Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 325132 times)

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 37
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1380 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:27 AM »
They drilled  thru my kneecap as well vinny

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 169
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #1381 on: December 06, 2017, 12:12:13 PM »
Sutres and wires covers two types of RPT injuries , I am given to understand this depends on the damage to the patella itself - but mostly with sutres.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline WestcoastMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #1382 on: December 07, 2017, 10:13:03 PM »
Have my 12 week post op next Thursday.  Hope the doc lets me get through my list of questions.  The PTs are nice but donít have a lot of answers to many of my questions.

They donít understand why the doc is going so much slower than standard protocol.  My guess would be fear of re rupture. 

I am just over 11 weeks post op today.  Still only allowed to walk with the fully locked brace and extended leg.  No strengthening allowed other than leg lifts with the locked brace.  I can bend to just about 100 degrees, but it is tight much sooner than that.  (And really am not supposed to go past 90)

I have started getting some pretty big twitching under the kneecap when I fully straighten.  No pain with it, but it takes a moment for the twitching to stop.  I still have pain to the touch along the scar.

I would imagine that there is a significant risk of rupturing again just based on how tight the leg still is and how little quad tendons and quad muscles actually stretch.  PTs seem very concerned about that.  And always linger feeling under the kneecap like that feels strange to them too.

Been thinking of everyone on here and hope things are going ok.  It has been icy in the morning out here in the Pacific Northwest!

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1383 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:27 PM »
Had the twitching after both surgery's. Kinda got the impression that was normal. But I 've also had 2 re-ruptures, so don't take my word on it. I wouldn't worry too much about a re rupture though , Mom. The few of us here that it's happened to are in a very rare minority. My Ortho only had one other rerupture and I'm the only 3 timer

Offline PEB65A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #1384 on: December 08, 2017, 11:40:40 PM »
My scar is also tender to the touch.  Wearing pants was awful at first. Getting  more used to it.

Its gonna snow here in MA tomorrow for the first time. I think my wife is more scared than I am.

As you know I am also a 3 peater. I have a 40% tear  currently and am loaded with scar tissue.

We had a meeting with the surgeon last week.  We have 2 options ahead of us.

1 A a scope to remove scar tissue, followed by a PRP shot.  It will help  with the stiffness, but the tear will still   be there.  There is no research to say the tear will be ok or not be ok.  It just does not exist.

2 have a revision surgery with a graph.  Obviously very invasive, having been thru 2 surgeries and recoveries
 already this year. The Dr is setting up an appointment with a fellow surgeon to go over my case, to  help us make the best decision moving forward.

I will follow up once I know more details. 

Everyone be safe out there.

Offline Vinny61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #1385 on: December 09, 2017, 06:19:29 PM »
It's been an eventful 2 weeks. Last week, PT gave me the ok to shower without the braces ( no more garbage bags!). It was scary as hell the first few times!

Earlier this week, they gave me the ok to walk around work and home without the braces, but still had to wear them to and from.

Yesterday ( 14 weeks since surgery) I was given the go ahead to not use the braces at all. I did wear the braces home from PT because I had to stop at  few stores and i'm still really nervous about being around crowds without them...and today it's snowing, so maybe tomorrow..
bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 09/01/17
Surgery to repair both tendons 09/01/17

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1386 on: December 09, 2017, 08:10:28 PM »
PEB, what's a prp shot? And if you don't mind me asking, is your ortho at one of the big hospitals in your area? I got my second opinion at Mayos , which is about 400 miles from where I live. He never mentioned anything other than the graph or living with it as is.

As far as scar pain/discomfort, both of mine are numb.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 08:15:46 PM by Barrjoe »

Offline PEB65A

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #1387 on: December 10, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
Joe.  yes I am at one of best hospitals in Boston.  A PRP shot is plasma rich protein. They draw your own blood and spin it down and inject it into the injured area. It may help  fill the tear, the key word there is may. it is not covered by insurance and could be up  to 4k.
 I am waiting to meet with another surgeon now so they can help me make the best decision going forward.

Offline dal_knee

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #1388 on: December 10, 2017, 08:28:28 PM »
$4k for a PRP is absolutely outrageous. Call around/ Shop around. For your geographical area I think a typical rate is around $1500. 
2007 - partial medial meniscectomy
2010 - full thickness chondral defect & adjacent subchondral edema MFC.   Direct result of stupid partial mensicectomy from 2007.
2014 - Subchondroplasty, chondroplasty, unauthorized 2nd partial medial meniscectomy.
2015 - partial failure of subchondroplasty.

Offline WestcoastMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1389 on: December 11, 2017, 02:34:05 AM »
Sounds like things are going well, Vinny! Good luck with all of your brace-less adventures.  I hope to be able to start walking with the brace unlocked with a small degree of flex soon after my 12 week appt.  Still feels like they are taking things way slower than most.  Although I have been showering without the brace for quite a while. I havenít done any strengthening yet, so I am sure I will be in the brace for quite some time.

Pen65a - good luck in getting good information from the doctors to help with your decision.  It would be so nice if they could tell you why they thought you re ruptured to help you with that decision. 

I hope to fly with my daughter for volleyball in early February.  I hope it is more comfortable staying bent at that point!

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #1390 on: December 12, 2017, 04:51:17 AM »
PT Update:

Still approx. 92 degrees. Tons of tightness in my right calf, and tightness in the upper right portion of my leg. Not to mention tightness in the area of my tendon that needs rehabbing. Regaining "full walking ability will take awhile."

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #1391 on: December 14, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
I have been waiting for this day for a year and four months while going through physical therapy and everything else I've had to go through.

For the first time since my surgery ordeal began a year and four months ago, I am finally able to walk outside without my cane. Thanks to the help of my step dad, who has been teaching me how to walk again today, I've made the leap to being able to walk outside without my cane. Sorry about the redundancy but I am excited.

In addition, I made the leap to walking from the door into my garage, to halfway down my driveway, which is on a decline. Inclines and declines have always given me trouble. But today - I conquered half and for the first time went outside without my cane!!!!

We're not talking about baby steps here. We're talking about full, bona-fide, walking steps like I used to before my injury. That's what makes today so incredible. My knees are not wobbly in the least, they feel solid. My legs are so fatigued today and it is making me want to cry tears of joy.

I have been waiting for this day for a year and four months. I really finally feel like I'm going to be a real person again after all this is over. I can't believe it. It's the most amazing Christmas present anyone has ever given me.

Offline Barrjoe

• Regular Poster
« Reply #1392 on: December 14, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
That's great Turbo! Most people don't have a clue what this injury is like. And the seemingly small achievements are huge for us.

Offline Vinny61

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #1393 on: December 15, 2017, 05:48:24 PM »
Like I posted above, I was given the go ahead to walk without my braces last Friday. (14 weeks)

Just as my luck would have it, it's snowed 3 times since last Friday with more to come this afternoon..WTF?

I've been wearing the braces to my car and the taken them off once in the car since I know that the lot at work will be clear. I've also walked some without the braces on snowy patches at stores etc. and I am gaining confidence but it's still scary as hell!
bilateral quadriceps tendon rupture 09/01/17
Surgery to repair both tendons 09/01/17

Offline WestcoastMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1394 on: December 16, 2017, 12:05:00 AM »
Congrats turbo!  And keep the updates coming!

Had my 12 wee post op visit a few days ago.  I had a lot of questions which I was able to ask, but I always leave feeling like I get few answers.  It is probably more that there arenít definitive answers.

The doc feels like things are good for 12 weeks out.  But no real answer on why he took things so slow.  I am now able to move on to strengthening, walking with some flex and eventually weaning from the brace.  I had not been allowed to do anything that engaged the quad.  But was able to straighten the leg fully from a 90 degree bend at his office. 

I have been walking with the flex set to only 10 degrees until I get some strengthening in at therapy next week.  I still get significant pulling and sometimes pain when I try to bend closer to 100 degrees.

But baby steps.  Very baby steps.  And it has been so nice to be able to drive to get all the holiday stuff ready the past few weeks.  I hate that I have to pay someone to come rake all our leaves...

support