Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: 3 weeks post op - why knee feels still so warm ?!?!  (Read 3696 times)

Offline ChrisAngel

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Never grow up :)
3 weeks post op - why knee feels still so warm ?!?!
« on: August 26, 2006, 10:48:39 PM »
Hi!

Link to previous topic about my recovery here
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=29830.30

I had arthroscopy 3 weeks ago, plica removal and scar tissue cleanup. Been having troubles with the rehab, about which can be read from the topic-link above.

The knee is still swollen, so I had it drained last Wednesday. Nice amount of fluid was gotten out, but joint is still swollen. And feels warm. There is no redness or visible sign of infection. The 3 scope holes all look nice and neat.

Should I be concerned, or is it normal for the knee to feel warm still 3 weeks post op?

Chris
*~
31 young :)
RemovePlica
-L 12/98+R 9/99
RemoveScartissue
-L&R 4/04
RemovePlica&scartissue
-L 8/06 ->R postponed for now (need to find a new surgeon..*sigh*)
*Fibromyalgia+CPS+Acid Reflux+Tietze's syndrome+CFS+depression*

Offline Teresa_S

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: 3 weeks post op - why knee feels still so warm ?!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 02:09:07 AM »
I think somebody answered this question in your other post. THe knee still has inflammation, and when used, may still get warm and swell, especially until you do enough physical therapy to turn it around and decrease the swelling. Swelling is a sign or inflammation.WHat meds are you on. Are you taking an NSAID? I think that many many peole concentrate on the place they have surgery too much, and feel, or concentrate on every lilttle symptom beyond its significance. IF you have red, hot swollen knee with streaking, or drainging , running a fever, etc. (check the instructions you got post op) then contact your OS about a possible infection. THey can culture what is draining or do a blood count, or culture if there is an infection. Depending on what meds you are already taking you could try some Nsaid,ibuprofen, for example, and see if that helps, it could help the pain too. I have had multiple scopes for every reason under the sun and was told to start weight bearing the next day as tolerated, and after a failed total knee I still walk relatively well, according to PT, because I was determined I would. As we know pain is subjective, but it does not have to control us. I truly understand pain, as I have dealt with it for many many years, and it still increases. As far as the fluid be drawn off, I know that where the needle is  placed is often sore, I got mine done several times up to 30-50ml at a time or more. The steroid injections always make me sore for a few days afterwards.

I know that others have told you this, but why not do PT as instructed, and after a week see how it goes, rather than concentrating on each and every movement, resulting pain, and other symptoms. See if that can help. As far as a walker, they have their own horrors, like the crutches. I used crutches for over 6 months ofor a pinned ankle and decided the pain the crutches caused was worse than the ankle pain. Take meds 30 minutes before PT, and then do the PT and then when just sitting ice and elevate, but not all the time. I know it hurts to move, and what  most of us do is make ourselves get started, and as the joint limbers up, it becomes more pliable and easy to move. Most OS are of the opinion that they operate, and you do the recovery. I wish you luck, but you will have to make your own outcome. It is much HARDER and MORE PAINFUL to get a joint to move after months of babying it and barely moving it.  I don't do stairs well, and by the time I do 6 or so, I can barely stand to do more, but I make my self get that knee up there for the remaining 6. IT is your decision, but we are just trying to give you the benefit of our experiences.  Sometimes , usually, in fact, PT DOES make it hurt more, but in the long run, well functioning muscles, not flaccid , are the key to recovery.Teresa
On going instrumentation failure, chronic infection,
Arthroscopes Left 11 Right 2, MRSA, L TKR  ,  Revision, LR x5, Medial and lateral meniscus repair, Broken prosthesis
Osteochondral Fracture,untreated 6 mths. Revision new tkr 01-07 awaiting new hip and right knee
R TKR pending

Offline Kai

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 03:10:48 AM »
I am 12 1/2 weeks post op and I still have heat, swelling...  still icing every morning and night and after activity....   its a big deal digging around in the knee...  takes a long time...
ACLR - (patellar BTB autograft) left knee - May 31, 2006
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Feb 20, 2008
Partial Lateral Meniscectomy right knee Aug 11, 2008

Offline SuburbanLife

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:26:50 PM »
I am 17 months post op on a total knee replacement and my knee still feels warm, I can still warm my hands on my knee on a cold morning. My conclsuion, a knee being warm is of no concern most of the time.
Good luck!
Lisa
March 2005-Total Knee Replacement

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 05:43:21 PM »
I was wondering kinda the same. I was on my feet a lot yesterday at 17 weeks post op aclr, on the drive home, I noticed my knee felt warm to the touch and other knee was cold. Probably still swells some inside. Yep, digging arouind in a large joint like this must surely have some long lasting affects.
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

Offline Limping Welshman

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 11:56:05 PM »
I am 8-9 years post op on left knee (aclr) and after exercise my knee still gets hot! I just ice for twenty minutes and no problem!
Snapped ACL left leg (rugby) 1991
4 meniscal repairs while waiting for MRI
Acl recon 1997 (patella tendon)
Infection post op (3 more athroscopic jobbies)
lcl sprain to right knee (incorrect diagnosis)
Right acl snapped August 06
ACLR To right knee (hamstring) June 7th 07

support