Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lawsuits for a tibial plateau fracture  (Read 4717 times)

Offline garythegreat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lawsuits for a tibial plateau fracture
« on: August 01, 2006, 02:11:33 AM »
I broke my Tibeal Plateau playing a soccer match in an indoor astro turf pitch, I tripped up over the penalty spot which wasnt set into the ground properly.

Im taking a case against them but im just wondering roughly howe much would one get for a TPF (was a type 5 resulting in 2 weeks in hospita, 2 surgeriesl and a lot of hardware in my leg), bearing in mind artritus is a certainty in the future and a possaiblity of totla knee replacement?

Anyone any experiences?

Offline DEB 1

• Regular Poster
Re: Lawsuits for a tibial plateau fracture
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 04:23:26 PM »
ask for a Billion dollars, for all the pain and suffering!!  good luck to you

Deb 1
slipped on wet kitchen floor
tpf 12-08-05
surgery 12-21-05
nwb for 96 days
plate and screws

Offline *Tiffany

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Never too late to be what you might have been.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 04:37:56 PM »
Wow,
wonder what the limit is for lifelong injury to one leg.  I think workmans comp has some guildlines you can look at.  Not sure how or where, but they have maximum settlement amounts for just about everything. 

Good luck and hope things work out. 

Darn
Tiffany
dislocations  age 8/Bi-lateral releases
Arthroscopies, patella resurfacing 
Bi lateral TTT / screw removals 
 Bilateral/LOA/ lateral release
Bilateral PFJR 2005
Repeated Retinacular Plication
TKR and Revision #1/16/07
TKR and Revision #2  6/19/07
TKR Revision #3 8/17/10
Patellectomy next?

Offline Fille

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 09:31:20 PM »
Good luck with your case! I'd definitely try it if it wasn't your fault.

I doubt I'd be able to sue in my case. Unless you can sue for 'acts of nature'? :)
29/03/06 - fall winter climbing, Scotland. TPF - comminuted! 02/04/06 - surgery: buttress plate and six pins 13/04/06 - NWB Full leg cast with hinged knee 23/04/06 - Cast off. PWB + rigid knee brace and elbow crutches 15/08/06 - FWB+physio 22/11/06 - physio suspended while at uni, climbing again :)

Offline garythegreat

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:51:51 AM »
Ye the lawyer says il should get a nice sum of money but he doesnty know how much until im finished getting all my medical examinations. It was 20% my fault apparently and 80% their fault.

Id say il get between 50,000-70,000 euros, but im havent a clue thats just a guess!

Offline kimmyxs

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 03:24:34 AM »
I sued a grocery store for my original dislocation that was caused by water on the concrete outside the building near a food cart. It was leaking water.  I was originally told that I would have a decent sum of money, but I ended up - after the lawyer was piad, with enough to cover my loss of work during my recuperation.  In the US, it is rare to make much more than is shown from loss of work - unless you have unlimited money to pay a lawyer.

I was pleased, but don't count on any money until you can count your money.  I believe that in the US, this error may have been considered a reasonable problem and the athlete should be aware of the risks.  That said let us all agree that astro turf is horrible on knees even if it is properly laid.
6/03/89 - First Knee Cap Disclocation
7/05/89 - Returned to work
6/17/06 - Tramatic Knee Cap Dislocation and Vertical Fractured Patella
6/28/06 - ORIF - Screws - no wires
8/24/06 - Ditched the brace - start PT
9/20/06 - First spinning
1/15/07 - screw removal, LR , VMO Advanc  & patella cleanupl

Offline Kathy G

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I'm no longer 10 - but my life isn't over yet!!
    • My Broken Leg Diary
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2006, 01:55:41 AM »
Have you tried to get your lawyer to negotiate a financial settlement with the folks who own the stadium? I would go that route first before outright suing. I have read on this site and others where suits have drug out for what seems a lengthy time only to result in a small or minimal judgment. I guess I am of the frame of mind to try to work things out first by negotiation or mediation before going the lawsuit route. Anyhow, you have to do what you have to do. So all the best to you whatever you decide to do! ;D
Tib Plateau fx right leg 9/14/02; ORIF w/L-plate, 8 screws. 10 years and counting. MY DIARY -http://www.mybrokenleg.com/kathy

Offline Wardster

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 07:01:14 PM »
I seriously thought about suing the family who was standing on the trail when I crashed, but I am not really sure its worth it anymore.  In fact, my laundry list of who to sue included the resort and home owners association because the trail was not properly marked.  I still have until the end of the year to decide, but I doubt that I will do anything considering the fact that I am better than 95%.  Putting a family through the hell of a lawsuit won't make my leg any better anyways.

-Wardster
2/19 Fell Skiing in Utah - TPF and Surgery 2-Screws/NWB
2/20 Sent Home to Ohio
2/21 - 3/7 CPM
4/4 Partial Weight Bearing (5#)
4/18 Partial Weight Bearing (25#)
5/2 FWB
6/1 Released from Care
11/10 Hardware Removed

Offline shrunk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 06:08:29 PM »
Gary, I also broke mine , type 3 tibial plateau playing soccer 2 months ago. In New Zealand , and in many anglophone countries  disability is assessed ( when injury stabl e eg at 12 months ) by using American Medical Asscoaition  Guides to Evaluation of Permanant Impairment ( AMA Guides )
These guides give a figure for every injury  using a concept of Whole Person Impairment ...
The WPI for Tibial Plateau is 2% WPI for undisplaced fracture , and 10% for a displacement of 20 degrees

depebnding where you are , you get sweet FA for it, in NZ you woul dget a few thousand dolalrs maximum with a 20 angualtion that was permananer t at 12 months .....
but each country has its guides for pain ansd  suffering , loss of real income and so on

John

Offline BikeRider

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »
I was struck by a car while bicycling. (I'm in the USA) My patella was broken into several pieces. Pins and wire to put it back together. My doctor gave me a letter stating that I was 20% permanently impaired in my leg. It took just over one year to settle. Part due to the fact I had two surgeries before the doctor released me. I settled with the driver's insurance company for $300K. Lawyer of course got his 25%. I am now going back for hopefully my last surgery in a week to have the hardware removed. So, after one and a half years I am still having surgery and dealing with this thing. Hopefully all will go well, since I signed a release regarding the accident. If anything goes wrong during or after the surgery, I can't get anything else from the person that hit me. It is hard to go through all this..the pain, dealing with the insurance company...the recovery time...the fretting over whether to sue and then, how much is the right amount of money. The changes to your lifestyle.....I can no longer run like I loved to do. No more 10Ks. I am back cycling, but with pain afterwards. You cannot put a dollar figure on injury. I think someone said that a good settlement is when both parties are unhappy....the insurance think they paid too much and you think you didn't get enough. I am actually content with the money amount, but would give it all back for my knee being back to normal. What I learned from all this is make sure that you are insured to the hilt. If a non-insured person had hit me, I would have been screwed because I didn't have much insurance at the time. Good luck.

Offline huey_212

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2006, 12:50:57 PM »
I broke mine July, 11th 2005 on a poorly made basketball court that is run by the city's parks and recreation. If i could sue i would. it's been a little over a year and i still have pain daily not to mention my leg just locks up at the most inconvenient times. X-rays and MRI can not tell if anything else is wrong with my knee. The hardware distorts the Image so the only other thing to do is surgery.                Good luck

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 10:11:48 PM »
I broke my Tibeal Plateau playing a soccer match in an indoor astro turf pitch, I tripped up over the penalty spot which wasnt set into the ground properly.

Im taking a case against them but im just wondering roughly howe much would one get for a TPF (was a type 5 resulting in 2 weeks in hospita, 2 surgeriesl and a lot of hardware in my leg), bearing in mind artritus is a certainty in the future and a possaiblity of totla knee replacement?

Anyone any experiences?

Didn't you say on June 14,2007 that you broke your tibial plateau in a store when you tripped over a carpet?  So it appears that you have broken your tibial plateau twice last year - once playing soccer in an indoor soccer field - and once while tripping over a carpet at a store - as seen below on this link ... Wow, two tibial plateau fractures in one year ...

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37248.msg296614#msg296614

Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 11:29:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm confused too, since I saw the post about you wanting to sue for the same injury after tripping on a bit of carpet. Sounds like you're either a klutz or you're trying to sue anyone and everyone. Give it up.

Offline uufan

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 12:14:38 AM »
BikeRider
When doc gave you that paper?
My OS told me that I will get back 50% at most but my ROM is already better that they expected.
I guess I should get that paper from him as soon as possible.
Inna
3/16/07
R-TPF+PF+tibial midshaft+ankle in car wrack
3/21/07IM nail, plate, wire
5/3/07immoblizer off
ROM40-7
5/31/07PWB 65-7
6/18/0790-10
6/28/07WBAT
7/9/07100-10
7/26/07ok to drive
OS told me to loose crutches
8/8/07lost cane 100-5
OS said that i will never walk independemtly(not true)

Offline environmentalist

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Maybe this world is another planet's hell.
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 11:53:52 PM »
hi, i know it has been a long time since anyone write anything on this topic. i hit by car 8 months ago and broke my tpf. since then i have been looking for answers. i will write this anyway just incease anybody who desperate and hopeless as me might read. i live in Turkey so i am so unlucky. none understands me around here hell even lawyers, doctors. i am on my own. i am an engineer 25 yo since the accident my life like hell, i am in a lot of pain, i can't run. i am getting better but still it is too hard for me. i have nightmares, fear and i am experiencing depressive mood. nothing is the same anymore. i know you can't do anything about it but at least you can know that someone on the world suffers and nearly can't do anything about it. this country such a hell that you can't never get win. yes, i will sue who did this to me but i know my knee will never be the same again. as a last thing i want you to all know that i am so sorry for each of you. i believe that there is no justice in this world. best regards.
11/2012 tpf as result of hit by car
11/2012 surgery 3 screws
07/2013 prp injections 3 times
?