Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bone Bruise Info  (Read 5897 times)

Offline moppy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Bone Bruise Info
« on: October 14, 2006, 03:31:26 AM »
Hi all,

I have posted a few times over the last 6 months for an ongoing knee problem. starting at the begening i injured my left knee in march of this year coming down off a platform with a twisting action, first saw os in aprill who suspected a mensicus tear and ordered a mri also in aprill i had a fall down the stairs where my knee was bent back and forced to the side afterwards very painfull to weightbear to fully extend and to bend. I had the mri in july which  showed bone bruise but no mensicus tear.  Saw os again in august who said he could do nothing surgicaly with the bone bruise but has i still have knee pain he would go in and have a look around. Had knee arthroscopy this past monday and found out from the nurse afterwards that everything was normal. Has anyone had a bone bruise last this long and still cause problems like squating and not being able to bend knee all the way back although the knee is better than a few months ago i am suprised that nothing was found. I have been given home exercises to do and a follow up appointment with my os in 6 weeks which i assume will send me to pt has that is the only option left. To anyones knowledge on this board if a mensicus tear exists but does not show on the surface would the surgeon still find it has eversince the injury i have had clicking which is heard sometimes when wheight bearing from bent to straight it clicks fully straight and all the time when i whieght bear bend and straighten in one motion. sorry for the long post but i am at a loss as to what to do now.
Thank's for reading and if anyones been in the same situation please reply.

THANK'S.

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Bone Bruise Info
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 09:38:41 AM »
Bone bruise take long time to heal and if you're knee is swollen inside you can feel discomfort like clicking. I would try follow docs orders and let time heal it.
You can also always get a second opinion if you feel unsure about this doc.
Usually they are able to see everything when they go into the knee.
Maybe your pt can help you out with different treatments like ultrasound.
Wish you best of luck.

HUGS NETTAN  8)
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline ninjagirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 10:20:24 PM »
Hi,
  I am in a similar situation.  I have had an MRI after an injury and was told it's bruised very badly. My thigh bone and tibial plateau. What exactly of yours are they saying bruised? I have not had an anthroscopy done.    I was just curious what was bruised of your bones in your knee?

Thanks!

Offline moppy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 02:44:13 AM »
Thank's for the reply.
I do not know exactly where the bone bruise is i should have asked my os but being from the uk i think they only tell you the minimum my os only told me i had a bone bruise with swelling and inflamation how long ago did you injury your knee are your symptoms starting to ease up. do you know if a person sustained a bone bruise and had a bone difencey of some kind then it could still be causing me problems.

Offline ninjagirl

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 04:51:30 PM »
Hi, my injury happened 5 weeks ago.  My problems are easing up to a point. I can walk around better now, but not 100%.   I have a limp b/c i cannot straighten my leg all the way. I cannot bend it all the way either--- without pain. The pain I feel when I do bend it is right down the middle of my knee (but deep inside the knee).  I am a lot better than I was 4 weeks ago, but still no where near 100%.    My knee gives out. It'll either buckle forward or I feel it fling itself backwards, which is irritating. It also pops a lot which is painful when it happens.

I don't know anymore about this injury.  I am learning too.  ;D 

Let me know what happens as I am curious what you find out. I'd ask your doc what exactly is bruised.

Offline moppy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 01:21:20 AM »
Hi ninjagirl,

From what iv'e been able to find out on the net about bone bruises is , It is the most painfull of all the bruises, symptoms can last for several months and on one site it said up to a year don't know if thats realiable thought and on another site i think i found by google search bone bruise some argentine scientists gave 12 dogs bone bruises and as little as 6 months after articular cartilage damage was found in a few, althought i have found no site relating to the long term effects of a bone bruise in humans has most of them say that nothing was known untill mri became widly used, a few sites have stated the significance of bone bruising with acl tear. hope this info is useful to you.
Found that website:
www.ispub.com/ostia/index.php?xmlFilePath=journals/ijra/vol4n1/trauma.xml
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 01:58:31 AM by moppy »

Offline lj8808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 04:01:04 AM »
HI---I had an MRI 4 months after an impact like knee injury and it showed a bone bruise and bone edema of the femoral condyle and tibial plateau, also a mild sprain of the MCL.  In my case it also showed a simple linear tear of the posterior meniscus.  My pain was pretty bad at first, then eased up, now it is like a stinging sensation that comes and goes.  The pain is located right where the bones that are bruised come together.  I don't know if the pain I feel on occasion is from the bone bruise or the meniscus tear.  I don't want to rush into surgery as the MRI already shows arthritis and I am 49 yrs old now.  I also read that bone bruises take a very long time to heal. 

Offline moppy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 12:42:26 AM »
Hi i was wondering since you have a bone bruise as well if you sit or lye with your knee bent to 90 degree or more for 5-10 minutes are the first 5 or so steps of walking more painfull then if your leg remains straight.  this is only something iv'e discovered in the past week and i can't think why it is so much more painfull keeping knee bent and not when its straight. whould you happen to know whether when a knee is bent not weightbearing do the bones in the knee touch and put presure on each other.

Offline contraaclr

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 12:52:05 AM »
HI---I had an MRI 4 months after an impact like knee injury and it showed a bone bruise and bone edema of the femoral condyle and tibial plateau, also a mild sprain of the MCL.  In my case it also showed a simple linear tear of the posterior meniscus.  My pain was pretty bad at first, then eased up, now it is like a stinging sensation that comes and goes.  The pain is located right where the bones that are bruised come together.  I don't know if the pain I feel on occasion is from the bone bruise or the meniscus tear.  I don't want to rush into surgery as the MRI already shows arthritis and I am 49 yrs old now.  I also read that bone bruises take a very long time to heal. 

The pain comes from the bone bruises, and you are right it takes a long time to heal. That is what I was told from two different doctors after my ACL/meniscus/bone bruises injury. The meniscus could heal on its own, so there is no need to rush into surgery.
RK:ACL tear (pulled from femoral attachment)+Posterior horn meniscus vertical tear, 05/05,
RK:Meniscus tear healed with Prolotherapy + HGH, 09/05-03/06
RK:Contralateral ACLR+LR+Medial Plica Removal, 07/06
LK:Harvested 1/3 patella tendon fully healed/regrown w/ Prolotherapy 10/06-12/06.

Offline lj8808

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006, 04:52:17 AM »
When I sit with my leg bent 90 or more, it does hurt sometimes when I stand up for a few steps.  It is much better now, but when I first injured it, I could feel the bones crunch when I would get out of bed, it was a real creepy feeling.  The femur and tibia do not touch when the leg is bent, at least I don't think so.  Weight bearing is when the bones touch the most.  I have been doing a lot of leg exercises that my family doctor gave me to keep the quads and calf strong.  These have really helped.  I used a lot of ice on it over the summer, still do if it starts to sting, sometimes I use those thermacare heat wraps. 

Offline JawsOLife

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 09:31:59 AM »
I've been recovering from a deep bone bruise on my femoral condyle for over 8.5 months now... My PT and doc say it could be another 4-6 months  before it is better enough to start working out again on it.  I was on crutches for 5 months... they can take a long time to heal.  Good luck with everything!

Offline snick

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 07:49:49 AM »
I hurt my knee 2 years ago while digging ditch. I ran and it hurt a bit. Ran some more and it hurt more. Ran again and it really hurt. I took 6 weeks off. Then I tried running again. No way. I stopped. The pain would come and go. Eventually I went to an OS and he told me I had arthritis. I went to another and he did an MRI. It showed a tear in my medial meniscus, some subchondral fissuring of the tibial plateau and bone marrow edema. I interpret that to be a bone bruise. It has been bad on and off. I went and had it scoped. He cleaned out the tear. I had some mild chondromalacia. That was a month ago. I'm doing well, but the bone bruise still hurts. It's been over 2 years now since it first happened. It has been really tough, limping and hurting very badly at times. I'm hoping it heels. I think walking down hills has been the worst. I pray that it heals itself. I'm going to try water exercises more to give my knee a break. It's hard to rest it having a wife and kids and a yard and ahouse, etc.

From my experience if it is indeed a bone bruise, it can take a long time to heal. I'm still waiting.

Offline nualini

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »
Hi Folks,  Is it always necessary to use crutches when you have a bone bruise.  I had an MRI recently which shows bruising and possible stress fracture of the anterior tibial plateau.  I am resing as much as possible at the moment but from time to time I have to walk and I dont use crutches.  The pain is no joke!!

Offline ajpahl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 08:23:22 PM »
I would think if you can tolerate it, maybe you don't need to use the crutches..but weight bearing that much might cause more pain.  I have bone bruises too after a fall with dislocation.  I'm only two weeks out, and am not to thrilled with the thought of this taking months to heal.  I was told I could bear weight with my immobilizer but I feel like it's really unstable and so won't try it without crutches yet.  My plan is to work toward only one crutch soon.