Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Osteochondral fracture, trochlear groove  (Read 1747 times)

Offline texredbird

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Osteochondral fracture, trochlear groove
« on: April 10, 2007, 04:27:02 AM »
Hi, I posted my problem in another room, but I think this may be where I need to post.  Over a year ago, I suffered a chondral fracture to the trochlear groove.  I have done PT three times, no relief or improvement. It has taken over my life.  The first OS said I needed a patellofemoral joint replacement, as the defect is too large for oats or cartecel.  I can tell by looking at the pics from the scope that it is not bone on bone... just a long crack in the chondral tissue that does go through to the bone... but it is a fracture, not erosive or flaked away type injury.  I am in near continuous pain, ranging from a 5 to a 9 on the pain scale, mostly after a days work and at night.  I saw a second OS today and he says that I dont' need to do anything other than to lose weight and take anti-inflammatory meds, I explained to him that due to a long history of gastric ulcers that I cannot take them.  He then said "lose weight and just deal with it".  He went on to say that the surgery would in fact make matters worse and that he wouldn't do it.  I was overweight when the injury occurred, and wasn't in any pain prior to the injury.  I am so confused.  I don't know who is right?  Is a PFR ever done when the defect isn't bone on bone and if not, what is causing all this pain?  and how or what can I do to "deal" with it?  Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.  I want my life back, I want to sleep again, I want to be able to enjoy my kids and grandkids.  I am a 45 year old female with a full time job.  (on the job injury) I have not missed work due to complete dedication to my job, not because I wasn't or am not in pain.  There have been several occasions that I considered a trip to the er for pain relief.  Am I just a sissy?  Please offer me any advise or help.  Thanks, Robin