Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction  (Read 15837 times)

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Reconstruction
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:36:24 PM »
I am having an MPFL reconstruction in July to try and stop my left knee from dislocating.  I have already had a TTT on this knee and it has failed.  I am trying to plan and figure out how much time I need to take off from work following the surgery.  I work in a research lab and am on my feet a lot but I can rearrang my experiment schedule so that I can spend a few weeks sitting in front of the microscope.  I am having an allograft so there is no harvest site but how long should I be expected to be truely immobile.  I know from my OS that I will be on crutches for 6 weeks, I believe PWB the entire time.  I was thinking of taking 2 weeks off and wondered if that was enough time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline ClimbingGirl

• Regular Poster
Re: MPFL Reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:05:05 AM »
Hi Amy,
i am now 10 weeks post-op from my MPFL recon (hamstring) and LR and am yet to return to work. I too work in a research lab (biochemistry mostly) and would have found it too difficult to go back to it before now. The recovery has so far been much harder than I envisioned - i originally sheduled a month off work but almost 3 months out and i'm still at home. The LR has complicated things for me I think, plus my quads shut down completely for the first 3 weeks which made me very unstable and somewhat a liability  :-[. I've also had alot of swelling to contend with so all in all a slow recovery. However, there is a lot of variation in peoples recovery so you may be alot better. If you can go back to work and keep your leg elevated, be able to ice religiously and do your PT throughout the day then you may be ok to go back to work after 2 weeks. You won't know until you've had it done how you'll be. I see from your signature that microfracture may be involved? From what I understand, the recovery from this procedure alone can be hard work so this may alter the time you need off work.
My advice would be not to rush the return to work if you can - in the long run it may mean you get fewer problems.
All the best, keep us posted!
CG
Several L kneecap subluxations
R kneecap dislocation '00
Diagnostic scope Jan '06
R MPFL reconstruction & lateral release Mar '06
L MPFL reconstruction Dec '07

Offline zoe

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:15:13 PM »
Hi Amy,

I am also about 10 weeks post op from the mpfl reconstruction.  Luckily, I work freelance so I didn't work for about 1 month after surgery. But I agree with climbing girl that it has been a slower recovery than I thought it would be.  Due to post op pain, etc.  I would say that the 1st two weeks I was the most immobile. Right after the surgery I was toe touch w/crutches for about two weeks.  Then I was allowed to be full weight bearing as tolerated and get rid of crutches as soon as I felt I could. Two weeks after surgery I was put into a Donjoy brace that was locked at 0. I would say I was on crutches for another week or two before I got rid of them. Now I am allowed to bend - the brace has been unlocked but I am still limping. My quads also basically shut down and I am in physical therapy still trying to get them to wake up.

But I would say that all the time that was not allowed to put weight on it was the hardest and I am glad I was not working throughout that.

Good luck
Zoe
12/09 R knee mpfl reconstruction
3/06 L Knee MPFL Reconstruction
3/05 L Knee Synvisc Injections
7/02 R Shoulder Thermal Shrinkage
12/01 L Knee Thermal Shrinkage
12/00 R Knee Thermal Shrinkage
7/98 R Knee Lateral Release
12/92 L Knee Lateral Release

Offline doublea21

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:07:50 AM »
Climbing Girl and Zoe,

Thanks for sharing your experiences.  I am worried that I may not be ready to go back to work after 2 weeks after all.  I know for sure that if the microfracture is actually done that I probably won't be able to go to work then.  I am just so tired of dealing with my knees, I just want them to be normal.  I am hoping that I will be able to go back to work before too long since I am in graduate school and the more time I take off, the longer I will be in school.  I know that I will be on crutches for at least 6 weeks because my OS wants to take a very conservative approach to my rehab from this surgery to give it the best chance of success. 

Good luck to both of you in your recoveries.  I wish I was already through this and on my way to recovery.

Amy
Dec 98 - R and L knee LR and VMO advancement
Dec 00 - L knee TTT
May 02 - R knee TTT and VMO advancement
Dec 04 - R knee screw removal
still too many subluxations and dislocations
July 06 - R knee MPFL Reconstruction

Offline bdmrad

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 08:51:34 PM »
I had MPFL reconstruction with allograft 2 1/2 years ago. Used a crutch for one or two days, then could ambulate with brace on leg. Took a week off work. Was able to stand for short procedures but fortunately most of my work could be done sitting, with my leg elevated.  Good luck.
MPFL reconstruction 10/03

Offline manda_dickson

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »
Hi there.

I am about to undergo an MPFL reconstruction on my R knee along with a trochleaplasty and TTT during the same procedure... a 'belt and braces job' as described by my OS! If anyone has had a similar combination of procedures and can give me any advice as to pain relief, recuperation and recovery I would be immensely grateful!

Manda

Offline lynneM

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 08:02:22 PM »
Hi - I have just had a MPFL Recon with gracilis (hamstring). I am 9 days post op. The pain the first 48 hours was bad but after that -I was very quickly fully weight bearing, off the pain killers and doing well in terms of getting around - couldnt believe how easy it was actually.

However once I started the physio 5 days ago its a different story - lots pain on the medial side where the graft and screw is and I cant do any straight leg lift - the quads seem to have lost movement and strength - although in my case they were not up to much before the op, would collapse on squatting etc.

The good news is that although the physio is tough I am getting movement back slowly and I can see improvement each day although its small improvements.

I really took on board RICE from various people's stories on this bulletin board so can't recommend it enough. My surgeon has signed me off for a month and thinks 6 weeks is the most I need to be off - having said this he is pretty aggressive about the physio which may speed things up.

Good luck with yours!

Lynne
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:09:26 PM by lynneM »
October 2006 Arthroscopy & Patella Scrape
May 2007 MPFR & Gracilis
March 2010 TTT & LR

Offline parth1234

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 01:07:12 PM »
could all you guys and any person who has undergone an mpfl reconstruction please give me their e-mail id because i need to know more about the feeling you get after the operation

Offline rjolson1219

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 01:11:42 PM »
I'm on post-op day 8...I''ve been able to walk without crutches since POD #6. I actually just finished a 15min walk on the treadmill. I think with this specific operation, it all depends on your quad strength. Prior to my surgery, I had been preparing for a marathon when my knee gave out on a long run. I would say my recovery is definitely not the norm. If you were in good physical condition prior to surgery, the better the odds.

On a side note: Has anybody used a TENS(Transcutaneuous electrical nerve stimulator) post op for pain relief. Mine has been outstanding, very minimal dull/aching pain when its hooked up, I love it!

Offline LoosePatellas

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 02:35:27 AM »
Hi Amy,

I'm in a very similar boat as you: in grad school, and having the MPFL recon done over winter break. The thing is, I have to be back at school and teaching my undergrads by January 31st, about a month after the surgery! (There's no way around this, as it's the sole source of my health insurance now...) Anyway, based on your experience, will I be able to teach (somewhat) comfortably? I don't mind being seated through lecture, it's more the level of pain/ability to get dropped off and picked up from campus that I'm worried about. Any advice you have would be useful.

Also, I'm studying for my qualifying exams which are in March - am I correct in assuming post-op time will be plenty of good time to read and study? Or, are post-op days no-good for getting work done?
Unstable kneecaps, dislocations since age 6
1992: Arthroscopic Surgery on right knee to remove loose body
No dislocations from 2005-2010
Three dislocations in 2010
RK MPFL Reconstruction schedule for 1/3/2011!!!

Offline candy1960

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 03:31:07 AM »
Oct. 30, 2010: Am on day 9 of post-op MPFL surgery. I am a 50 yr old female horse ranch owner. Both kneecaps have dislocated several times since I was 13 yrs old! Finally decided to seek some help. HOWEVER, nobody prepared me for how excruciating the pain could be the first 6 days. OMG. I had requested a femoral block (so glad). But after that wears off...the ice packs and pain killers didn't help much. So...just be prepared for intense pain. Will start physical therapy Nov. 3...not sure if I can crutch to the building. Right now, it is all I can do to get up and go to the bathroom and back.  Anybody have any advice on how to cope with this ongoing pain?

Offline candy1960

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »
12/24/10: Just an update on my progress.
MPLF on 10/22/10...still wearing knee brace. However, can bend to 112 degrees. Physical therapist trying to just to get the knee to BEND. Am doing rehab at home--leg lifts, bending, etc. My poor right leg has atrophied quite a bit. Depressing. But, hope this will corret chronic dislocation. Next year I will have left knee done. But, oh boy, the pain the first week is intense. I'm not going to sugar coat this surger: It hurts!!! I speak from experience --have had legs broken, arm broken, collar bone broken, kneecaps dislocated multiple times. Nothing even comes close to the pain the first week of this surgery. So, brace yourself.

support