Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knee is "catching" during flexion  (Read 5592 times)

Offline Gogfather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee is "catching" during flexion
« on: August 15, 2006, 07:02:33 PM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone's had their knee "catch" when trying to go from full extension to 90 degrees. I'm 6 weeks post-op from an ACL repair with a lateral meniscus repair. I have about 0-120 degrees ROM and am walking without crutches. The only problem I have is when I reach about 45 degrees of flexion I feel a bunch of pressure at my knee joint (right in the middle front ) when bending. If I just bend it past that pointslowly, the pressure releases and it's fine.

If it put my hand over the source of the pain, I can feel something releasing forward when the pressure lets go. It's not painful, but there's somthing moving in there when I bendI still have some swelling at the knee area so I'm wondering if this might be a side-effect of the swelling and will go away once the swelling subsides. Might it be loose cartilage or my knee isn't tracking properly?

It only happens if I go from full-extension to a bend. If I start from 5 degrees to a bend, I don't get it. Almost like locking out my knee in full extension is moving something in my knee.

2006 Knee dislocation L knee ( skateboarding )
 - torn ACL - reconstructed
 - injured MCL, PCL
 - complex lateral meniscus tear - repaired
 - tibial plateau fracture
1996 ACL rupture - reconstructed ( snowboarding )

Offline sharshar

• Regular Poster
  • San Francisco, CA Baltimore, MD
Re: Knee is "catching" during flexion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:36:25 PM »
I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM!

I'm 7 months post-op and unfortunately, I don't know what the reason for the catching is. It was much worse earlier in my recovery, when my muscles were weaker. By subsequently strengthening them, the catching doesn't happen as often, but it still occurs every now and then.

Some people have mistracking of their patella due to muscular weakness, but in my case, the patella doesn't seem to be the thing that is catching. Have you checked to see if it's your patella? I'm quite dumbfounded at the moment as to what it could be...hopefully someone else has any ideas? I'm glad I'm not the only one in this boat!
January 2006 - left knee: ACLR (allograft), partial lateral meniscectomy (~20% trimmed)

June 2007 - left knee: lateral meniscectomy (~5% trimmed), medial meniscectomy (~5% trimmed)

Offline Gogfather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 11:53:33 PM »
At least it's good to hear I'm not the only one but this kind of thing sucks. It's going to make me think a little when I return to sports. Right now it happens quite frequently when I walk and if I ignore the pressure and just move my knee through the "catch", I feel a pop and then it's back to normal. It's not painful, just annoying.

I see you've almost got the same injury as me. Did you get your lateral meniscus repaired or cut away? I got mine repaired, which might be some part of the problem. I'm hoping my ctaching will get better as I exercise and the swelling goes away completely. I just hate having to walk so slowly because of this. Everything else feels fine except there's always this thought in the back of my head that it's going to catch again.

This ACLR is definitely alot harder to rehab than the last one I did, but then again I'm 10 years older and I did quite a number on this knee than the other one.

Cheers!
 - injured MCL, PCL

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 12:28:48 AM »
I have a similar problem, although I'm not sure it's exactly what you're describing. I feel like the bottom of my patella is getting caught in the patella tendon. It only happens if I go from full extension, even a little hyperextension, and is worse when weight bearing. I usually stand with my leg bent slightly to prevent it. If I stand still with my leg straight and with weight on that leg, it will "catch." I usually have to take the weight off by lifting from the hip and wiggle my knee around to get it to release.

It used to be worse when my quads were really weak. My OS tells me he thinks it is catching on the articular cartilege defect on the back of my patella. I make accommodations for it and live around it.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline sharshar

• Regular Poster
  • San Francisco, CA Baltimore, MD
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 05:03:47 AM »
I had part of my lateral meniscus trimmed. I WISH I got it repaired...it would save me the agony of wondering if every little impact exercise is moving one step closer to early-onset arthritis. The catching isn't where it was trimmed though, so I'm not sure if the meniscus trimming is part of the problem.

I mentioned that something was shifting in my knee to my OS and pointed to where I felt it (in the front of the knee below the kneecap), and he said it could be a meniscus tear and suggested getting an MRI. I'm on summer break from college right now, so going through more knee issues/surgeries is definitely not on my priority list right now. We decided to just keep exercising and strengthening it to see if it gets better. I highly doubt it's a meniscus tear, since I didn't really do any heavy exercise and there is no pain accompanied with the shifting.

I really wish we knew what's causing our symptoms!
January 2006 - left knee: ACLR (allograft), partial lateral meniscectomy (~20% trimmed)

June 2007 - left knee: lateral meniscectomy (~5% trimmed), medial meniscectomy (~5% trimmed)

Offline Gogfather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 09:24:40 AM »
Wow, Janet's knee kind of sounds like mine too. Mine totally gets worse after leaving my knee straight for a while. I don't want to have to compensate for it so I guess I'll just have to try and smooth out the bumps by exercising. Sounds like muscle strength is key to a better prognosis.
 - injured MCL, PCL

Offline CathR

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 02:24:00 PM »
Hi guys

Have only just come across this post and it is exactly what I am experiencing at 7 weeks post ACLr.  As a few weeks have passed since you wrote I wondered if anything had happened, is it easier now, have you spoken to OS about it? I am seeing my OS on Thursday and am going  to mention it then.

Kind Regards

Offline Gogfather

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 10:04:23 PM »
well, I'm now 3 months post-ACLR and the catching has gotten alot better. My OS said it was mostly due to my quad strength. Tighten up the quads and it will pull the patella up and relieve the catching. So far it's felling pretty good but I'm still not walking with a full extension. I can get full extension in my exercises but not by merely tightening my quads. I notice at the last few degrees of extension, there is considerably more clicking occuring when I straighten it out.

I think I'm going to step up the physio and try to work out the kinks. Swimming has helped quite a bit.
 - injured MCL, PCL

Offline laura26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 12:24:42 PM »
This is EXACTLY what I am getting at the moment!  So relieved someone else in the world has experienced the same thing!  Don't suppose any of you are using this forum anymore...but if you are - have all of your knees made a full recovery??
ACL complete rupture playing lacrosse - 13th October 2009
ACLr (hamstring autograft) - 17th June 2010

Offline likewoa2007

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 03:49:52 PM »
I have that problem still but its easing up.  The reason is caused by  having a weak quadricep.   It gets better dont worry.  Its because the quad is weak and your knee is doing all the work.   
Hope that helps

Offline laura26

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »
Yeah that helps!  My physio suggesting it might be a tracking problem connected to the weakness of my quads but I've been unsure because it doesn't seem to be getting any better!  Walking is really slow because - when I walk properly in 'heel to toe, extension to flexion' action - the leg catches (at about 45 degrees) and I have to wait a bit for it to push through and bend.  Such a relief other people have had the same problem though.
ACL complete rupture playing lacrosse - 13th October 2009
ACLr (hamstring autograft) - 17th June 2010