Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Losee procedure and ACL reconstruction after Fulkerson?  (Read 754 times)

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Losee procedure and ACL reconstruction after Fulkerson?
« on: May 16, 2007, 06:59:48 AM »
Hi. I've had a lateral release done on both knees in 2000, a fulkerson osteotomy with total tendon transplant on both knees, and now they want to do a Losee procedure/ACL reconstruction for ACL deficiency/rotatory problems/eccentric popliteal firing.  Having this problem in both legs.  The doctor that wants to do the surgery was the one that updated the losee procedure (Dr. John Albright), so I am not worried about his qualifications for the surgery, but I am worried about my ability to withstand another. I have had issues with RSD in one of my legs following surgery, stress risers, fractures at the screw sites, and went from what was supposed to be a 12 week recovery per leg to being off of work for a year.  The original surgeries were to fix recurrent patella dislocations in both legs.  It seems as if I get one surgery done to develop new problems.  The patella isn't dislocating now (yay), but I'm now subluxing at the tibial plateau, which I know I wasn't before. He currently has me on a hamstring strengthening program to get me prepared for surgery... but, is there a time to give up on surgery and just say enough is enough? I have 4 kids. I'm trying to decide what is best in their interest, if this surgery could really help me live a normal active life with them, or if I am just going thru another surgery to put me 2 steps back again?  I feel like I am always going to wonder if the next surgery will be the one that opens up more doors or shuts them.  I really need some advice from people who know what I am talking about.  This isn't incessant whining, is it?
Recurring dislocating patellae, chondromalacia, PFS, LR Jan 2000, LR Mar 2000, bilateral Fulkersons w/medial patellar tendon transplants 2005, RSD, hypersensitivity, stress fracture, loose bone fragment from fulkerson 2006, rotatory instability, acl defieciency

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
Re: Losee procedure and ACL reconstruction after Fulkerson?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:03:48 AM »
Would anyone that has had a Fulkerson ever go through another surgery afterward? Or have you? How have your results been?
Recurring dislocating patellae, chondromalacia, PFS, LR Jan 2000, LR Mar 2000, bilateral Fulkersons w/medial patellar tendon transplants 2005, RSD, hypersensitivity, stress fracture, loose bone fragment from fulkerson 2006, rotatory instability, acl defieciency

Offline Sandy_F

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 12:33:36 PM »
Actually I had a Marquet procedure and followed it 5 years later with a patellectomy and 5 years after that with a TKR.  So yes I went on to other surgeries that were major looking to be active again.  The surgery I regret is the patellectomy.  In hindsight, I would never do that one because of the long term ramifications.  But with the multiple surgeries and the help of an excellent PT I am doing quite well.  Not great but by now I am not sure I would even be walking.  So I am quite please with myself. 

It really is what you personally want to go thru and what you think you will get out of the surgery.  If you have a good team in place and think you can physically and emotionally weather the storm then maybe you need to go for it.  But you  need to have everyone on board with your decison.  Its a hard decision and only you can make it. 
Right knee - 14 surgeries including a fulkerson, patellectomy and finally a TKR.  Left knee - Lateral release, microfracture, TKR, then another LR, spacer replacement.

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:48:22 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it!

Offline ATsoccergirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Practice safe sports, use an athletic trainer
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »
You will have one of the best surgical teams in the country behind you, even so this is a very hard surgery.  The strengthening is extremely important before surgery.  I worked with a PT everyday for 3 months before surgery to get ready and it did really help.  Is the program he gave you general hamstring strengthening or the reflex control program?

If you are having doubts sit down with Dr. Albright and express them to him.  He is a great guy and will be able to objectively present you with options.  This type of surgery can really wear you because of the extended recovery period.
1999 LR, 2002 ACL/PLC recon, reversal of LR, 2004 ACL revision, 2006 Car accident torn PCL and small fractures resulting in bone chips in my knee.  Torn MCL 3 times.  Wicked screws under IT band and Pes Anserine.  June 2008-Hip Arthroscopy.

Offline kraizeemom

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
So far it has just been mostly a general hamstring program, but also, I have had to work on balance and general quad strengthening.  With all the p.t. that I have undergone, I have had some of the most terrible shin pain.  That has actually made it very difficult to work, or even walk very much.  I go to see Dr. Albright tomorrow because of this.  They told me that I should be on my crutches if it is hurting me that much, but if I take off work, I lose my position.  I can't afford to do that until I am able to save back enough to get me through the time it would take to recover from another surgery.  I have to work to support my family of 6!
The p.t. program that Dr. Albright had me on I have just been discharged from, as they said that the order was only for 3 weeks, which it was not.  It was for 3x a week, and something got screwy, so this is yet another thing that I have to get straightened out tomorrow.
Will keep you posted!