Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Author Topic: what is myxoid degeneration of the meniscus  (Read 26719 times)

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
what is myxoid degeneration of the meniscus
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:04:07 PM »
Hi,
I recently had an MRI of my knee.  For the most part eveything looks good.  I was in a car accident in December and I thought I might have injured the area on my knee where I had my microfracture performed.  Turns out there is no damage to it.  Whew!!  The radiologist did write "there is no evidence of a meniscal tear, however, there is some mild type II myxoid degeneration within the posterior horn of the medial meniscus".  Can anyone explain myxoid degeneration of the meniscus?  I've been looking on the web, but I can't find much of anything.  Thanks.
Casey
LOA #2 and hardware removal 12/15/08-new cartilage from ACI looks "GOOD"
LOA on left knee 3/18/07
ACI and HTO on left knee 10/22/07
scope of right knee on 6/21/07
microfracture left knee 3/18/05

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
Re: what is myxoid degeneration of the meniscus
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 03:11:05 PM »
Its when the meniscus goes 'mushy'

i've got the same problem

Just a word of warning about it, which is that its considered to be a 'pre-injury' state - ie a tear may well appear in the future.
Some would say its also the beginnings of OA
I would avoid any twisting of the knee joint and deep squats.

my knees are actually quite painful, and a bit stiff in the morning, i hope you're managing the symptoms OK
plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 04:15:01 PM »
FJ,
Thanks for the info!!!  Any idea what causes this?  Did your OS tell you not to exercise or just not to squat and twist the knee.  Were you offered any treatment for it or are you just supposed to wait until it tears and then get treatment.  I'm not sure if I am having any symptoms as a result of it.  I have some pain, but I always thought it was residual pain from my microfracture surgery. Casey 
LOA on left knee 3/18/07

Offline FJ

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 10:47:11 AM »
what causes it?
with me it was a combination of things.  Wear and tear plus rubbish knees.  I have knocked knees and have exercised quite a lot (and still do) and this seems to have done them in.  I am only 32 mind, so you have to think that bad luck and genetics play a major factor.

I've had a lot of problems with OS's and PT's so can't really give you good guidance from a professional point of view about what's best.  My basic rule is 'if it hurts don't do it'.

What's worked best for me is to do quad strengthening exercises every day.  I also practice yoga, but with focus on anatomical alignment.  I do squat very carefully but squatting puts enormous amount of pressure on meniscus so please be careful.  You should never ever twist the knee (dodgy knees or not), hip, knee, foot in a straight line always. 

I cannot really run - it really hurts my knees, but I think that it very much depends person to person. 

Damaged meniscus cannot heal because of a lack of blood supply.  Therefore, you must be aware that if you make your knees worse they will not get any better.  Pain has a drip drip drip effect.  Do not take chances with your knees, its a difficult lesson to accept and learn.

I think that my OS will eventually give me further treatment.  Its likely that a damaged meniscus will eventually tear.  But I'm waiting for as long as I can.  I already had plica removal and found that operation made my knee worse.  Do what's best for you.
Good luck.
plica syndrome
athroscopy left knee plica removal
meniscus degeneration
osteo arthritis

Offline casey2291

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 05:02:37 PM »
Hey,
Thanks for your response.  I am only 29 and I too have been blessed with genetically bad knees.  Plus, I've been playing sports all my life which I'm sure has led to my knee problems.  I will speak with my OS about it when I see him, but for now I'm not going to worry too much until there is an actual tear.  Plus, I don't even have any pain in the area where the degeneration is.  I have just gotten back to a point (after two long years) where I can start to do some of the things I enjoy with minimal pain so I'm going to just enjoy that for awhile and worry about my knee a little later.  Probably not the wisest thing to do, but I'm not willing to give up the sports that I love just yet.  I hope your knees start to feel better soon!!!
Casey
LOA on left knee 3/18/07