Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: too young for knee replacement  (Read 1763 times)

Offline harriet49

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
too young for knee replacement
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:07:08 PM »
I am 52 years old and have been told that I am too young for TKR. I have had the Arthoscopic surgery. The surgeon came out to see my husband after surgery, she said the only thing that will help her is a TKR...then at post Op visit she says I am too young, You will have to wear this brace for at least 10 years...I had complained about my other knee and she said Oh we can put a brace on that one too....
 At the age of 6 my family and I were involed in an automobile accident and I had injuries to both of my knees and they are disfigured as a result of the injuries. This has changed my lifestyle, grooming habits, it has touched every aspect of my life...I can't do the things that I had enjoyed...I have pain with the brace and without it.....
I go for a second opinion May 2, 2006..... I'm hoping for a more postive outcome .

Offline blackbeltgirl

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: too young for knee replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:26:12 PM »
Please... there are people here in their 20s and 30s who've had TKRs.  Not saying it's an ideal situation.  But while 52 is far from old, it's old enough that your OS shouldn't tell you to wait 10 years for pain relief.  If the 2nd opinion isn't willing to give you back your life, find a 3rd opionion.

Good luck-
Jess
ACI was supposed to be 2/21/06.  On 6/29/06 Insurance co said have another scope, and if it still looks good, they'll ok the ACI.
Microfracture Dec 7, 2004
   3cm x 6cm lesion, LFC; 3cm x 1cm lesion, trochlear groove; lateral tibial plateau lesion
2nd degree black belt, tae kwon do (had to stop)

Offline bcicio

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
    • BCteez - KNEEE & HIP SURGERY T-SHIRTS
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 01:53:59 PM »
Keep in mind that not only are there different types of braces for different knee situations, but there are also different brands -- and one brand might be more comfortable for you than another.  If your current brace came with a custom fit warranty, you should contact the company and tell them the brace hurts.

Though my OS claims my knee condition is in "fair" shape, I know differently from the pain I experince on a daily basis.  But I've decided to put off TKR for as long as possible and keep going the brace route because it was explained to me that, because TKR is your last option, if something goes wrong with the TKR you are stuck in a wheelchair for the rest of your life.  THAT's what I'm too young for.  Anyway, I feel for you.  Best wishes in your search for pain relief.

Bill C.
Massapequa Park, NY USA
1973 - R. patella lig relocate (Hauser)
1974 - L. patella lig relocate (Hauser)
1978 - R. medial meniscus trim
1979 - L. medial meniscus trim
1988 - Bilateral medial meniscus trim
2000 - L. ACL recon (allograft)
2001 - R. ACL recon (allograft)
2005 - L. debrisment
9/14/11 - BTKR (single surgery)

Offline GIMPY64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 03:01:12 PM »
Hello,

I just read your message and know what you mean.  At 35 I was told that I would eventually need a TKR (too young of course).  Now at 41 ( still two young), after several ops and various other things I think it's time.  I'll be seeing my OS on Thurs. which should be interesting as I think I'm going to ask about having it done.  I know I'm too young but it beats hobblinng around in pain not being able to walk, do stairs, etc.  So, hang in there the is an end to all of this.  I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Gimpy 64

Offline harriet49

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 02:37:41 PM »
Well went for my second opinion and they took xrays and the Doc that I saw said tht I had a pretty bad looking knee...he said that he agreeded with everything that the other Doc had said except about the TKR now....He said that he could not see someone living there life in a brace for 10-12 years...and possibly having two braces....and by the way the 1st Doc had told me tht she was going out of town for two months , that I could get another opinion if I wanted to....well during her two months away  she had hip replacement and she is in her 40's...can you believe that she would not agree for me at 52 to have TKR, and turned around and at at 40 having hip replacements....
I will be doing it soon, but haven't committed myself yet...

Offline bikersmurf

• Forum Faithful
  • Limping, but walking!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 02:57:18 PM »
Hello,
 I agree, age should not have anything to do with it. I went yesterday to my OS and herd bad news and then  he tells me  how bad it has become and then no replace ment why? To young. Then in 8 years or so then he suggest replacement. I can understand how you feel. They don't live with the pain and have no idea what it is like to have the injuries we all have.I'm glad you got into for a second opinon. That is quit a double standard she has going there. Take your time and decide what would be better for you.I hope things are going to be looking better for you.
BS
Motorcycle accident(open patella shattered)
8-05 reconstruction surgery wires pins, crown and figure eight , FEb 06, had bad fall and damaged knee and hardware. May 5 06 op to remove hardware and repair tissue, quad and nerve damage. Recovering!!

Offline GIMPY64

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 03:50:49 PM »
Hi again everyone,

Well, I'm of to my OS today.  I will be interesting to see what he says, most of the time he's very logical and has in the past indicated that I'm too young.  I think I may not have a choice now but I'm open to options.  It has become increasing difficult to do things and get around and at this point I can't even walk half a block with taking a rest...I feel like a 90 year old women. But then again if I were they wouldn't hesitate at doing a replacement.  Hmmmm.
I always try and keep a positive attitude but my it's wearing thin, and I'm now starting to get short tempered and cranky with everyone.  All I can do is take it day by day...
Well, that's all, I was feeling uneasy about the visti but feel much better getting this off my back. Thanks

Offline MWalker

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 04:15:45 PM »
Hi Harriet,

There are so many factors to consider in getting a tkr. I am sure you already know this. I am 40 years old. I just recently had a high tibial osteotomy to stave off a tkr in my right knee. I will never do another hto again for my left knee which is worse than my right. Anyway, I decided that I will wait for as long as I can to get a tkr because of the lonevity factor. Thesetkr parts don't last forever and I was told by 3 diff doctors that the tkr parts are like brake pads on a car. The more yu drive the quicker the brake pads get used. They were concerned about revision knee replacements and going in 2-3 more timesin my life reduces the chances of it being effective. HIP replacements, I am told are different in that they are not as weight barring (sp?) as knees are. The doctors also told me that my weight, activity level and other lifestyle factors are taken into consideration.

You mentioned you are in your 50's. From what I read, os are comfortable doing a tkr on women age 60 and over and men age 65 and over. Your just a few years short of this. I am glad you are considering this surgery. The joint unloader braces I think you referred to in your post are difficult to wear. My only suggestion is that you develop upper body strength before your surgery            Matt
Dislocated knee in 1989 in Budapest, Hungary
Arthoscopic surgery in September, 2004 on left knee
HTO on right knee in April, 2006
Presently "bone on bone" in both knees
"I am too young for this"

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 04:17:25 PM »
You need to tell the OS about your quality of life. If you can't do much and your quality of life is bad, the OS should give you a TKR.  If he refuses, get another opinion, preferably from an OS that does only joint replacements.  They are very skilled and are more likely to be able, somewhere in the future to do 1 or 2 revisions.

Good Luck
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline KnowKnees

• Regular Poster
  • Too young for 2 total knees / revision
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 05:20:12 PM »
Harriet,

Many of us have heard that story "too young for TKA" .  You will know when your body needs relief. 

I started having chronic knee pain at 38 years of age.  From 38 to 43 my life was a steady diet of synvisc every 4 months, cortisone alternating in between synvisc injections, anti-inflamatories, pain pills, painful large Baker's Cysts, and my quality of life was sedentary and getting fatter by the day because who can keep in shape when you can barely walk?

I had my first TKA in Feb 2005.  OS messed that one up by using a size that was too big for my knee.  I had my first revision at 44 years of age, this past March.  Eight weeks post op of my revision I feel super!   :D  If I had a quality OS the first time I would have had both knees replaced by now and out on the golf course!

You must weigh the risks vs. benefits.  You know I hated my life.  I am not used to being out of shape and sedentary.  Though I won't be hitting any more home runs, I can at least enjoy my life as an older athlete.  You know at any time any one of us could be hit by a bus, so what then?  Wouldn't you rather enjoy your time here and be relatively pain free? 

I admit I will miss walking like Chester on Gunsmoke, but I will not miss the lifestyle that goes with chronic end of life knee issues!

You can listen to everyone and their own experience and opinions, but you can only decide for yourself what is right for you.

Best of luck in weighing out your options!

Michale (one down and one to go)  ;D

Knowknees - Left TKR (2005) and Left revision one year later (2006), Right knee - medial menisectomy (1977), arthroscope (2003), Right TKA scheduled November 2006

support