The OSTEOARTHRITIS DEPARTMENT > KNEE ARTHRITIS - Total Knee Replacement

Hamstring Tendon Pain after TKR

<< < (2/2)

Janet:
New news....not so good. My PT finally decided to massage the hamstring area. I pointed to where it hurts and he started. He immediately felt a knot. He thinks a fairly good size ball of scar tissue is around the tendon. There's no knowing how long it's been there. But by the way it feels, he thinks it was probably there before the manipulation. I don't think it was there before the TKR or my OS would have seen it during the surgery. My PT doesn't think they'll do anything about it because it doesn't impede my ROM. But now he's going to treat it a little differently. I'm just so frustrated that I can't get away from the scar tissue causing problems. I wonder if it will always be sore or if it will calm down at some point. It will be interesting to see what my OS says when I see him in March. But tonight I feel somewhat vindicated....I've been telling my PT and my OS that the tendon hurts and they just nodded their heads like it was to be expected. Now at least I have a possible explanation why.

Janet

missmyknee:
Hi Janet

Just curious exactly where do you feel your ball of scar tissue ? If it is on the lateral backside of your knee , I had a similar issue develope about 6 weeks out from my TKR. I had pain and an occasional snap on the lateral back of my knee. It was irritating and painful at first, but tolerable. At my 3 mos post op, I told my hometown OS. Since he didn't feel it snap in the 10 sec he did a physical exam....it probably did not exist. He told me it was probably my hamstring tendon snapping over the prothesis, it would go away. Well, it continued to get worse. At 4-6mos post op , I was riding 6 miles on my mountain bike. I started getting a sharp pinch on the lateral back. It felt like someone had taken needlenose pliers and clamped down suddenly. I gave up mountain biking and was even having the pain with walking. When I saw Noyes at my 6 mos post op, he felt a marble type object, at first thought was scar tissue on the hamstring or popliteal tendon...took xrays. It turns out I had a fabella bone in my knee. It was barely seen on xray. A fabella is an xtra sesmoid bone only 10% of the population gets. He said it was impinging on my prothesis, so during my surgery for scar tissue and saphenous neurolysis, he removed the fabella bone imbedded in my gastroc tendon. That took care of the pain and snapping.

I don't know if this sounds similar to what you are experiencing, but food for thought.

Pam

knee deep in Goo:
Last friday I had xrays on my knee after I was telling my OS  I was getting pinched and he saw my medial hamstring all black and blue..   I am not sure if he was secretly checking for this..   but he said my xray looked great and told me to stop PT and start swimming.. I have just about all the ROM I will get .. 132 flex and zero extenstion and he was mad the PT Kept trying to push the leg down.. when he heard that.. he was like. its not a natural knee.. she cant compare it to the other one

Janet:
Pam, that's really interesting. Do you have the extra bone on both legs? My PT did examine both legs and I don't have the knot on my other leg.

It does feel a little better today after the massage, plus at the end of PT he used stim and heat on the area. But it's also swollen today. I guess that's not surprising.

I go back to the OS at the beginning of March and I'll be sure to ask him to look at it this time. Of course I'm lucky and it's not bothering me anymore by then. I can hope, right?

Janet

missmyknee:
Hi Janet

I don't know if I have one in the other leg   ???   However, I didn't know I had it in the TKR leg til it bothered me after the TKR. I never felt it prior to the tkr.I had 4 weeks of ultra sound and would feel it go over this hard knot. I thought it was a ball of scar tissue too. You had to look really close at the xray to see it. Maybe when the prothesis is in, it becomes more prominent.  Once it was removed, I no longer had the pain and snapping in that area.

Pam

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version