Author Topic: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon  (Read 317076 times)

Offline davkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
Re: Ruptured Quadriceps Tendon
« Reply #1305 on: May 13, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »
Thats great Turbo! I'm getting round close to normally on 2 from 3 of 2 crutches and the brace and managing round home (plenty to furniture to grab for support if my knee gives way), managed a 7 mile walk with one crutch last weekend, sure something that normally takes me 2 hours or less took over 3.5hrs but great to be out. Will have a first try at driving in almost 4 months tomorrow. The big win for me was on range of movement, I'm pretty flexible so my legs happily fold back on themselves so pre injury I could sit on my heels comfortably for as long as I wanted, for a while my knee has been stubbornly only going far enough to be about about a handspan away from doing that, today doing a bit of stretching it happily went to within about 1" of far enough.

Offline Eboh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #1306 on: May 14, 2017, 01:36:10 AM »
Do any of you feel your patella is "loose"?
I can shift my patella from side to side, the knee is more sore than earlier, and there's a clicking sound and feel when I flex the knee - the last few days also when doing (very close to) straight leg raises. Most uncomfortable.  :(
After the last surgery there's 5 sutures through it, so one should think it was firm in place.
Think I'll ask for an extra consultation with the OS...

Anyways: I've been so busy pretendig I'm *fine!* that I haven't been here for a while.
10 weeks post surgery (re-rupture) now, almost 7 months post first rupture, and my knee seems to have stopped completely at 90 degrees flexion.
I failed my first try on the stationary bike last week.
The muscle atrophy is so severe in both the thigh and the lower leg, that I can't imagine weaning from the brace.
To top that the battery in my spinal cord stimulator is failing and I have to have surgery to change it next week, and my arthritis and arthrosis is playing havoc with me.
I've kind of had it right now.
Thumbs up from Norway, in other words!  :P

On the other hand I walked a lot without crutches last weekend, and am about to ditch them completely.  :) I also have excellent contact with the almost-non-existent quad muscles, and that's good!

Excellent news TurboCoder! I know excactly what you mean about the brace. I had new and shorter straps fitted for mine less than two weeks ago, and now it keeps falling down to my ankles again.

Barrjoe: Good luck at Mayo!

Offline Barrjoe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #1307 on: May 16, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »
Good to hear from you Eboh!

Did go to Mayo's last week. Was expecting to get something done, but that didn't happen. Here's what I do know , however. Right quad is partially attached. That explains why I can do some things.  Got pretty good range of motion.

My left knee is another story however. Had them check that, more or less as an after thought. It's totally shot! I need a total replacement. The Surgeon looked at the MRI and asked me when I hurt it. Took me a while to remember then I told him I sprained my mcl 3 or 4 years ago. He told me I did a lot more than that. Tore both the mcl and acl and don't have any cartilage left. Need a total replacement. The way things have been going, I ain't shocked.

So, here's my plan. Get left knee replaced first, hope by July. Then get right quad fixed later in the year. I guess that needs a transplant. Best news is that the Mayo doc wants me to quit smoking before he touches me. That's gonna suck!

Offline Eboh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1308 on: May 20, 2017, 10:46:00 PM »
I'm terribly sorry to read that, Barrjoe! Good for you that you are planning for the next move, one day everything will be ok.

Offline davkt

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #1309 on: May 30, 2017, 05:14:38 PM »

The muscle atrophy is so severe in both the thigh and the lower leg, that I can't imagine weaning from the brace.

Thumbs up from Norway, in other words!  :P

I know that feeling, broke my ankle at the same time as I trashed my quads tendon so was totally none weight bearing for 8 weeks then only touch bearing for another 3. By the end of that my leg muscles were totally shot. I'm now 19 weeks post accident and can manage round the house without aids (but plenty of things to grab if (or rather when) my knee gives way) and for very short distances like taking the rubbish out outside. Out and about I still use crutches, mostly as a safety aid as my knee is very unstable still. I finally ditched the brace 2 weeks ago though may need it next week as I need to take a flight and while the airline says I can wear the brace no problem but won't give me a straight answer regarding the crutches.

Getting leg strength back takes a long time, I've been back to using very light weights in the gym for around a month and am seeing improvements, but have been told all along it will be be somewhere between 9 and 12 months (and that is assuming I put in the hard work in the gym) post op till my leg is back to normal for things like running, cycling, skiing and sailing.

Offline Eboh

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #1310 on: May 30, 2017, 08:35:59 PM »
davkt, imagine how it feels after 7 months...  :-\
My quad ruptured completely 16 weeks post-op when I thought everything was going well, it has been almost 13 weeks since the repeat surgery now.
BUT, I seem to have more or less weaned off the brace! :D I suddenly had enough of hitching it up several times a day, and since last week I've only worn it outside. I'm sure going without it will help rebuild the muscles.
I seem to manage without crutches as well, as long as the ground is relatively even. Have developed a massive fear of stumbling, though.

At my last consult with the OS 4 weeks ago, he ok'd deep tissue massage to prevent tendinosis. Since then my pt has left me alone with my exercises, giving me neither massage nor any other help. The quad has become hard, thick and stiff again. I worry about it, and feel history is repeating itself. The patella still feels like it isn't attached to anything.
The good thing about the pt letting me down, is that I've been annoyed enough to finally managing to master the stationary bike!  ;D

I had surgery to replace my spinal stimulator on May 18th, and for once a surgery went without any complications at all! Yay! :)
I got a rechargeable one this time, and hopefully it will last more than the 18 months the previous ones have.  ;)

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #1311 on: June 11, 2017, 04:11:25 AM »
I have some major updates this week, as well as milestones that I reached yesterday. First, on Wednesday I sat in the driver's seat of my car for the first time in 9 months. I can't wait to drive again! I can finally bend my knee enough to wear my full ensemble of clothing (pants and shoes) for the first time since I tore my quad tendon on 8/28/2016.

Yesterday, my company had our annual retreat at UC Irvine's Anteater Recreation Center. For those who are unfamiliar with UC Irvine, the rec center is huuuuuuuge! The next milestone: I walked probably 3500 times farther than I have over the past 9 months. It was awesome! One minor milestone: I got to walk on grass and dirt for the first time in 9 months, and had no major issues with walking. The retreat itself was amazing as well!

Next stop: re-learning to drive again, and re-learning how to walk without my walker.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 04:13:00 AM by TurboCoder3000 »

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1312 on: June 15, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
Major, major updates from my surgeon visit Wednesday. I am still kind of reeling and not 100% sure that I'm here, but so glad I am here at the same time:

1. I DO NOT have to have the knee manipulation procedure.
2. Knee ROM is coming along nicely with the DynaSplint and progress is great. Surgeon was able to fully bend my knee while I was laying on my back horizontally, using a bit of force.
3. I AM CLEARED TO START DRIVING AGAIN. Oh my God I haven't driven since 8/28/2016. I can't believe I can drive. I am soooooo PUMPED!!!!!!!!!! I am going to be able to drive myself to and from work now. No one else will have to drive me. While I appreciate everything my family has done for me in this regard, I am so excited to be able to have my independence back.
4. The transition from walker to walking by myself is mostly a mental one, and my surgeon says due to everything I've been through, the mental part will likely be the hardest.

I can't wait to get back my independence. I'm not going to Disneyland, but I AM going to freaking Jack In the Box!!!!

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1313 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:47 AM »
This weekend I have moved ever closer to full independence. I was finally able to commence driving after taking my car in for inspection, maintenance, and repairs after it had been sitting for 9 months. It is so wonderful to be able to regain mobility and independence after living in purgatory for the past 9 months. My dad, uncle, and my mom can take their well-earned breaks from driving me to and from work every morning and evening.

I'm never going bowling again, thank you very much.

Offline laurencars

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1314 on: June 23, 2017, 09:50:07 PM »
Hi Everyone,

It's been six (6) months, since I ruptured my quadricep tendon.  Before the fall on black ice, that caused the accident, I was an active runner, completing 18 marathons. I recently finished PT at the beginning of June and my doc wants an MRI of my leg. Here's the issue, he thinks I  should be running already. I work out everyday, walking a mile, doing 20 minutes on the stationery bike, and 5 pound leg weights. At the gym, I do 100 steps on the stairmaster, walking fast 2 miles on the treadmill, and leg presses plus a slow jog in the pool for 30 minutes. I cannot totally straighten my leg at this point, nor run. Walking downhills is still and issue as are steps. I want to run eventually. My concern is the leg straightening-it's almost but about a 2 inch drop. Also, I have a limp now. All you other folks who have had this issue, am I where I suppose to be?     

Best regards to everyone,

laurencars

Offline destroyedbothtendons

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #1315 on: June 27, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »
laurencars,

Please get the MRI.  I did the double a little more than 3 1/2 years ago.  The center section of the repair on my left knee did not heal properly and they had to go back in.  I had several similarities to what you describe.  Not matter what I did I couldn't get my left leg to the same place as my right leg.  After about 13 months I went back to my ortho and that is when the MRI revealed the "re-tear".   After getting a 2nd surgery and 30 more trips to PT my left leg has caught up somewhat.  I still can't run but that probably has more to do with my age (54) and the extra 30-40 pounds I am carrying around.  I can golf, bowl and do most other activities without any discomfort or issues.  I just wish I found the 2nd problem 6 months sooner.  Nothing like trying to rehab something that needs surgical repair.

Good Luck and stay positive.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 01:57:16 PM by destroyedbothtendons »
Bilateral Quadriceps Tendon Rupture 12/19/13.
Surgery 12/21/13
Quad Tendon Revision Repair Left Leg 4/1/15

Offline Barrjoe

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #1316 on: June 29, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »
3X right quad rupture here. All within 5 months between November and March  last winter. The first 2 ruptures I knew right when I did them , but the 3rd time I don't have a clue. First indication that something wasn't right was my inability to do a leg raise. Something you might keep in mind, Laura.

Getting my left (good) knee replaced mid July then dealing with a Quad tendon later in the year.

Beet of luck

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1317 on: July 03, 2017, 10:42:47 AM »
Hi Everyone,

It's been six (6) months, since I ruptured my quadricep tendon.  Before the fall on black ice, that caused the accident, I was an active runner, completing 18 marathons. I recently finished PT at the beginning of June and my doc wants an MRI of my leg. Here's the issue, he thinks I  should be running already. I work out everyday, walking a mile, doing 20 minutes on the stationery bike, and 5 pound leg weights. At the gym, I do 100 steps on the stairmaster, walking fast 2 miles on the treadmill, and leg presses plus a slow jog in the pool for 30 minutes. I cannot totally straighten my leg at this point, nor run. Walking downhills is still and issue as are steps. I want to run eventually. My concern is the leg straightening-it's almost but about a 2 inch drop. Also, I have a limp now. All you other folks who have had this issue, am I where I suppose to be?     

Best regards to everyone,

laurencars

Hi Lauren,

I am sorry to hear about your injury. For me, it has been through hell and back and I wouldn't this kind of injury on anyone. Long story short, I completely tore my right quad tendon on 8/28/2016. Had surgery to repair it on 9/21. Surgery wound turned necrotic. Necrotic skin was removed 11/22. Had to keep my leg straight with an immobilizer brace on from 9/21/2016 to 2/5/2017, when I could finally bend my knee. I could FINALLY take off my immobilizer brace fully on 5/1/2017. I have just this past week started walking on my own again without assistance, but still feel a bit wobbly and can only go short distances at the moment without my walker. Thankfully, every week now I am regaining more and more of my independence. I have finally started driving again as of two weeks ago.

It's probably going to be another month of physical therapy before I can really regain some sense of normal. But for now, as much normal as I have been given is like a dream to me compared to what the past 9 months have been.

I am sorry I haven't answered your question, and that I have only answered your question with a post about my own complications which likely don't help matters.

I hope you continue to see progress on your journey back to normal.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1318 on: July 03, 2017, 10:44:14 AM »
laurencars,

Please get the MRI.  I did the double a little more than 3 1/2 years ago.  The center section of the repair on my left knee did not heal properly and they had to go back in.  I had several similarities to what you describe.  Not matter what I did I couldn't get my left leg to the same place as my right leg.  After about 13 months I went back to my ortho and that is when the MRI revealed the "re-tear".   After getting a 2nd surgery and 30 more trips to PT my left leg has caught up somewhat.  I still can't run but that probably has more to do with my age (54) and the extra 30-40 pounds I am carrying around.  I can golf, bowl and do most other activities without any discomfort or issues.  I just wish I found the 2nd problem 6 months sooner.  Nothing like trying to rehab something that needs surgical repair.

Good Luck and stay positive.

I agree. Get the MRI. Better to get confirmation of what's wrong than go another day wondering. I know I'd rather have that confirmation - at least you know what it is and what the treatment / outlook is going to be like.

Offline TurboCoder3000

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #1319 on: July 04, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
3X right quad rupture here. All within 5 months between November and March  last winter. The first 2 ruptures I knew right when I did them , but the 3rd time I don't have a clue. First indication that something wasn't right was my inability to do a leg raise. Something you might keep in mind, Laura.

Getting my left (good) knee replaced mid July then dealing with a Quad tendon later in the year.

Beet of luck

Geeeeeeze, barrjoe - I can't imagine another one let alone three quad tendon ruptures. You've been through hell and back three times. I'm sorry to hear.

I hope recovery will come for you sooner rather than later, although I can imagine at this stage it may just seem like empty platitudes rather than something that can actually happen!

Best of luck sir!

Advertisement

support