Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Manipulation folowiing TKR: what is success rate?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline spaldeen

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Manipulation folowiing TKR: what is success rate?
« on: July 31, 2006, 01:48:39 AM »
How effective is post-TKR manipulation in improving ROM? I havenít found information about the success rate. What is recovery period like? I had surgery 11 weeks ago. My flexion is 96 degrees active, 103 passive. I can walk, drive, and pedal a stationary bike, but still have lots of pain and edema. My physical therapist thinks th pain might be due to amount of exercise Iím now doing at the doctorís urging. It takes up most of my, and much of my husbandís time.
The Orthopedist wants to do a manipulation. He wants to see greater ROM. Iím afraid it might increase pain and edema, leading to† increased stiffness rather than helping.
Does anyone know what the usual result is?

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Manipulation folowiing TKR: what is success rate?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:14:56 PM »
I don't know the answer to your question. My OS told me that he will do a manipulation at 3 weeks post-op if he doesn't think I'm getting enough flexion. But my TKR isn't until November, so I haven't asked more.

Try posting your question in the Total Knee Replacement area in the Arthritis section further down the board. I know there are people there who have had manipulations following TKR.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline luckygrandma

• Forum Faithful
Re: Manipulation folowiing TKR: what is success rate?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
How effective is post-TKR manipulation in improving ROM? I havenít found information about the success rate. What is recovery period like? I had surgery 11 weeks ago. My flexion is 96 degrees active, 103 passive. I can walk, drive, and pedal a stationary bike, but still have lots of pain and edema. My physical therapist thinks th pain might be due to amount of exercise Iím now doing at the doctorís urging. It takes up most of my, and much of my husbandís time.
The Orthopedist wants to do a manipulation. He wants to see greater ROM. Iím afraid it might increase pain and edema, leading to† increased stiffness rather than helping.
Does anyone know what the usual result is?
I jhad a manipulation at 5 months and wish it had been done sooner. If you have  a good OS the success rate should be 100%, it is with my OS. You should see immediate results but don't be fooled it is still a lot of hard work and extensive PT after to keep the ROM. You don't just get the manipulation and figure it will correct the problem but it will make PT easier and less painful. I was not able to ride the recumbant bike before the maniipulation and right after I was on he lowest number you could get for the bend. Hope this helps. I'm sure you have heard horror stories about a manipulation the same as with TKR, but everyone is different and they wouldn't do these manipulations or TKR if the success rate wasn't pretty high.