Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Using Crutches? - Problems carrying things? - check this out  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Homer

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Using Crutches? - Problems carrying things? - check this out
« on: January 26, 2007, 07:15:05 PM »
I've just tried out a carry-clamp - never seen anything like it before & it works really well.

www.carry-clamp.com
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 08:22:16 PM by Homer »
1.8.06 - RK - Ruptured ACL, Torn Meniscus
17.11.06 - RK - ACLR (Hamstring)

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Using Crutches? - Problems carrying things? - check this out
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 09:16:06 PM »
looks cool.. but 35$ for the month that I was on crutches?  nah...   I used Wal-mart bags..  (lord knows I have a lot of those  ;) )
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

redtoblack

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 09:20:46 PM »
I couldn't have made it without my wal-mart bags. It does look cool, but I'm not sure if I would spend that much, unless I was going to be on crutches for some time. Hopefully that will never happen. I'm not a big fan.

Jordan
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 09:56:19 PM by redtoblack »

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 09:49:54 PM »
You would have to be just so steady to cary anything on a plate or in a cup - better using a thermos flask and sandwich box in a rucksack!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline Homer

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:16:56 PM »
Take your point - I liked the idea of making food on a plate like a normal person & then being able to carry it from the kitchen to the dining room & eat it there. We don't all think the same so it won't be everyones answer - but i was pretty impressed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 07:22:07 PM by Homer »

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 07:19:43 PM »
Hey thats totally cool homer...   Im just too cheap.....

knee deep in Goo

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 07:27:16 PM »
 When I was on crutches. I would have my meals saran wrapped up so things wouldnt fly all over and I found carrying a little bag was well worth the cost since I could stuff a bottle of water.. a sandwhich, french fries and my wallet. At work if I wanted to take a warm meal back to my desk all I would do is ask the cook staff to saran wrap the meal and into the bag it would go .

35.00 seems a bit steep. I rather spend the money on a back pack

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 07:38:09 PM »
I think the idea might be good, but they need some adjustments.
I have been on crutches about 8 years of my life and I have never used anything special to be able get food with me..either you have to eat in a certain spot or termos is the ideal..or having heated food in some box..that works well.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Homer

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 08:40:12 PM »
Ok - it's confession time - seeing as I have had so much support on this site during my rehab - i have to tell you something - this is my invention! The more info page on the site recaps my experience of being on crutches 3 times in the last 4 years. I've done all the carry bag, thermos flask, cling film etc work arounds and started to look into whether there was a better way of doing things. I spent 3 weeks refining the prototype & it really does work. I can make up a plate of food - attach it to my crutches and easily transport it around the house to were i want to eat it. On the site I suggest putting clingfilm over the plate but I never bother. The crutch action you need is similar to when you carry a glass of cold drink, you tend to do a more upright & shorter crutch movement but it's not difficult to master.

Needless to say my friends think i am crackers! BUT you have to have used crutches to realise where my inspiration & motivation came from. There's not much mark up on the product & it may never sell - but I know it's original, it works & if you are using crutches, you won't feel as helpless.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 08:26:39 AM »
Next time be honest and tell right away.
I think the idea might be good but having the cup or plate so near the crutch aren't good..with the movement you make you should do a longer arm.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.

Offline Hockey girl...

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 10:12:21 AM »
I think it is a really good idea and would be interested in trying one out... although i am pretty sceptical that i'll be able to carry a plate of food without the food slipping off. Would it hold a peice of paper? I am a student who will be on crutches for 6 months. after MACI + osteotomy

When i've been on crutches before i've always used a back pack cause I have to move around uni a lot all day. Doesn't look too stylish and really annoying to have to take it on and off all the time, but it was ok. However at the time I was able to hobble enough to get round the house with a plate etc. Does anyone else have any other cool ideas for around the house when your completely NWB?

Plus what are your veiws on raised toilet seats and shower chairs... I'd realy rather not descend to this level.... are they worth it?

I live with four other students and don't want to lose my independance or be too much of a burden!
4th year Physiotherapy student... should help right!!?
03 - partial lateral minesectomy
04 - partial lateral minesectomy
04 - microfracture
04-07: extensive conservative treatment.
07 - OS suggested MACI + open wedge femoral osteotomy

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2007, 12:54:35 PM »
Instead of raised toiletseat my ring is thicker on the toilet.
Both raised toilet seats and shower chairs are very handy to have when you are NWB.
I am 100% wheelchair user but have been on crutches before a lot.
Good luck with upcoming surgery and rehab.

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 04:01:34 PM »
Hey Homer.. at one time in my checkered career, I helped assess products and/or business plans for a venture capitalist.  One of the common problems was products over-engineered for the market - in other words - "too good"  thus too expensive/difficult to manufacture to set the price point low enough to sell a lot of volume.  In the case of your product, anything you can do to simplify the manufacturing process and get the price down would help a lot.
For the short term user (like me) 35 bucks is  a lot of money.  If I was on crutches for longer than 2 or 3 months than I think I would pay it gladly for the independence it offered. 
Synopsis - IMHO - good product with a 10 to 20 fold greater potential market if the price was 1/2 of current.
Good luck.

Offline j_smi001

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 08:11:21 PM »
OK I am a little confused as the front page cites 14.75 but on the paypal screen cites, 12.55, so how much exactly is the clamp.  I am considering as I was on crutches for 6 months and facing a similiar prospect in a couple of months time.  I struggled with the palte issue and never fancied the meal after it had been sloshed about in a buttie box in my rucksack (every meal looked like stew).  I did find a solution for the cup of hot liquid though, I bought a 2.99, thermos flask cup and the handle clipped nicely onto the crutch hand grip and with the lid on kept the contents secure (and warm considering how long it took me to get anywhere)
2002 plica removal, chrondoplasty both knees and LR right knee. Derotational tibial osteotomy rt leg 07/04/06. Awaiting for left leg to be rotated and have no more knee pain!

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2007, 10:19:12 PM »
Hockeygirl,

If you are in a position where you need a raised toilet eat - they are GREAT!!!!
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)