Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: partial meniscopy??  (Read 3504 times)

Offline bec77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
partial meniscopy??
« on: September 25, 2006, 03:53:56 PM »
hi everyone, i have a problem wiyh my knee which seems to be getting worse and worse,and now i can hardly walk!  Me and my dog had a collision about a year ago (whilst i was wearing high heels) and things have never been the same since.
there was no crunch during the incident and no swelling afterwards yet it really hurt to put my weight on it so i rested for a couple of weeks and then went to the doctors. He told me that i had torn my hamstring?! and i had to do straight leg lift exercises .
after getting home i found these exercises were sooooo painful ,but i tried my best, at this time i could still walk and go to work on my knee yet it would collapse in a sharp pain occasionally whilst walking and it would go all stiff in the evernings.
i went back to the doctors as it got worse and worse and she said that i needed an mri scan but would have to wait seven months!
i persisted on with painkillers until one weeek when i think i just pushed it too far walking too and from and at my work as a nursey nurse every day. i was also worried that i might fall over and squash a child! anyway it came to a point when i couldnt put any weight on it any more and couldnt straiten my leg and ao had to walk with it bent. i went back to doctors and she said i should go to the hospital accident and emergancy, which i did the next day.
the OA there said that he thought i had chrondomalacia which worried me alot as my symptoms are quite severe.  then he made me an appointment with another OA . i waited a month durin which time i could not walk at any speed and got a sarp horrible pain all the time,and i also noticed that i was walking now with my leg bent inwards. The next OA said that i had to have my knee "cleaned up"? and a possible partial meniscomy, which was totally different news to the first OA.
i am now waiting for an anthroscopy(which has just been moved back another week to 2 november) and i am getting more and more worried about my poor knee. I can no longer walk any distance ,and my children have to take themselves to and from school,as i have no car, and i havnt even been to a shop for over 2 months now (thank god for my husband) and when i do walk i look bent it hurts and i am slow. the pain is on straightening my knee and not bending it and i really need to know what is wrong.
everybody i know says it will be better after this operation,but i am very worried that it wont as i havnt had my mri scan yet and no one really knows what is wrong. in the other posts here reguarding meniscus tears the pain always seems to be upon bending the knee but mine is on straightening, and i cannot even do 1 straight leg lift now, it just wont do it anymore and is hurting on just lying it straight. 
if anyone has any ideas on what my symptoms could be meaning and how much longer this could carry on even after my operation or have gone through the same thing themselves i would be very grateful to here from you as this has been going on a year now and all my normal life including my job now has stopped because of this.and i just want to get back to moving so i can play with my boys(7+9) again and get back to some normality in life.   

Offline stevemeniscus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: partial meniscopy??
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 06:44:13 PM »
Hi there,

Firstly do your best to keep your spirits up - I know this is easier said than done as I am feeling a bit glum right now - but this board does help you realise you are not the only one struggling.  I know that 'not knowing what is wrong' can be the most frustrating thing.  But the reality is until you have a mri it is difficult to tell what the issues is (x-rays only tell you about breaks really).  You might well find it is an issue other than the meniscus as quite often these happen after a twist.... you didn't mention whether this happened with you dog although I guess on heels......  Also there is usually some swelling a day or two later after a meniscus injury....

So my advice would be - wait for the diagnosis and only do some very basic quad exercises (knee guru is great for this) as keeping the strength really helps the recovery.

fyi - I had a bucket handle tear were a piece of the meniscus got trapped in the joint.  Thus I felt a lot of pain on extending the leg and not on bending it!!!!  So I guess it all depends on the type of meniscus damage.

Good luck!

Offline bec77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »
thankyou for your reply, you are right ,the worst thing about it all is not knowing whats going on,but this place is great at helping you feel not alone.
The accident happened when i was wearing heels and standing against a wall, my large dog just backed up fast into my knee which i expect wass fully extended thanks to the high heels,then it real hurt
one of my major worries is that i am not going to get an mri before my anthroscopy,so i dont know what could be wrong in there in the slightest,or what there going to do,yet i am against waiting any longer for anything as i really want this all over and done with.
thanks for the information u have given me concerning your tear, this has put me in the mind that my os did know what he was talking about and this could be all over before i realise, i hope you are ok now and i appreciate your kind words

Offline jtroc67

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »
Hi Bec77,

Given your situation, the arthroscopic surgery is your best bet.  Make sure your OS is very skilled, recommended etc. in problems with arthritis and meniscus injuries and he/she should know what to do once they get in there.

It doesn't sound like there's much you can do with your knee in its current state so I think surgery is your best bet.

Good luck and keep us posted!

-JT

P.S. The MRI doesn't always show the problem so the scope will be much better for diagnosis as well.
PFS in right knee since 3/27/05
Grade III Chondromalacia diagnosed 7/18/05
Chondroplasty and meniscus repair 2/2/06
Partial medial meniscetomy, chondroplasty & scar tisssue removal 1/17/08

Offline bec77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 02:02:19 PM »
hi its me again,
can someone please tell me how long it takes to recover from an meniscomy,the best and worst case scenerio   please
    thanks

Offline stevemeniscus

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »
Hi Bec,

Would be really keen to know myself....  think it may be a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' scenario...  it comes down to so many factors - how much removed, damage done already, how swiftly it has been acted upon, age, strenght of your legs, how good your PT is etc etc.....  I am now 4 weeks post op and having to work from home again after making an early good recovery but having now overdone things.

If anyone can give you a good answer I would be really keen to know.

Good luck to you with any surgery etc you have done.

Offline bec77

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 09:58:28 PM »
thanks steve, ooo this uncertainty isnt good, hope things get better for you soon