longer I've been sitting or if I've had to have my knee really bent.

Honestly it's also stiff/tight most of the rest of the time too (still get that feeling of a "steel band" around my knee)...I talked to a friend whose 5 years out - she still gets what she calls "cold knee"...which is that stiffness when you first get up. Ugh! I hope it just keeps getting better and better. While I am really glad I had my ACLR there were a LOT of things that my OS did not prepare me for!
May 2006 ruptured right ACL and tore medial meniscus
July 14 2006 allograft ACLR and meniscus repair
July 2011..reinjury - is my ACL okay??
December 2011- surgery - turned out to be a articular cartilage tear - MFX and lateral menisectomy

Offline loz8

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 10:02:07 AM »
I think you may alwys have some stiffness, I am 19months odd post and still get stiffness in the knee after driving, sleeping, sitting still for any length of time etc and of course after a match.
Loz
ACL Tear 2001
ACL Recon Oct 2005

Offline JHTraveller

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:22:36 PM »
It can take a while for the stiffness to go away.  At about 8 months out from my surgery I asked a friend who had knee surgery long ago the same question.  Their response was that it can take over a year for the knee to feel completely normal. Since then my knee has definitely improved over time.  I don't limp any more but the knee sometimes feels a little tighter than my non operated knee.  I expect that over time it will all go away. 

Don't forget that you had work done fairly recently on your knee so I am not surprised that you still experience stiffness in the mornings etc. I would suggest that you stretch your knee daily for ROM.  That helps keep things loosened up.

Cheers,
Jan 1989 Torn ACL(L)
Dec 2005 Complex Tear to Medial Meniscus (L)
Feb 2006 Repaired ACL and Meniscus Trim

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 06:42:32 PM »
My knee isn't stiff, but it is definitely sore when I first get up and move about. Not fun when I'm usually getting up to chase my 3 year old... Anyway, from what I read is that when you are seated at 90 degrees, your quad is actually stressed. I also read that if your muscles are still even a tad atrophied this will happen. Until we are all healed and muscles back to 100% this will be a way of life. I have noticed it get a little better the stronger I get. I am still sore when I wake up in the morning, but definitely a lot better, but it took over a year to even get here....
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline zengirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2007, 04:58:29 PM »
Right, thanks for your reposnses. It may be something that I'll always have now - or it may be something that will go away slowly, gradually over time. I am well over a year post op, and am still exclaiming, "ooof" and slowly stretching my leg into extension after ten minutes of sitting in one position. I envy Henri who can even sit on a  plane without any pain - Yes, you are lucky Henri!  :-)
Feb '03 Ladies badminton, bad fall, detached ACL
May '06 - ACL reconstruction & meniscus repair
Complications - swelling, pain, lack of flexion/extension, 50% graft failure
Jan '07 Arthoscopy, debride, removal of adhesions & 50% of graft
Attempting to rebuild muscles so can continue sport & life

Offline JHTraveller

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
Cut yourself some slack.  You are well over a year from your initial surgery but the stuff you had done in Jan mean that in reality you are more like only about 6 months out. 
Jan 1989 Torn ACL(L)
Dec 2005 Complex Tear to Medial Meniscus (L)
Feb 2006 Repaired ACL and Meniscus Trim

Offline Nola

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 12:40:30 PM »
I agree w JH, I am stiff every day of my life right now but have illusions that some day it won't be! But then again I'm 5 months out from 1st surgery and 3 weeks from 2nd.   :D
Nola

9/24/06 Fall while horseback riding. Ruptured 100% ACL, torn meniscus, MCL (grade I)
2/14/07 ACLr B-PT-B autograft Murcia, Spain
5/25/07 US Arthroscopic LOA, meniscectomy, chondroplasty
www.dominiobuenavista.com My winery!
www.frappr.com/kneegeeks  place where you can map where you live.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2007, 01:48:57 PM »
Now I finallly understand why it takes so long to exit a movie theatre! :P
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline enzo

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 02:15:29 PM »
Hi Zengirl

Do you know if you have scar tissue problems? That was the cause of the stiffness in my knee following my first aclr. I think this is one of the most common reasons for knee stiffness after acl although of course, there can be other explanations, every knee being different.
Following my first aclr in 1995 I had a stiff knee for around 18 months. The rehab was a disaster so I had a follow up arthroscopy 12 months after the initial surgery (to unblock extension). Around 6 months after that, the stiffness had more or less gone. I've read a few of your posts and I think we've had a roughly similar experience in terms of requiring a follow up surgery after the initial aclr.

The problem for me was excess scar tissue was making my knee stiff. The scar tissue blocking extension was not responding to PT so had to be removed surgically. The scar tissue blocking flexion gradually loosened and became more pliable through PT. Eventually I had my full ROM but only when warmed up. Every night or after a car journey etc, the scar tissue would become more solid (or whatever the technical term is) and start to re-attach itself to my knee. I would warm up to break it up in the morning only for it to stiffen up again at night (bloody annoying!)  Eventually this stopped happening and the scar tissue no longer stiffened up at night. I think the only options with scar tissue are either to hope that eventually it will remain permanently pliable, causing minimal knee stiffness  or else to have it surgically removed. It doesn't go away by itself. Presumably the scar tissue is still in my knee but fortuneately it doesn't stiffen up anymore and doesn't seem to have affected my 2nd aclr.

So, in answer to your question, I had 18 months of knee stiffness after the initial aclr, the reason in my case being scar tissue.

enzo
1994 torn acl + meniscus, football
1995 arthroscopy: part meniscusectomy
1995 aclr patella; rehab fails due to ROM
1996 arthroscopy: removal of cyclops lesion; graft failure
1997 to 2002: OS refuses to do a 2nd aclr
2003 to 2006: I refuse to have a 2nd aclr
2007: aclr hamstring
2008: football?

Offline feeny

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »
I havent had stiff-knee for an age.

BUT

I was just snowboarding for the past few days, and the resort I went to has no support bar for one's snowboard when riding back up the lift.
This means that my board was hanging off my leg, with the knee bent across the chair, for 10 odd minutes at a time, swaying in the wind at a wierd angle.

By the time I got to the top of the lift, on several runs, my knee could only be described as wooden - I would need to rub at it and get the blood flowing again before I went back down.

Then again, I think my other knee would have felt wooden given this treatment too.

Giving it a good rub helped me out every time. Does it help all you other stiffies?
Sep-05 ACL rupture, Medial mensical tear, MCL rupture
Oct-05 Had it all repaired (hamstring graft, meniscal rivet)
-and then-
4.5 Months post-op Snowboarding like a demon
7 Months post-op Successful return to indoor soccer (YEH!)

Offline Charliemouse

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 11:13:50 AM »
Yep still can't sit or lay in some positions for more than a couple of mins, as it will start to ache. Also get random stiff days which are a pain, it just seems to ache for no good reason. I do leg raises every so often while at work (out of habit, as I tend to sit still for far too long) but still take the first couple of steps slowly and carefully.
18/06/05 Injured trampolining
Fixed Flexion 20-90 deg until...
01/09/05 lateral meniscectomy (40%)
09/06/06 Patella tendon aclr
09/09/06 Back on the tramp (carefully)
10/09 Still can't quite get heel to bum but it's not really an issue.
!!Stop twisting when you land or it hurts!!

Offline scoffs

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 12:21:21 PM »
My knee felt stiff for ages after my ACL recon,  it went on for ages, well over a year after the op.  Now after my PLC recon I am very stiff if I sit in one position for a while.  When i've been sitting for ages I get up and hobble around for a while until I can get it to loosen up.  This happens regardless of my leg position, either straight (takes a while to unstiffen to bend) and bent (I hardly sit like this as it is not comfy) takes a while to get staight again.

Hope this helps.
ACL Recon (Hamstring) May 03
PLC Recon (Donor) Sept 06
Ran London Marathon :-) April 09