Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Slowest recovery ever..  (Read 1136 times)

Offline jessie23

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Slowest recovery ever..
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:27:17 AM »
I am 4 weeks post op from aclr and muscle repair, I definitaly feel like i have the slowest recovery.  I can only get to about 40 degrees ROM, which is up from 20 and week ago..YAY.  I am no where near getting all the way around on the bike  :-[  What did everyone else do to keep from getting frustrated? Its hard going from running 10 miles a day to doing nothing. 

It seems like no matter how much anti-inflammotries i take and RICE, I can't get the swelling down.  Its about the same size as it was the day after surgery.grrr.  Is there anything else out there that could be of some help ?

Thanx,
jessie
Feb 9 2007 Tore acl and knee capsule skiing
March 22 2007 ACLR patella tendon and capsule repair
July 5 2007 MUA
Oct 2007 awaiting OS decision on drop out knee cast to regain 15 degrees loss of extentsion, about 130 degrees of flexion

Offline jb-knee-geek

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Re: Slowest recovery ever..
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:18:09 AM »
What is muscle repair? I'd ask your OS if your swelling is normal, 4 weeks should see some improvement.

Keep up the RICE, but talk to your OS about it.
torn RK ACL March 2001, surgery Aug. 14 2006, after 4 knee sprains since Oct. '05.  Allograft, ~40% medial meniscus removed, some wear in the trochlear groove. Everything else looks good.

Post-op diary: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29749.

trainwreck

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:09:28 AM »
I agree you should speak to your OS about that swelling. It sounds unusual.  Try to focus on the things you have accomplished and not where you think you should be.  I am sure you are doing everything you can and that is all you can ask from yourself.  There is no recipe to follow on recovery.  Our bodies will set the pace and you must be in tune with this. Absolutely you should push yourself but not injure yourself.
Cut yourself some slack and try really hard to focus on the positive. I know that is alot easier said than done but I find it does help.  All I can do is my best I can't ask anymore of my body than that.  I often don't agree with its timeline but it is what it is.
I am sure you are doing a great job but talk to you OS it will relive your mind.
Good Luck and be good to yourself.
Allison

Offline maile433

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • My goal is to be the person my dog thinks I am.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 05:18:08 AM »
Jessie,

Were you presribed a CPM machine after the surgery?  Motion should help out a bit with the swelling.  In order to get your leg all the way around on the bike you'll need about 110 degrees, but just sitting on the bike and just rocking the bad leg back and forth (you can use your good leg to push the pedal) can also help with motion. 

I do agree with the others though - check in with your OS.  In the meantime, hang in there! 

Sarah
7/03 RK medial meniscus repair & partial lateral meniscectomy
2/04 RK partial medial meniscectomy & microfracture
1/05 RK medial & lateral partial meniscectomy & microfracture
8/06 RK OATS autograft LFC + LR

Offline sazzle1

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:38:52 AM »
Once you have checked out the swelling to make sure all is well, You could raise the seat on the bike, this produces less of a tight angle to deal with. I did this as I was a bit pathetic on the bike for a while. At least i 'thought' id made progress, and little by little take the seat down again. It might work for you, worth a try. But It sounds like your swelling is a bit excessive, this will deffinatly interfere with your ROM so you should ask about it at PT or your OS if possible. What is muscle repair? sazzle1

Offline jessie23

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Thanks for all your replies!  The muscle repair was done on the capsule that surrounds the knee, he just tightened and fixed the muscles that got torn with the injury.   The one thing that definately would have helped is a CPM machine. I definately wish I would had have one, even in the hospital I didn't use one.  I see my OS today so i'm definately going to check with him about the swelling...  I guess all I can do is continue to work around on the bike to get it around..I'm definately going to try moving the seat around as you suggested.

Thanks again!!!  :)
jessie
July 5 2007 MUA
Oct 2007 awaiting OS decision on drop out knee cast to regain 15 degrees loss of extentsion, about 130 degrees of flexion

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 01:52:07 PM »
That muscle repair is an unusual complication of ACL reconstruction.  That being the case, you should not compare your recovery with anyone else's.  You have an extra thing to deal with.  Keep at those ROM exercises....    when icing, do you have compression and elevation?  The cryocuff provides the cold and the compression, but you want the knee above the heart.  Also, the "pulsing" of emtying and filling the cuff helps the fluid move out of the knee.  There is a world of difference using a cuff type device vs.  slapping a bag of peas onto your knee.   Good luck.
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline jessie23

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 12:30:25 AM »
Well, I saw the OS this afternoon and came out with some good news and bad news.  He was suprised that I have pretty much full extension, he said people usually get ROM then full extension.   He said the swelling should subsided more once i get the knee moving more.  I see him in a month, he mentioned if i can't get it bent on my own then he would do MUA.  I have my fingers crossed that I get it bending on my own.  I finally got the brace off that was a celebration....YAYA.  I have had an immbolizer and hinge brace since the injury ( 3 months now). 
Time to get back to more excersises.

Jessie
July 5 2007 MUA

trainwreck

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:49:51 AM »
Glad to hear your good news.  Hopefully that makes you feel encouraged.  I saw my OS for my first post-op today and she chewed me out for being so swolllen. She said all looks good rom is fine for now but swelling is an issue.  I must ice, ice, ice, and elevate.  She said I am pushing myself too hard.
I only mention that because your swelling will also affect your healing.  We must listen to our bodies they will tell us what we need. (Holy Crap I sound like a nut job).  Your knee will set your limits.
Patience.
Glad you got good news and got to ditch the brace.  That is my next goal.
Chin up
Allison

Offline jessie23

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:56:25 AM »
Allison,
You do sound like a nut job...hehehe..but you are absoutely right!  Its weird how one OS thinks being to swollen is an issue and another is more lax about it.  How long before you can dtich your brace?  it is a glorious day not to have a brace on. My leg is probably wondering what is going on.  I hope your resting and not pushing yourself to hard...Take care. 

Jessie
July 5 2007 MUA