Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: pain after cortisone injection?  (Read 31703 times)

Offline badguineapig

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
pain after cortisone injection?
« on: March 03, 2007, 01:39:20 PM »
Since my Dr can't figure out why my knee hurts, he decided I probably have arthritis and gave me a cortisone shot.  He injected it right beneath the patella from the superolateral corner.  About 5 hours later, I started to get serious pain in the whole region, up my patellar tendon, etc.  It is now the next day and I'm still in pain - can't walk, hurts to move or bend my leg in any way.  I read about something called cortisone flare but is it supposed to hurt THIS bad?  My dr didn't warn me that I'd be off my feet all weekend.

Thanks if anyone has experienced this.
Formerly a runner
July 02: Diagnostic arthroscopy R knee, leading to surgical derangement of the extensor mechanism.  (Also known as a lateral release)
April 07: Couch potato.  Tendinopathy, fat pad impingment, persistent weakness.

Offline 94757

• Regular Poster
Re: pain after cortisone injection?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 02:17:37 PM »
Same thing happened to me after cortisone injection.  Got it on a Thursaday morning - not too bad that day but Friday and Saturday the knee was very sore especially Sat.  I was told that this would happen so just went with the flow and by Sunday it calmed down a lot.  Be careful though when it calms down because you might think you are better than you are - the cortisone will not mend the original injury - it will just settle things down for awhie to allow the injury to heal so thread carefully.  Get yourself some good DVD's to watch this weekend and chill out.  Good luck with it.
Catherine

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 02:42:34 PM »
Hi there

I myself haven't have a cortisone injection but have had a durolane injection. After I had this injection I was in terrible pain. I had to get the nurses to help me put my shoes on, I had trouble sitting down, getting up and down stairs etc. This went on for over 48hrs after having the injection. I was told not to worry to much about it as it is normal to have pain after an injection. They told me just to give taking pain meds and eventually it will ease of. And I think this is pretty much the same responce after any knee injection.
My advice to you is just to hold on in there. Relax for the mean time and rest up as much as possible, i'm sure it will settle down.
If you still are having pain after a few days consult your doctor.

Hope all gets better

Sarah

Offline mhsflute07

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 07:05:39 PM »
I had a cortisone shot in my hip. My doctor told me I would probably be pretty sore later that night and for a couple days as the anesthetic (that was mixed with the shot) would wear off. Just like they said, I was sore for a couple of days, but improved a lot after that. Hopefully your knee will settle down soon, otherwise maybe call your doctor early next week.

Erin
June 2, 2005 TTT/LR  R.
July 26, 2005 TTT/LR  L.
June 6, 2006 Microfracture R.
June 5, 2007 Microfracture & Screw Removal R.
March 12, 2009 Scope and ACI Biopsy R.
May 12, 2009 TTT, Trochleoplasty R.
December 15, 2009 ACI (patella) & bilateral hardware removal
December 21, 2010 LOA and LR

Offline shortyclairebear

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • love me......love my dog!!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 07:38:01 PM »
hi i myself haven't ever had one but my cousin has and he also found it extremely painful,hope you soon feel better,take care,claire x
hi im claire - 30 yrs old,i live in yorkshire (u.k)
i had a motorcycle accident-landed on right knee!(mar 05)
...arthroscopy - 4th feb 06.
...VMO Advancement,LR+Medial reefing - 24th jan 07.
...28 feb 07 i fell down 14 stairs.....more pain and stress!
...now at PT working on ROM and strenghening

Offline meb10

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 01:52:26 AM »
Hey  there, I had one on Monday of this week..same reason as you the OS has an idea but wanted me to try this cortisone injection first prior to having yet another surgery. But this is my third injection in a year one in May 06, one in 10/06 and now. And all three times I have had this stupid flare just like you but mine is not the normal flare as you read about (2 days) rather mine lasts around a week. So this time I was smart to ask the new OS for something for pain as I told him with the previous two they did not allow me to walk for like 3 days and then still had intense pain lingering. So he gave me something called Vicoprofen. THis is pretty good at controlling  the pain and has reducing the swelling that seems to get induced from the cortisone on me.

But like everyone else said if it does not calm down by lets say Tuesday I would give your OS a call. Thats what I did the last time in October. And from there I have had a host of things done to figure out what is wrong, including a referral to who I saw this week.

Take care and rest. Mary :-\
Arthroscopy-May23,06;suprapatellar synovectomy and plica excision/removal. October 06 now have chondromalacia of patella and osteoarthritis in medial compartment of knee

Offline badguineapig

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 03:51:57 AM »
Thanks, your responses have reassured me!  I had shots in the past, but they were NOTHING like this!  It has gotten a little better throughout the day, so hopefully when I wake up tomorrow I'll be able to walk outside and enjoy the beautiful weather we are having in VA!
Formerly a runner
July 02: Diagnostic arthroscopy R knee, leading to surgical derangement of the extensor mechanism.  (Also known as a lateral release)

Offline sarah1928

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 12:58:39 PM »
Glad to hear that it's starting to ease of a bit. I'm sure give it another day and you'll be fine.
Good weather always cheers us up, so enjoy the day!

Let us know how our feeling

Sarah

Offline Gilly99

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »
I  had one into each knee at the same time - nearly went through the ceiling. Left one fine but right sheer agony when LA wore off - cortisone flare definetly.  It was so bad I could hardly walk and tripped up (I'm good at that....) and spent ages in the ER having tiny specks of dirt emoved from knee wounds - spent 3 weeks going to ER for almost daily dressings and when I had feet ultrasound (unrelated plantar fasciitis) the radiologist was so concerned he ultrasounded the right knee too but, fortunately, no fluid.

Offline lilrosie06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • LIVE WELL. LAUGH OFTEN. LOVE MUCH.
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 03:43:03 AM »
Oh my goodness, when I had my cortisone shot, I was in tears by the time I got home from the doctors office. It hurt sooooo bad!! I iced it and elevated it and took some NSAID's and it finally eased up. It definitely is no fun.

DONNA
LEFT KNEE INJURY-1-05
SCOPE 4-05, LR 1-07, TKR 6-07, MUA 7-07, REVISION 10-07, INFECTION CLEANOUT 11-07, REVISION 4-08, EXPLANT 2-09 ANTIBIOTIC SPACER PUT IN, AND PICC LINE FOR 6 WEEKS
REPLACEMENT 5-09

BACK IN PT NOW....HIP AND FOOT PAIN, POSSIBLY SCIATIC

Offline badguineapig

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 06:59:47 PM »
Ok so it's been 70 hours since I received the shot...I am no longer in pain (except for my patellar tendon), but the swelling and stiffness are horrible.  I have terrible muscle inhibition.  This makes no sense at all to me.  I was fine BEFORE getting the shot...just couldn't perform the exercises or sports I wanted, but I could at least WALK and do stairs.  Ugh, I REALLY REALLY hope this is going to go away.  I'm starting to think maybe my doctor injected me with rheumatoid factor so it would look like I have RA...then he would look smart, and he'd get me off his back. 
Formerly a runner

Offline Gilly99

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 08:17:55 PM »
It should feel better after a few days and remain so for some time if not indefinately.  The feeling of glass fragments cutting into my knees eased after about 5-6 days and the effect lasted aound a month - the ijections were intended to be more diagnostic (finding out whether I had true knee pain or rewferred hip pain) than long-term therapeutic and proved I needed surgery.  Cortison injections into other joints have varied in effect but the last one into an elbow has meant that planned surgery is no longer needed - the injection was about 18 months ago.  Good Luck and hope your pain eases soon.

Offline L. Thomas.net

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Louann in Tennessee/USA
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 04:27:31 AM »
With synivc and cortisone injections I had pain the next day...one of those "what have I done to myself?"  It was worth is all the times I had tnem.  The series of synvic hurt after the first injection but not as much with the second and none with the last.
Mulitple Knee surgeries/ TKA: 06  
Left Hip femoroplasty : 08   
Post Op- TKAinTN 06: http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=33906.

Offline badguineapig

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2007, 02:42:05 AM »
ok I am trying to stay hopeful, but my past experiences have made me into a real pessimist.  I feel like I just took 5 steps backward!  sorry to be a big whiner.  Stay positive, stay positive...gotta keep repeating that!!!!!!
Formerly a runner

Offline Clogger2B

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • I believe in Miracles...
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2007, 04:12:26 AM »
I'm still a newbie here, but I had three cortisone injections prior to my three synvisc injections.  After the first one I was well enough to "jog" up and down stairs and thought it was my lifeline!  It took about 3 weeks to reach that level of comfort and lasted about 8 months slowly wearing away 5 mos post injection. The rest of the story is that the second one while it gave me some relief didn't last as long and the third didn't touch my pain.  Neither did the synvisc for me, however I've talked with many people that said Synvisc has put the joy back into their lives.  Good luck and hope you're bouncing around really soon!

Blessings,
Pamela
Clogger2B-- Soon, I hope!
2/12/00 Rt Knee Surgery- Tibial Plateau Fracture, Mutilated Meniscus, Torn LCL & MCL, Bone Graft
1/18/01  Debridement of Shredded Menis.
12/20/02 Removal of Harware & Microfracture of Bone Marrow
11/12/04 Debridment of Shredded Menis.
1/12/06 TKR
11/21/06 Patellar Button Placement & Lateral Rele