Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 351430 times)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 115
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1425 on: January 13, 2018, 09:55:25 AM »
Hi everyone!!

Video Update shows the "progress" of my walking and such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6cSIvwGLZU

The update is: I'm still only bending approximately 90 degrees. It's only been a week since I had been dialing up the dynasplint to 4 hours a day and only a day or so since I upped the intensity to level 11. So, I'm still hopeful it will help. My walking without my cane is atrocious. Because of the length of time I have been compensating in other ways, it will take some time for me to re-learn proper walking. It makes sense. Very discouraging, but it makes sense.

I had no idea that being in an immobilizer brace and using crutches for 8 months would result in this kind of extended recovery.

It has been a major adjustment this week in expectations and mentally adjusting myself to the fact that I am not over this thing yet. While I had made progress and am still making progress, it is still not where it needs to be.

My PT is still talking about manipulation. Well, I used my last credit card for my surgery so unless something happens here I'm stuck and I'm done.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1426 on: January 16, 2018, 02:52:30 AM »
Well, you will not believe it. I had to swallow my ego and use my walker to do this, but I'm doing it.

2 days after following the new protocol that my PT gave me (which consists of shifting my weight 100% on my right quadriceps tendon), the progress is astounding. I was unable to lift my left leg to walk when I first started. By the second session, I was putting full weight forward on my tendon as it is supposed to happen, and picking UP my left leg completely without issue.

It's slow right now, but I am officially able to:

1. Walk with connected steps,
2. Walk fluidly.

With the rapid progress towards normal walking that I am experiencing in just TWO DAYS, it begs the question: why was I not asked to do this form the beginning? I have experienced more rapid progress in two days than I have in two months doing all these other exercises.

Offline WestcoastMom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #1427 on: January 16, 2018, 04:08:03 AM »
Any updates PEB?

Happy bday John...

And I am glad for your progress, Turbo.

I will be 17 weeks post op tomorrow.  Still going to PT 2 dayís a week.  Not sure when I will check in to 1 day a week.  I donít have gym equipment at home or a gym membership, so it is nice using those at PT.  (But saving $25 a visit would be nice too)

They donít really measure ROM anymore since it got to 120.  Not where my ďgood legĒ is but certainly a workable range.  Still lots of stiffness and heaviness.  And pain to the touch.  Not much info on what is normal.

Progressing to more challenging strengthening.  I walk around the house without the brace and usually put it on outside or when I go somewhere.  I know they would like me to just leave it off, but my leg still buckles quite often.  Not sure if that is a concern given where I am in recovery or not.  It does certainly keep me cautious. 

I can now walk upstairs without going just one step at a time.  But do need to hold on and it can be a little painful.  A lot of my pain is still just below the knee.  And I seem to have developed some IT band pain.

I will be going with my 15 year old to a beach volleyball tournament in a few weeks.  Flying should be fine although I am sure my leg will get stiff and uncomfortable.  However all the walking around and walking on a beach could prove interesting.

PT suggests getting a cane for everyday use.  I am having trouble making myself do that...

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 199
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1428 on: January 16, 2018, 06:14:56 AM »
As i have suggested many times, go onto amazon and get yourself a floor cycle - not expensive, about $50, the sit in your favourite chair and pedal away - works wonders.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #1429 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:39 PM »
Westcoastmom
 Keep up the good hard work.  When I traveled (one month out of the brace after mt 2nd revision) I wore my brace thru the airport and on the plane for 6 hrs, more for safety and piece of mind from all the other travelers.  Take it slow on the beach.  I was able to walk on the beach last summer and took the brace off.  The beach does wonders for the sole.  I had my wife walk with me for support.   Be safe and enjoy.

My latest update.

I heard from the surgeon last week.  The plan is to correct the patella baja with scar tissue clean up  arthroscopic and then finish once he opens up the knee to do the TTO , with a possible quad tear repair. He explained the these 2 are related , but separate issue. He will decide on the  quad tear repair once the surgery is underway  He explained that the TTO protocol is bend bend bend, and the quad is locked brace for 6-8 weeks, as I know all to well.  (do I see a separate surgery for the 40% tear down the road) 

At this point, I am waiting for them to schedule.  I did request to wait until Feb, so I can tie up loose end that I didn't get to do all of last year.

I will  update once I know.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1430 on: January 17, 2018, 04:59:23 PM »
Went in today to get cast 2 removed. They put on the locking bledsoe brace. It's going to take a while to trust myself in this thing. I had gotten all too used to the support of the cast (as annoying as it was) and this brace doesn't have nearly as much support. In fact, walking from the car into my apartment, I was going a bit too fast and the knee moved forward a little. Nothing hurts and everything works as it should so I think I'm okay, but it was a quick realization that I need to slow down and take my time.

Gotta relearn how to sit in a chair/bathroom again. That should be fun. In total, I'm a little over 4 weeks from surgery and PT should be coming soon. There's a long road ahead. One day at a time.

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1431 on: January 17, 2018, 05:16:47 PM »
Dan.

I think you nailed it with your last comment.  One day at a time. we need to have patience, these injuries are very severe.
 Take it slow out there with the snow.  Go Pats. Lets hope for a good game on Sunday. 

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1432 on: January 17, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »
Dan.

I think you nailed it with your last comment.  One day at a time. we need to have patience, these injuries are very severe.
 Take it slow out there with the snow.  Go Pats. Lets hope for a good game on Sunday. 

Offline TurboCoder3000

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1433 on: January 17, 2018, 11:25:54 PM »
Great progress WCM, Dan, and PEB...but indeed we all have to consider protocols and take things one day at a time. Which is especially hard I know because of the fact that I've wanted it over with yesterday.

Major, major milestone reached at this morning's PT: I just passed 101 degrees ROM!!!! FINALLY!!!! My PT was ecstatic at the improvement, and was excited at the improvement in my walking on the parallel bars as well. Now if I can just translate that to walking without my cane.

I am excited and can't believe I am finally at 101 degrees ROM. YAY!!!!

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1434 on: January 19, 2018, 03:25:00 PM »
That's great news Turbo, congrats!

I've figured out how to sit/stand and walk around in this brace. It's much slower going than in the cast, but it's progress nonetheless. PT comes today for an assessment and PT will start on Monday. They want me at 90 degrees ROM in 4 weeks. My PT actually said that I'll need to take my aspirin/tylenol before he shows up because he's going to work my leg.

Besides being cooped up in the apartment, I think the thing I miss most about normal life is being able to go out and enjoy a beer with the guys at the bar. I don't see that happening any time soon.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 63
« Reply #1435 on: January 19, 2018, 07:05:19 PM »
Hello all,
Nothing new to report here. Surviving the winter and been walking about 15 miles a week  (indoors) . Been busy with the holidays and family stuff so the quad hasnít really been on my mind. Gotta admit, the longer I wait, the more gun shy I am about surgery. Guess Iím anxious to see how things go for you, Peb, since your  experiances mirror mine kinda close. Plus your a Jeep guy times two as well. Ď14 Sahara and a Ď16 Rubi unlimited here. Best of luck all

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1436 on: January 19, 2018, 07:17:35 PM »
PT Guy came by. I haev about 40 degrees of flexion on my own, and 50 when he manually manipulated my knee. Gonna have PT Mon/Wed/Fri for the next 4 weeks with the goal of 90 degrees of flexion by the end. The knee is really stiff, and I didn't realize how much my calf had atrophied. It's annoying as I've always had strong calves, so I have to build that up as well.

PT told me to do to the following exercises 5 times a day. Heel slides, hip adduction(move the leg out and back in), heel lifts, ankle pumps, and leg lifts. I can do all but the leg lift at the moment. I think it's mostly in my head as I was able to do it in the cast. Just gotta keep practicing. It's so weird feeling your knee be so tight and having to fight through it.

It'll be a tough road, but it'll be worth it.

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1437 on: January 25, 2018, 12:41:58 AM »
So my ortho almost killed me and would have killed an older patient. I did everything the ortho prescribed to a tee. Well the ortho didn't take into account my weight. I'm 200 kgs, big guy I know but the ortho gave me lovenox for a regular weight person.  Well i finished my dosage on Wednesday the 17th. On Sunday I woke up and used the bathroom and felt a little tightness im my chest and heard a tsss noise but didn't think anything of it because it didn't hurt.

I stayed on the couch most of the day and after the afc championship game, I got up to go to the bathroom and felt really weak.  I got to the counter and got super dizzy and my hearing disappeared to just ringing. I sat down on the toilet to collect myself and must've passed out because I awoke shortly after face first on the bathroom wall on the floor. I yelled for my caretaker to call the paramedics and they got me up in a chair to get me to the stretcher. I passed out again in the chair and awoke shortly after again wondering where I was and what was happening.

I got to the hospital and they told me I had a large PE that would've killed most people.  I had an EKOS procedure done to break up the clot. After the procedure the told me that I actually had multiple large PEs and and very fortunate to be alive. Literally everyone in the cardiology department can't believe ortho screwed up the dosage nor that I'm still here.

It's been super scary.  I've been in the hospital ever since and just got out of the icu.

Just wanted to share with everyone.  Even if progress is slow,  it's still progress.  Hug your loved ones.  You never know what can happen.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:45:34 AM by DanD25 »

Offline DanD25

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1438 on: January 25, 2018, 12:44:05 AM »

Offline PEB65A

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1439 on: January 25, 2018, 12:27:56 PM »
Dan,

That is very scary.  Especially now that I am now under 5 weeks before my next surgery.  I know we always look at the meds that are prescribed, but this will serve as a wake up call to look even closer.

Take it slow, and keep up with the exercises. I am walking around the building at work every morning truing to keep my leg as strong as possible, to help post op.

Hang in there.  We have another Championship to go after.