Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: 16 weeks - bruising behind knee  (Read 1545 times)

Offline jbheyman

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
16 weeks - bruising behind knee
« on: May 21, 2007, 01:36:55 AM »
Hi all. I'm at about 16 weeks post-ACLR and the recovery has been pretty typical I guess. I have noticed one weird thing though, and was curious if any others had this. Sometime maybe 6-8 weeks ago, my PT pointed out that I had a little bit of bruising on the back of my knee, right in the crease of the knee, towards the right (outside). It wasn't the slightest bit tender, and I thought maybe it was related to the compression sleeve that I had been wearing. The bruising really never went away, and still doesn't hurt at all. I stopped wearing the sleeve about 2 weeks ago to see if that made a difference, and it hasn't. I have a call in to my OS and will see if he has any thoughts.

Has anyone experienced this type of non-painful bruising this late in their recovery? Obviously, I was accustomed to all sorts of coloration early on, but at this point, I'm not quite sure if that's normal. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

Offline Hamish9

• Forum Faithful
Re: 16 weeks - bruising behind knee
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I have much the same bruising. I think it will be permanant and is discolouration of the skin from the initial bruising rather than continued bruising. Likewise there is no pain associated with it and it doesn't bother me.

Hamish
Broke fibula and dislocated knee rugby training
Fibula repair and Posterolateral Corner reconstruction Sept 06
Footdrop
ACL reconstruction Feb 07

Offline Nola

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:30:09 PM »
Are you sure it is bruising?  The natural pathology of a bruise is to eventually reabsorb into the surrounding tissue.  Has it changed colors yet?  Could it rather possibly be varicosities from the sleeve you have been using?  Just wondering!
Nola

9/24/06 Fall while horseback riding. Ruptured 100% ACL, torn meniscus, MCL (grade I)
2/14/07 ACLr B-PT-B autograft Murcia, Spain
5/25/07 US Arthroscopic LOA, meniscectomy, chondroplasty
www.dominiobuenavista.com My winery!
www.frappr.com/kneegeeks  place where you can map where you live.

Offline Annika

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
5 weeks post op - and I am getting what looks like discoloration in an interspersed band below the knee. Very different from the last dark dredges of op bruising - I think I have what Nola is talking about - I had it many years ago after another op and it took years to fade away. :(
ACL bust 3/3/07 France skiing
ACLr 17/4/07 France
UK & Sweden for May & June 07 rehabbing
Full extension at around 3 1/2 months
First heel to bum at just under 5 months