Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: How do I get rid of this fluid on my knee?  (Read 13122 times)

Offline rdk315

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
How do I get rid of this fluid on my knee?
« on: June 03, 2003, 11:55:27 PM »
 ??? Hi, my name is Rhonda.  On April the 6th I was in a car accident.  My right knee was slammed into the dashboard.  I was rushed to the hospital and was told there were no broken bones. I do not have medical insurance and now almost a month later I still have a large pocket of fluid on my knee that will not go away.  I was wondering if perhaps anyone knew any way for me to get rid of this fluid without medical attention.  My job requires long hours on my feet and the pain from my knee has prevented me from being able to stand for long periods of time.  Please someone help me.  What do I do?????

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 4
    • Check out my photography!
Re: How do I get rid of this fluid on my knee?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 12:18:52 AM »
There's only one way to get rid of swelling, and even that won't work if you have an underlying condition.  It's called RICE--rest, ice, compression (like an ace bandage) and elevation (above the level of your heart).  Anti-inflammatories like Advil or Aleve can help as well, but you should consult a doctor as the dosing is dependent on a lot of things.

Were you seen by an orthopedic surgeon?  Did you have x-rays and an MRI after the accident?  Did anyone discuss the possibility of damage to your articular cartilage?  I would have this seen to by a specialized knee surgeon.  If you do it soon, it can still be considered treatment from the accident--if the wreck was the fault of another driver, you can get their insurance to cover your treatment, whether you were a passenger or a driver.

I know it feels like your options are limited because you don't have insurance.  And it could be that your knee is just taking a long time to heal and has been aggravated by your job.  But the only way to be sure is to see a doctor.  Check with your auto insurance and that of the other driver (if there was one) so you understand what your options are.

Good luck.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline robthe_gashead

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
  • If thats Penfold wheres DANGER MOUSE?
Re: How do I get rid of this fluid on my knee?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 01:35:46 PM »
Also just for the relief of the fluid problem, Try some massage therapy. I can help to spread the fluid around and hopefully disperse it, If that fails, get a red biro and ram it into the side of your knee while sitting ontop of a sink! fluid will leave that way but it's probably the wrong fluid!!

Take care anyway

Shrek!
Im big green and smelly! if it was me Youd be DEAD! Who am i? Also Leg kicked at slight left to front causing Torn ACL and meniscus, been waiting 6 months still have no date for surgury! oh. im Shrek!

support