Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 346281 times)

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 39
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1455 on: February 11, 2018, 12:54:52 AM »
That is fantastic news turbo. Me being a newbie it's encouraging to hear even someone with the setbacks you've had,  can get back to a level of normality. Thanks for the advice Barrjoe.Just had 2nd P.t. with very light stretching, nothing past 20.Loooooong way to go.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #1456 on: February 11, 2018, 06:33:56 AM »
Is that only 20 ROM jlguthrie???  :(

I can't believe I'm finally reaching a level of normality. Like, I'm able to go over the bumps from the garage door into the driveway without issue. Even as of last week they were still giving me issues.

Today, I walked normally over them for the first time in 1 year and 7 months. I walked normally entirely down the decline of the driveway. Declines have always given me issues.

I am also starting to walk faster, because I can depend on the flexibility of my quad tendon even more since my PT did his thing on my last appointment.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1457 on: February 12, 2018, 07:01:56 PM »
Hello everyone. P.t. had me at 20 r.o.m. two days ago and at 30 today after a lengthy warm up. Feels like my knee cap cap is going to rip off. Turbo, I've read all your posts , and I'm thrilled to hear of your success. Congrats.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #1458 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:29 PM »
Hello everyone. P.t. had me at 20 r.o.m. two days ago and at 30 today after a lengthy warm up. Feels like my knee cap cap is going to rip off. Turbo, I've read all your posts , and I'm thrilled to hear of your success. Congrats.

The strain you feel on the knee when you first start with the PT is terrifying because you just had a catastrophic injury and you're afraid of retearing the injury. PT will not hurt you and will not re-injure you. It's going to feel really weird for a while when they stretch you, and it's going to hurt, but you will see progress the more PT sessions you have.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1459 on: February 13, 2018, 05:23:13 AM »
Dan, thanks for the advice.Your exactly right, pain is just pain but the fear of them undoing the surgery is worse. I know you've all been there and it's necessary.Did any of you have a lot of pain in your patellar tendon when they massage it?

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1460 on: February 13, 2018, 10:40:22 AM »
Dan, thanks for the advice.Your exactly right, pain is just pain but the fear of them undoing the surgery is worse. I know you've all been there and it's necessary.Did any of you have a lot of pain in your patellar tendon when they massage it?

When I first started PT (approximately 6 months after my surgery), yes there was definitely quite a bit of pain in my patellar tendon, but it has always been tolerable. There is still some slight discomfort in the front of the lower part of my leg (from the patellar down to my ankle) but it has lessened significantly over time. There is no more pain in my quad tendon area where they did the surgery, and hasn't been any pain since shortly after my surgery. For awhile while PT massaged it and did their thing there would be pain at that point (but never while doing movements). Only while they massaged it or otherwise put pressure on it.

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1461 on: February 14, 2018, 07:15:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply turbo, there's a definite knot on the patellar tendon.Hopefully p.t. can work it out.

Offline Tvh3382

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 21
  • Bilateral Quadricep Rupture 14/2/18
« Reply #1462 on: February 22, 2018, 09:20:55 AM »
You will see from my new thread I have joined the very rare bilateral quad rupture club.  My op was 1 week ago and currently still in hospital with static cricket pad splints which will be in place for 6 weeks.  OT and PT have tried to stand me up but although OT wants me home (I do as well) PT has said pointless trying to stand because it is impractical as I cannot move my feet forward.  Resorting to the banana board transfer from bed to chair for the next 5 weeks.  Aware itís long process especially as I have done both but I am a glass half full person so any tips will be lovely.  Tried to look at all this thread which I am doing slowly and some great stories of recovery as well as some really sad ones. 

Will keeping posting updates as I go along and try and give encouragement to others.

Phil

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1463 on: February 22, 2018, 06:10:30 PM »
So sorry to hear of your situation Phil. I'm six weeks post op for a single leg full rupture which has been difficult enough,  can't imagine the hell your going through. Still new to this but I've learned  quite a bit. The reoccurring theme to most of these posts is patience and positivity (no easy task). My first P.t. at 3 weeks I could barely reach 20 r.o.m. thinking this will never get better. Four sessions later I've hit 55 and am now adding some exercises, still a long way to go. On the bright side, since my injury two of my coworkers revealed they've  had QTR's prior to me meeting them. We work in a stressful physical environment and Iv'e never known them to walk with a limp or have any kind of knee trouble. Stay strong.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1464 on: February 23, 2018, 03:11:05 AM »
Today has been a step back for me. Why is it some days I feel stronger, yet days like today I feel like I just came out of my brace and I have to return to using my cane? I don't get it.

I really don't get the randomness of it?

I wish it was as easy as a straight line right to the top and being normal again.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:18:08 AM by TurboCoder3000 »

Offline Jlguthrie

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1465 on: February 24, 2018, 04:06:02 AM »
Hey turbo, can't remember who posted that the gains we make are not linear, but can be seen when looking back overtime. Hopefully it can be written off as a bad day and you will resume with your progress. Hope everyone is doing well.

Offline Tvh3382

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 21
  • Bilateral Quadricep Rupture 14/2/18
« Reply #1466 on: February 24, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »
Saw the orthopaedic registrar yesterday as they are trying to get me out of hospital but a few blood pressure issues have cropped up (fainted twice trying to stand up).  I did manage to find out that the repairs were just done with strong sutures and no wires through the knee cap which seemed a surprise to the registrar and explains why I canít start any Physio for 6 week as these splints stay on fixed straight.  The question is because of no Physio for 6 weeks will this let scar tissue build up and cause issues when I start Physio. 

Has anyone else had to wait 6 weeks for Physio and if so how was it.

Thanks.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 197
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1467 on: February 24, 2018, 09:26:43 AM »
Hi Phil

Yes,  six weeks is the norm, don`t worry about the scar tissue at this stage.

It is quite normal to drill four holes into your knee cap and refix with sutres - they disolve over time.   It`s also quite normal to discharge you within a week after your op - but take care when trying to walk with crutches - wet floor - snow ice is a no no.

No driving for at least three months, even then only with the ok from the OS.

Take care - keep posting
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1468 on: February 24, 2018, 03:11:38 PM »
Hey turbo, can't remember who posted that the gains we make are not linear, but can be seen when looking back overtime. Hopefully it can be written off as a bad day and you will resume with your progress. Hope everyone is doing well.

Indeed! I'm actually starting to walk around more at work without my cane, so I think that's some more progress? So yeah. Must have been one of those bad days. :)

I hope you're still progressing, jlguthrie!!! I can't imagine starting from 20 degrees ROM!!!! :( Although I guess I came close - I started at 45 when we finally took off my brace.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 52
« Reply #1469 on: February 26, 2018, 12:32:15 PM »
Hello,

Two days away from my next scheduled surgery. Wed I am to undergo a TTO to re position my patella and remove the scar tissue.  While they are in there they will look at the 40% tear that I have on the 2x repaired quad.  I have been told that the rehab protocols are completely different, but I guess I need to go in and be positive that they may be able to repair both issues.   I am not looking forward to 6-8 weeks with no weight bearing. 
   Staying positive.  Hoping the 3rd time is a charm as they say.

support