Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery to correct miserable misalignment  (Read 1629 times)

Offline hmanroe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery to correct miserable misalignment
« on: May 16, 2006, 04:09:38 AM »
I went to Baltimore last week to see Dr. Dror Paley about my miserably misaligned leg, which is the source of all of the knee problems I've had over the last 20+ years.  I was extremely impressed with him and all of the work he has done, so I've decided to have him fix me.  He'll do an osteotomy on my right tibia, then put me in a Taylor Spatial Frame which will, over the course of a month, correct my misalignment.  Then I'll continue to wear the frame for another 3-5 months until my leg completely heals.

It's going to be quite an experience, but I'm confident that he is the best one to do it and that the course of treatment he suggests is the best way to go about it.  Of course, part of me is totally freaking out about it, but it has to be done.  My surgery isn't until September 12, so I've got lots of time to adjust to the idea of being in the frame for that long.

I'll post more as I get more information and as we get closer to the date. 

Helen

Offline Halle

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Surgery to correct miserable misalignment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:28:57 AM »
Hi Helen

I've got (well used to have) a valgus deformity and to correct it I had a femoral osteotomy.
I had lots of problems, the main one being non union of the osteotomy site. After 7 months in and out of plaster and various braces and having my plate and screws removed it still hadn't united and I was fitted with an external fixator. Five months later I have had the fixator removed and the osteotomy site is almost healed.
If I could go back in time I would DEFINATELY have asked for the fixator from the start. They look horrid and are inconvenient but the advantages massively outweigh the negatives. They are minimally invasive and accurate to the last degree. And they look worse than they feel.

I am a member of the Ilizarov site on yahoo groups and found it invaluable for advice and support.  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ilizarovs-and-fixators/

If you have any questions I'll be happy to help.

Good luck

Halide
Halide

Lateral release 1984
Roux-Goldthwaite 1986
Medial reefing 2002
TTT and femoral osteotomy April 2005
Removal of hardware due to nonunion of osteotomy July 2005
Application of 3 ring external fixator Nov 2005
One ring removed Feb 17 2006

Offline jessg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 03:08:14 PM »
Hey

I also have miserable malalignment and its driving me nuts!! I am having a femoral and tibial osteotomy with a lateral release next June so just trying to make it til then. So far I have had 4 or 5 LRs 2, TTT and 2 patella osteotomies. Lately I havent been able to walk more than 5 minutes and have put my hip out this week so been laying in bed for the past week. My OS said he was going to put me in a cast not an external fixator. He said if I want to have it I can but he thinks I should be fine without it. Let me know how your surgery goes and good luck.

Jess
Patella Baja, Miserable Malalignment
00 - Lateral Release right leg
01 - Lateral Release left leg
02 - TTT left leg
03 - TTT right leg
04 - Patella osteotomy left leg
05 - Patella osteotomy right leg

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 11:13:31 PM »
Hi everyone,

Hope you are all feeling better soon.

I am having a patella osteotomy, well part of the operation is that but he said the adjustment he is making to my patella has not really got a procedure name as it  is rarely done.   Hopefully this will help the patella which is badly inflammed and correct the bad alignment as everything is still grinding together and wearing the patella.  I am going to be in splint for quite a while this time where as just for the release I was in a brace. I am lucky I dont have to be in a cast.  I know what its like my hip and back give me problems and three months after the lateral release my hip really went in pain big time, the bursa became badly inflamed and think my back injury was not helping as well.  All you can do Jess is rest, I had a cortisone shot and that helped. Resting in bed is the best medicine till it settles down.  So take care.

All the Best
Wyn
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder

Offline jessg

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 02:35:32 PM »
Hi Wyn

Thanks for the post. I just wanted to let you know coming from someone who has had 2 patella osteotomies to ask you OS if they are going to leave the screws in. I currently have 2 screws in each knee and on my right knee one of the screws is coming through the bone (very uncomfortable) and they are scraping on the skin they are going to take them all out when i have my next surgery. I just thought you could ask you doc how long the screws need to be in and when they could be removed. (to save yourself from some extra pain if it goes like me). I mean it probably wont happen but its good to check what your options are. Good luck with the surgery and let me know if you need any advice from someone who has been there.

Jess

PS. I noticed you are from Australia where about are you. I am from Perth
Patella Baja, Miserable Malalignment
00 - Lateral Release right leg
01 - Lateral Release left leg
02 - TTT left leg
03 - TTT right leg
04 - Patella osteotomy left leg
05 - Patella osteotomy right leg

Offline Garnet

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 10:14:51 PM »
Hi Jess,

Thanks alot for the advice,  I will ask about the screws when I ring with a heap of questions for him about the operation.  Never gave it a thought that they might come out later. Have a feeling they have to stay because it is my patella they are going through.  Think I keep making alot of assumptions though, so I have to get a few things sorted out. Can you describe how the procedure was exactly performed on your patellas. My OS has told me he has only done one this particular way and it was successful and he has only heard of my condition a couple of times (probably studying cases and going to conferences) and they fix it this way preferably to other procedures (he does not like the marquet procedure (i could have spelt that wrong) and he describe two other ways but said it would not suit my problem. Because of how my knee is.

He is cutting the patella in half and removing say 3 or 4 mm of bone, he said as much as he can , (that is long ways across the patella), the putting a Herbert screw in each side to join it back together. He is going to add some periosteal (membrane) around and behind the patella.  This operation will coincidentally severe some nerves which will alleviate the pain from the inflammed patella.  He is hoping the inflammed bone will settle down and changing the position of the patella this way will permantently get rid of the pain.  He said in my case (he does not believe in doing it) removing the patella can be the only answer until I need a TKR.

What do you think, I think I will have so many more questions before the operation, that he is right I should go back and have a talk I might take too long on the phone I reckon.

Take Care and Best Wishes
hope you are feeling better soon
Wyn

I am from the Hunter Valley , New South Wales.  Not far from Newcastle.
Lt TKR July 07
Lt thinning of patella,osteotomy, periosteal graft,
hole in patella,loss of cartilage Oct 06
Lt lateral patella release/chondroplasty Feb 06
Rt shoulder acromioplasty
Back injury,disc bulges,one degenerated
Hip bursitis
Cortisone lt knee,lt hip,rt sacrolliac joint,2 rt shoulder