Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Synvisc..what to expect????  (Read 5827 times)

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Synvisc..what to expect????
« on: March 22, 2007, 03:42:49 AM »
Hi, I 'm getting synvisc injections in 2 weeks...what should I expect regarding pain during injection...?..any swelling....?pain afterward...? ....etc.......!

Hilde

??? :o ;D
born with bad knee
83 patella ligament pierced by iceicle
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance
patellar & quad tendontis
05 LR, bonespur removal, general clean out, stage 4 OA
oct 06 illiophoas release( hip ok) but knee still bad...

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
Re: Synvisc..what to expect????
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 03:50:26 AM »
You can expect a joilting pain unless you can do Lamaze breathing, then you will be OK.

Any time I have anything inserted into my knee it has taken at least a day of wondering " What have I done to myself?

I would say by 2 days you will be over the hump and will be on the path to "boy am I glad I did this".

Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline DeniseC

• Regular Poster
  • Life is good.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 06:54:37 AM »
Hi - I had Hyalgen injections in both knees, a series of 5, 2cc in each knee each time.  I'm making the assumption that Synvisc will be similar in the experience but if not someone will chime in and correct this assumption.  It mostly felt very weird to feel the substance going into the joint - it wasn't terribly painful but it freaked me out!  The needle stick was inconsequential.  I took a tranquilizer prior to each appointment or I don't think I could've got myself to sit still - not bec. of the pain but bec. of the fact someone was sticking a needle into my joint!  Yikes!  It helped if the MD talked to me through the process, which took maybe 8 seconds on each knee.  What can I say?  I'm a wienie.  There was a little swelling immediately afterward, but I could walk with some stiffness, once I stopped being lightheaded from the experience of it all.  It mostly felt like kind of a bruise that night with some achiness but not bad.  The next day I was pretty much back to normal.  I had one series with immediate improvement each week, that lasted maybe 3 months.  I'm going to have another series later this summer to be timed just prior to going on a vacation so maybe I can get around a little better and enjoy myself.  You'll be ok!
1/2005 first meniscectomy
6/2005 second one
severe osteoarthritis both knees
10/06 Hyalgen injection series
8/07 Synvisc injections
Pain meds, exercise, massage!
2/27/08 bilateral TKR's plus a bonus emergency arterial graft
5/14/08 doing better, ROM R124 and L138!

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 06:55:52 AM »
Well,  I feel the worry of what it will feel like is worse than the shot itself.  Just look away...

Pain wise.. .. If you lived threw a dental visit you will live through a knee injection.  Fear of the unknown gets ya the first time.

If you feel brave this is what really happens with Orthovisc  and only 3 shots of torture ummm pain reduction .. Which is a higher density product than synvisc or hylagen. ( scroll down)   

When the OS starts to inject he will mark the spot..  Spray some numb stuff onto your knee on the lateral side.  Than You get an injection that just numbs your knee up.. Than while you are looking away.. he unscrews the tip of the needle while in your knee.. and why get two needles inserted.  ( this is why you don't look if you are squemish. )   and than he screws on the syringe of the viscosupplement and squishes it in.  You might bleed after he takes the needle out but he puts cotton on the spot.  And on the Third and final shot of Orthovisc.  I got a cortizone shot

If you had blood drawn ..maybe you might feel that kinda pressure when the needle is inserted.  And you know if they take more than one vial they keep that needle in your arm ...

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:02:35 AM by knee deep in Goo »

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:01:20 PM »
Thanks a bunch...I am not squimish...I find it rather interesting...would have liked to be awake during my surgeries, but no....as for  pain tolerance I guess I'm good too...had two babies with no drugs(lamaze breathing...well)...but then again that's different...when my hamstring ripped  I about passed out from the  pain....I also don't like the numming sensation....like when they num your skin before putting in an iv...I usually say no thanks...but yeah, I guess antisipation is the worst....can't be any worse than I'm feeling these days...my knee is squiking and burning and I can get through the exersizes I need to build more muscle...frustarting...now...will the injections help.....??..you all had good result I take it???..planning to take it easy with my ballet classes for the month or so.....but after that.....

Hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »
They always worked for me.. I would usually start having that winter OS pain in Nov or Dec so I just anticipated the need and had the series of injections in Oct.  It does take a few weeks for the meds to kick in full strength.

I had the shots for 2 years and was planning to have another series this last winter, but I had TKA.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 01:40:11 AM »
So the injections really last?....you're really painfree for 3-6 months?....what about stairclimbing....?...running?..not that I would run....haven't been able to do that in years..

L.Thomas...how many years..or how many times did have injections before you had tka...I am stage 4 oa lateral , stage 2-3 patella...medial...ok ..kind of.....

Knee deep...you had tka too right??..how long did you last..??

I was told to not dance or do anything physical after the injection...next day would be ok...what do you guys say??

Hilde
 ???
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 01:44:10 AM by misshilde »
born with bad knee
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

Offline lozzie

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 01:56:52 AM »
Hi Hilde,

I've had 4 hyalgen injections in one knee and am just lining up for 3 in the other. I felt a bit of pain, but nothing to write home about, but I've been a yoga practitioner for 7 years and used breathing techniques to help. I also have a high pain threshold.

I'm a teacher, and I've been told not to have my injections before teaching.

They're well worth it though, they've made my recovery great!

Lozzie.
Aug '06 Right knee LR and chondroplasty
Feb '07 Left knee LR and chondroplasty

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 02:17:30 AM »
ummm.. Well my knee was totally messed up and I had alot of ice pick type pain prior to the injections.  It took down pain levels .. But my knee joint collapsed on the medial side and I had sever OA in all three compartments of my right knee.

So even before doing the injections  I knew it was going to be a Bandaid and knew that for someone my age it was one of those .. steps I had to take to see if something would help with the pain.

Right after I woke up from my Scope they told me I would need a TKR.  So it was at least six months to recover from that and than mentally prepare myself for another surgery. The injections did help get me off crutches for a period of like three months.. while I wore an unloader brace.    While it didnt take all the pain away.. It took away the vibrating ice pick moments and lowered it down..   So when my OS wanted to start these injections .. we'd looked at it as a positive step to take and as I followed up with him every month it seemed there came a point where there was change in roles to say that the  chronic pain is not making my patient mobile.

Now as for my left knee ..  At the time of my TKR he told me I had about five years or so on my left knee and he said there is no value to even scoping the knee at all. I am looking at a future knee replacement for lefty .   When I walk up stairs I feel the pain in that knee and  I have agreed to be patient and see if the pain level subsides and if it does not in June or so my OS would be willing to start thinking about the injections for me.  While the pain is not as great as the right knee. I know it there is an uncomfortable feeling about it.. that the shot may be able to help.  The joint space is narrow on that knee but even. So I do have some shock absorbing cartldige left in it and feel right now It is years away from replacement but if there is something that can help with that uncomfortable pain..  I would go for it in a heart beat ..

I think it is important that you take into consideration how bad your  knee is and be open minded that it is a step you try before going into something major.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 02:46:30 AM »
So the injections really last?....you're really painfree for 3-6 months?....what about stairclimbing....?...running?..not that I would run....haven't been able to do that in years..

L.Thomas...how many years..or how many times did have injections before you had tka...I am stage 4 oa lateral , stage 2-3 patella...medial...ok ..kind of.....

Knee deep...you had tka too right??..how long did you last..??

I was told to not dance or do anything physical after the injection...next day would be ok...what do you guys say??

Hilde
 ???

I had synvic in 04 05 and I was going to have them again in 06 but I had the TKA.† My knee literally fell apart in 6 weeks. They really did help me.† I was more concerned with being able to sleep and walk in the cold winter months.† It took probably 4-6 weeks for it to kick in full strength.† My OS said they didn't know exactly how they worked but I should be able to tell after the 2nd shot if it was going to work.† I could tell a difference (not shockingly different) by the second week.

I don't remember him telling me to take it easy for a day but he might have.† It makes good sense though.† It would probably be a good idea to keep things calm for a day or so.† I do think I had some swelling but my knee always looks swollen.

Just like Goo, I was buying time.† Of course OS had been telling me that for at least 3 years..."ready for a TKA...not yet"

I am beginnig to think if you have had a good knee and a bad knee you will probably end up with 2 bad ones.† I am going to need TKA in my "good knee" in a few years.† I just over compensated too many years.

I have already had my good knee scoped and it did help but I have also had to started cort. injections...you  can only have 1 every 3 months.† The cort. takes care of a sharp stabbing pain that goes away slowly while the synvic took care of the throbbing swelling,,,just overall OS pain that seems to be there all the time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:01:23 AM by L. Thomas.net »

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 02:54:39 AM »
I went swimming the night I had the injection.   Maybe a little discomfort during the day but ice helped take it away.

Offline misshilde

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 06:53:34 PM »
Thanks y'all...I know as some of you have already said..it's a bandaid....but I'm not ready for a tkr yet...at 44 I still am in great shape :D...for a dancer not so much, but compared to most regular people I rock..however to change a life style is really hard(26 years of dancing and teaching)my doc has also talked about an HTO, but the rehab seams so long and going through such a big deal only to have a a tkr a few years from now seams like "overkill"....as for the synvisc..I hope it takes away most of the pain, so I can build muscle again...because I'm favoring the right knee so much, my hip has slid out..hence the hip surgery...I also keep dislocating my ribs on the right side too and my left hip (the good leg)is starting to snap....I hardly take any dance classes myself, but it is my job and I have to teach....I cheat alot, but that makes things† lopsided and I think it does more harm than good....but the kneepain is staring to effect my every day life...I wake up because my knee hurt..or I can't go to sleep..every time it rains I have a "toothache" in my whole right leg...going up the stairs is ok ...coming down...hell...and running after my daughter, who is learing to bike..impossible...!!

sorry compared to what some of you have gone through, my story is piddly, but.... ???

thanks for listening.... :)

Hilde
born with bad knee
84 50%† hamstring rip
86 lateral meniscus tear
more dance†
99 menisectomy(finally)
more dance

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 08:06:53 AM »
I am starting injections on my left knee this week. I am doing hylagen shots. May have five  every thursday.  Doc says he wants to start using synthetic stuff since he is concerned about bird flu and the sources they are getting the rooster juice from.   Mind you I had Rooster juice ( orthovisc)  in my right knee june 2006 and that was only three.   He is fitting me in on his surgery day so I have to go to the same day surgery center. Sigh.. sigh sigh.  but better than waiting 3 hours in his office 

funny thing I had the place call me for pre addmission questions. I said for christ sake its only shots.. they said  they knew.. but they had to ask.. So they asked me what religion I wanted incase of a priest needed. So funny..  I said its not that bad that I would need a full mass.. its only shots into the knee.  Now see how tuff I become .. when I never had a shot before into my knee was concerned about how it would hurt..  I guess after  you had a TKR you just suck it up.. and find anything that will give you pain relief before doing another surgery.

Now my left knee has never had surgery to it.. only a cortizone shot in dec 2006   

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 05:37:55 PM »
I canít remember† ??? which thread was asking about synvic after TKA.† I went to my OS yesterday for my 3-month check up.† I was asking about a pain and he said the knee was rolled to the side and sometimes you develop :(† bursitis.† He said that if I needed it just call and he would give me a cortisone injection.† I guess that means you can squirt stuff in the knee after TKA.

;D My check-up was great ;D .† Everything was perfect. 8)† He was extremely impressed with my ROM and gait.† He said the pain would decrease and the motion would continue to increase until Dec. which will be 1 year after surgery.

I was right.† ::) I had so much movement in my knee so early that it actually was not ready.† He told me he expected me to have very close to 155-degree† 8) flexation before the end of the year.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 01:14:07 AM by L. Thomas.net »

Offline sterns

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:24:40 PM »
I also had to go through the injections of the Hyalgan. It was 5 weeks, every Tuesday in both knees. I agree that it is bandaid, it did not help me. Personally, I would reccommend that the surgeon numbs your knees as much as they can. To say they are uncomfortable or unpleasant is being very polite. The day of the shot and the next it will be an uncomfortable time. If I remember, I generally took it is the first 24 hours or so and iced my knees down with ice. It was not a very pleasant experience and be completely honest I would not wish them on anyone. Everyone is different, I know, but when they give the shots lay down. I tried to be macho and sat up. That did not last too long, by the third I was laying down and making sure they numbed my knees with as much as possible. My experience with the injections was that I do not remember if I actually had any relief at all.

Good luck!  ;D  :o  ::)

Sterns
{RT TKR}  Rotating Platform Knee
{LFT K}† 6 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}†  9 arthroscopic procedures (cartilage, tendons, ligaments)
{RT K}†  3 1st was arthroscopic, 2nd was TTT, 3rd screw removal
{LFT Shldr}†  4 arthroscopic procedures & 1 slice and dice job
Lots o

support