Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?  (Read 98938 times)

Offline GJJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
Re: How long do the effects of a cortisone injection last?
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
If your afraid, then try HA.  Euflexxa works the best for me.  Different molecular makeup and not animal produce. 

The effect depends on a number of factors.  I can get up to 4 months if I'm good. (ex ultra runner).  Depends on what is really wrong with the knee as well.  I don't think they work very well for meniscus but we all different on pain levels.

It is scary but they have been helpful to me and until they don't work, then I will continue until there is non invasive options rather then these scarring surgery procedures that have very low success rates (you must do your homework).

GJJ

Offline Lisa-marie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2009, 10:00:33 PM »

Hi there, My Names Lisa & I am new on the board, juss some quick info I am 36 and had pretty bad knees all my life from soccer, I played since I was 6 till my college yrs. back in 1998 1999 my right one was super bad  & I took glucosamine and msm and it started getting better nd I stopped working out pretty much. an occasional walk but no high impact stuff. for the last 9 yrs they have been ok. till in january i slipped nd a few weeks later had knee pain, idk if it was from the slip..I caught my fall..that caused it, becuz we redid our kitchen back then also nd I did alottttt of bending..long story short, The pain got worse and worse in my left knee nd then my right one. so. I went the OS and he did xray and it should my knee was off to the left nd not centered which  I know I had all along. anyhow I had 2 bilateral mris nd it showsed my left (worse) knee had an irregularity in the Plica but in a Normal area, nd he said its slight. so..why would it cause SO much pain?? Now my right one had mild arthritus, erosion, cartilage irregularity but no tears. nd my left one w/ not much Killsssssss me. so I am due for a cortisone my FIRST one ever this tuesday. so I am wondering if anyone things it is worth it? its been really bad all of march-april nd now may...so I guess i will try it...I have doing my quads isometrics a few times a week..but it just hurts the next day so bad..when i sit also they kill my knees...Ughhh its so annoying as u all know.. Thanks for listeing..
                                                          Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
                                                             Lisa_marie ;)

Offline GJJ

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2009, 09:13:09 PM »
Lisa,

Try some kind of HA first.  If that does not help, then cortisone.  These do not fix the problems tho, they will buy you time until you decide what you can do.  If you can hold out, stem cell therapies are starting to make progress.  I think any surgery is just a temp fix as well and sometimes makes things worst.  Try non invasive measures and hope for new procedures.  You need to find out what actually is the problem.  No guessing or assuming.  If your doc does not know, seek out another one until your sure.  The shots don't hurt if they are done right. 

Good luck.

Offline Lisa-marie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2009, 09:52:45 PM »

Hi there & thanx for the reply I am all anxious as I am suppose to get the shot 2morrow at 12 noon..;( yikes. lol but what is HA? nd the problem he said in the Worse of the two is the Plica is showing on the MRI a slight irregularity in a Normal area. that is all that showed on the Mri for that specific knee which is the worse..I Do however have a mal alighnment sp? problem where my knee goes more to the left and isnt centered like it should aka PFS or runners knee..but he doesnt seem to think the plica is due to that ..??? but want me doing home therapy for my Quads which I have been..nd really dont work juss toning my thighs more LOL ;) oh my..ok can You please let me know what HA is???
                               && Thanks so much for the reply..
                                                      Lisa~

Offline achybrakeyknees

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »
I got a cortisone injection three weeks ago.  It worked great.  A week later i started my symvisc injections and they were very helpful.  I had two symvisc injections so far and Im 90% recovered, which Im happy with.   Hoping too, that these last awhile as I was nearly unable to walk at all prior to the injections.   Only one knee got the cortisone and its doing better than the one that didn't.  I don't know why he only chose to do one, I wish he had done both.   
Lisa

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
  • Knee pain go away never come back again!
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
I also had my cortisone injection 3 weeks ago but it not worked for me as I still get pain and discomfort in my right knee and they do say it works for some while it does not work for others and seem to be the unlucky one and has not helped. I feel mainly catching/pinching on lateral side of knee followed by sharp pain and my OS injected the area that I feel the pain and catching/pinching but its not reduced the pain in an way and catching/pinching still the same.

I was hoping it would help so I would not have the propect of my 1st every surgery which looks likely now as all conservative methods are not helping out my right knee. I hope to see my OS Mr Green again in June as he has been fantastic so far and could not ask for a better OS.

Nick :) {2009} :)   
RK: PFS/AF & Maltracking
18/07/14 Anterior interval release (AIR) 
05/09/13 Botox injection into tensor fascia lata
25/01/13 Heavy fall
30/03/10 Cortisone injection into medial side
16/11/09 Medial plica excision & fat pad trim
23/04/09 Cortisone injection into lateral side
19/10/07 Heavy fall

Offline Julie42

• Regular Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
hi

I had a cortisone injection in March didn't work at all my specislist wants me to have another one the end of June. If this doesn't work he told me all he can do for me is a TKR on my left knee but he doesn't want to do a replacement because I am only 42.  :-[

Here's hoping

Julie  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:38:35 PM by Julie42 »

Offline lady

• Forum Faithful
  • live well laugh often love much and play hard
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 01:52:51 AM »
Julie,

Have you tried Hylan injections (synvizc, orthorvisc)? Ask your doc about them. Or look them up on this website and also google Synvisc.

dislocated patella and chopped off most of chondal 1985
chondroplasty/medial meniscus repair 1996
ACI  quater size defect-surgery failure
lateral meniscus repair2002
chondroplasty, lateral Meniscectomy2006
synvisc & orthovisc injections 2008/2009
drained and cortizone injection 2008

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 12:00:03 PM »
One I can tell you a TKR is a wonderful thing if you have no place else to go but up.  I had my right one done at  36.  It was a nightmare. My left knee I had my last cortizone injection on March 4 along with my HA shots.  I am never quiet pain free but it is a pain level that I can tolerate with the help of pain medication.  You never just want to replace a body part until you hit rock bottom. While the TKR takes away all the bone pain..  There are small trade offs. 

I was on crutches for a year before I had my TKR.  Very far different experience with my left knee.  Which I can tolerate weight bearing and doing small amounts of walking with out getting into what I call Insane pain moments. 

A good rule of thumb is when every movement is a struggle.  You may think you can tuff it out but when life becomes an utter struggle.  Thats when I think the TKR is the only option left.  Well that is my bench mark for doing knee #2. 

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 04:00:57 PM »
A year ago today I had a cortisone injection into the lateral side of my right knee and had my 2nd one on the 30th March 2010 on the medial side of my right knee. I had surgery in November 2009 and knee is feeling worse now then it was pre op. The injection I had last month has not really eased the knee pain and I still feel pain and tightness towards the bottom of the knee on medial side each time I try to squat or kneel down.

This year is going like it did last year had pain and swelling this time last year and had a cortisone injection. 11 months lator another injection and its not really helped. I just hope its not scar tissue causing the pain and swelling as the last thing I need is another scope, which happened last year after injection failed and ended up having my medial plica removed and fat pad trimmed.

Nick :) {2010} :)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:14:34 PM by Clarkey »
25/01/13 Heavy fall
19/10/07 Heavy fall

Offline elizabethb

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
Cortisone injections are sort of an "iffy thing".  My mother had her first one years ago and it gave her relief for several years.  I had them in both knees last year - got a few weeks relief the first time.  Almost no relief the second round.  Then I went to the supartz injections.  They were the most painful thing I have ever experience and they did no good.  In fact they made my right knee much worse.  I guess my knees were too far gone to get relieve from either injections.  Some people swear by them and say they get relief for mionths or years - others feel they are a miracle. 

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 04:40:32 PM »
Hi elizabethb,

My mum also had a cortisone injection in her knee and it worked for her and lasted for a few years while for others it does not work at all. Also know it not good to have too many injections in the knee as you have found out with the supartz injections. Sorry it made your knee worse rather then better.

25/01/13 Heavy fall
19/10/07 Heavy fall

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2010, 04:28:30 PM »
I had a cortisone injection into my right knee on the 30th March 2010 and the last few days my right knee is hurting more again around the tibia. Was like this before my injection, so is it normal for the injection to only last 3 months and starts to wear off after a certain period of time!

I am going back to see my OS on the 29th June, so see what he got to say about it.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 07:00:39 PM by Clarkey »
25/01/13 Heavy fall
19/10/07 Heavy fall

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2010, 05:21:53 PM »
Hi Nick

Sorry you're getting some more aches. I think cortisones can vary between people, some people only get relief for two weeks, some for six months, some not at all. I know that for me, when I've had steroids for hay fever (Kenalog - a shot into the glute) that works for about 3 months. During this time (currently!) my knees also settle right down. I would imagine that a direct joint injection may be similar for some people.

I'm very tempted to try a direct cortisone into the knee when this general one wears off. I know they aren't great for your joints long term or used frequently, but neither is being in pain.  :-[ :'(

Hope the OS sheds some light on things on the 29th. Will you see Mr Green do you think?

Lottie  :)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
Hi Lottie,

I have given up seeing my physio as he was ment to see me this week before my OS appointment and told him last week I could see him this week but have a feeling he wont contact me so wont contact him and find a physio more local if the NHS physio is not very good.

I suppose I could ring up the hospital and asked them if I could see Mr Green or would that be too cheeky. I want his opinion this time as the surgery has not benefited my knee, just made even more problems.

I have been told as well that too many cortisone injections in the knee is not very good for the knee but surgery would be much worse so an injection is less drastic. Less then a week now till my appointment and hope its not a waste of time and will know whats causing my knee problems.

25/01/13 Heavy fall
19/10/07 Heavy fall

support